Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 92 LX automatic is really slow to accelerate, I have called my mechanic to ask him what can be the problem. He told me that American cars aren't like foreign cars, basically he said that they are slow. I really find that hard to believe. What can I put on my car's stock engine to make it faster?... I already changed the spark plugs and cables, bought a performance chip from Ebay and a cold air intake from americanmuscle.com

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
My 92 LX automatic is really slow to accelerate, I have called my mechanic to ask him what can be the problem. He told me that American cars aren't like foreign cars, basically he said that they are slow. I really find that hard to believe. What can I put on my car's stock engine to make it faster?... I already changed the spark plugs and cables, bought a performance chip from Ebay and a cold air intake from americanmuscle.com
There's ur problem NEVER buy a "chip" they are all rip offs get yourself a hand held tuner from someone like bama and get a cat back exhaust system and some 3:73 gears and if ur car is a 5.0 get some gt-40 heads and intake

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Never mind I just saw ur car is a 2.3 well besides exhaust and headers theirs not a lot of stuff for naturally aspirated 2.3 honestly I hate to be that guy but u can do a v8 or svo swap

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
LX HP increase

Go with a Offroad Dual Exhaust, get someone to Custom Tune your car. See about changing your stock Gears to something else. And you will probably notice a big difference.:good:

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have a 89 LX 2.3 auto as well for the moment. I changed out most of the sensors and I cut 1 of the cats off and soon going to get the 97 ranger header. Avoid those chips from eBay. I wouldn't trust them. You could change out your coil packs.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Agree, lose that 'chip' they hurt more than they help. All they claim to do is increase HP by increasing spark but you need someone to actually tune it so the A/F is right

·
Premium Member
14,477 Posts
Get an SCT Tuner from AM with BAMA tunes on it.

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Or custom dyno tune

·
Registered
160 Posts
ok first understand that if you want real power from the 2.3l, just adding things like a tuner and headers and even a better cam just wont get the job done. remember that these engines put out 88 hp stock, and with the aftermarket mods you and the others have indicated, you might get to 100hp. i say start with a turbo kit from some place like gale banks or turbonetics, and crank the boost pressure up to about 20psi. then add in larger injectors, and a tuner along with a higher volume fuel pump. at this point you are now talking some real power, about 250hp or so. add a cam to the mix and you can push that to nearly 300hp. add some good head porting and pick up another 45-50hp.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Unfotunately, that motor is what your limiting factor is as well as the AOD in the fox cars. That motor paired with that transmission is proabably putting you at around 60 HP to the wheels in a 3400lb+ car. The 5.0 fox cars aren't even that particularly fast by today's standards without some modifications.

I loved my '92 LX 5.0, but even with 215 hp and 275 lbs/ft of tq it was never going to set any records in a straight line.

A turbo kit will definitely get you moving, but you'd have to do some research on how solid those motors are so you don't blow it up!

·
Banned
2,472 Posts
On the turbo note, these 2.3 s are rated for about 7 psi of boost before needing internals

·
Registered
545 Posts
Not sure but I do believe the 92 -93 had an increase of power to 105 hp. Let me know if I'm wrong?

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

What ever you do to this just remember its still unique. In my eyes at least. I wouldn't mind having one if it had 20 hp. It's still a mustang!

·
Banned
2,472 Posts
Not sure but I do believe the 92 -93 had an increase of power to 105 hp. Let me know if I'm wrong?

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

What ever you do to this just remember its still unique. In my eyes at least. I wouldn't mind having one if it had 20 hp. It's still a mustang!
You're right, they also have the ranger roller cam , and actually I thought it was 90-93 hmm

1 - 20 of 26 Posts