Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a day of searching the site for an answer ive decided to just ask.
I have a 2013 shaker 500 and the mids and highs are terrible. Im looking into infinity primus because of the clarity. Since these are 4ohms, do I and a aftermarket amp and run new speaker wire from the headunit to the amp then the speakers? Ive never done a full speaker replacement

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just installed the Infinity 682.9 in front and they are great. Now the back speakers sound really bad. I am going to change the rears too - not sure yet what I will use...maybe just another pair of infinity's.

The installation is super easy too - less than an hour.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just installed the Infinity 682.9 in front and they are great. Now the back speakers sound really bad. I am going to change the rears too - not sure yet what I will use...maybe just another pair of infinity's.

The installation is super easy too - less than an hour.
Did you replace any speaker wire? Or add an aftermarket amp?
I guess what im asking is what exactly did you do for the install.

·
Registered
212 Posts
No Amp - however I would like one later. No new wire.

First - you have to order a pair of speaker adapters from an older model (2010) because I have a premium - if you have a base, you dont need them.

4R3Z-18B947-AA DOOR SPEAKER HOLDER RIGHT
4R3Z-18B947-BA DOOR SPEAKER HOLDER LEFT

Then I ordered the speakers.

Took one door panel off, clipped the harness (will never put OEM speakers back in) and connected to my speaker's crossover. The Infinity's are unusual to have a crossover / connection like this. I have changed dozens of speakers over the years but never had one connect like this. Wiring was super easy but you have to double stick the crossover dongle to the door liner behind the speaker - not a big deal at all, just a little different. Put the door panel back on and did the other side.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No Amp - however I would like one later. No new wire.

First - you have to order a pair of speaker adapters from an older model (2010) because I have a premium - if you have a base, you dont need them.

4R3Z-18B947-AA DOOR SPEAKER HOLDER RIGHT
4R3Z-18B947-BA DOOR SPEAKER HOLDER LEFT

Then I ordered the speakers.

Took one door panel off, clipped the harness (will never put OEM speakers back in) and connected to my speaker's crossover. The Infinity's are unusual to have a crossover / connection like this. I have changed dozens of speakers over the years but never had one connect like this. Wiring was super easy but you have to double stick the crossover dongle to the door liner behind the speaker - not a big deal at all, just a little different. Put the door panel back on and did the other side.
Cool thanks man.
Now if I have an aftermarket amp is the installation just like it would be with an aftermarket deck as in running all new speaker wire?

·
Registered
212 Posts
From what I understand, there is an amplifier to the left of where the drivers left foot goes. I am not sure if it is for the woofers in the doors or all the speakers in the door or if maybe there is even one on each side for each door. If we are lucky and it drives only the door speakers, then you should be able to get a harness adapter and put a new (better amp) where the old one is and connect it and be on your way. Just not sure if that is the case. Unless you are going super high end/high power, then you would need new wire. If just a casual listener, not an over the edge audiophile, the wire will suffice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And last question. I have a premium witg shaker 500. My front door speakers can I use a 4 ohm aftermarket speaker or do I have to ise 2 ohms

·
Registered
212 Posts
Quite frankly - I don't know the answer. I found that numerous people used the Infinity's so I decided to try them. I was reluctant to order them and not hear them first (never did that before) but there is just not a large selection of 6x8 / 5x7 speakers to hear anywhere.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I happened to think about something I forgot to share. On the right side the orange / white wire is negative. On the left, I think it was brown / white.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im thinking ima buy a separate amp in the long run. But im going to buy polk speakers for fhe interior then later add the amp in. But when running a separate amp. How do I run the new wire

1 - 14 of 14 Posts