Mustang Evolution Forum banner
961 - 980 of 995 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hello all, just registered here so I could post in this thread. Bought a Premium cluster for mine over 6 weeks ago and have spent most of the time since trying to find someone to program it for me. After a couple dealers acting like they didn't want to do it or not being able to access my ECM (no idea why), I decided to buy a VCM clone off EBay and do it myself. Of course as my luck goes, I cannot get my laptop to recognize the clone. I get the 'installing device driver' notification when I plug it up but it always fails a minute or two later. The green light on the VCM signalling that it is hooked to a PC comes on for a couple secs then goes back off (the power on comes on and stays on). The VCM does beep when first plugged in.

I have downloaded this software :https://www.boschdiagnostics.com/pro/software-ford-vcm-ii as well as V86 inside a VM on my Win7 laptop. Even if I open the Bosch software it won't detect the VCM. Am I missing a driver somewhere or have gotten the luck of the draw with a bad clone?

I am close to being done with this and just selling the cluster but I'm trying to have more patience. :)

FWIW I did try plugging the VCM into my gaming PC and never got the driver error and the light (PC connection) flashed every few seconds. I then tried installing the Bosch software to that PC and it still said no VCM connected.
I got the right driver and was successful with a clone in windows 7. Since the app quit working on my iphone I don't come here much anymore

13 GT stage 1 Roush TVS

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gonna give this a whirl.

Located a display in TX for 85.00 and I just ordered the VCM II with IDS off of EBAY. I'll order the switch this week.

I needed the VCM II for upgrading the supercharger to stage II and III later, so...2 birds type of thing.

I'm just nervous about the VCM II and the software not loading correctly or license being outdated or some other catastrophe that would require me to send the PCM back to Roush and cost even more money to repair.

I would love to have the extra gauges and track apps though.

fingers crossed. will update when I get the rest of the parts and the nerve to plug it all in.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Guys look into forscan and the correct obd2 dongle. It will save you money when doing this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys,

I had this install done at the dealership, however I noticed that the mycolor option isn't in the settings. I have a 2013 mustang gt and am just wondering if it needs to be programmed a different way to have that option. After I researched, a lot of forums said that it would automatically be on there already after all the PATS and ABS is done. Just curious why mine doesn't have it. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Hey guys,

I had this install done at the dealership, however I noticed that the mycolor option isn't in the settings. I have a 2013 mustang gt and am just wondering if it needs to be programmed a different way to have that option. After I researched, a lot of forums said that it would automatically be on there already after all the PATS and ABS is done. Just curious why mine doesn't have it. Thanks!
You need to provide them with I believe it was 2 as built codes to program in.
I had a similar problem, either track apps and/or my color options weren't there the first time.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S8+

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey all- I need some help. I just attempted to have a mobile locksmith do the PATS on my car, so I could at least look at the pretty cluster I purchased... The cluster wouldn't recognize both keys. The code he kept getting said that it could only partially read the key. Any ideas? He cut a new key, to see if it would recognize it with no luck as well. I put the old cluster back in, he had to do PATS (I thought the old cluster would retain the keys that were originally programmed?) again and the car starts fine with all three keys, including the new one. Any words of wisdom would be great.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry, got ahead of myself... I have a 2013 GT, auto, base. No real mods: Bama tune, cai, tb spacer and axle backs... I bought the cluster used, but from someone I trust from the forum (knew his sh*t and has been a helpful part of this thread). Let me know if you need any other info. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys look into forscan and the correct obd2 dongle. It will save you money when doing this.
I paid $85 for a mobile locksmith to come out and render both my keys inoperable with both my old gauge cluster and my new cluster. So now I need to fix it myself or tow it to ford. I've been looking into the forscan options and looks like this would be the correct dongle
https://www.amazon.com/OHP-ELMconfi...ktop?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=cm_cr_lh_d_bdcrb_top
After I have that, I just download the forscan onto my laptop, PM them for the extended license and then do a PATS relearn and add the correct As build data for my 2013 manual no back up camera car. Correct?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Completely unrelated BUT @deerslayer, Hey buddy! I saw your thread about SS exhaust tip and Casswell blackener. I followed your instructions BUT it didnt turn out great on my 305 SS exhaust tips. Anywise, i purchased some 0000 Steel wool as you suggested and rubbed my exhaust tips, but it didnt remove the blackener one bit! I originally cleaned my tips, mixed the blackener with 50% h2o, and applied it, then I sealed it with engine oil. Any ideas at all of what I can try to remove this stuff?? Thanks man! [email protected] or 732-379-2733! I am desparate haha!

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK guys, here is a different question regarding clusters. Can you install a 2012 GT500 mycolor cluster into a 2013 GT base mustang w/ brembo?? Everything I see is people installing 13/14 trackapps clusters into 11-14 cars, but nothing that says going the opposite way with a 2012 into a 2013.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone know if these gauges with the lcd are all "my color" gauges? I'm looking at doing this swap on my '14 GT Base model. I have found a few of these clusters on Ebay, Some say mycolor some do not. I was not sure if there is a difference. I do notice several show different ford part #'s which I'm not sure what that means. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Save time and money and purchase the display and then hire a mobile programmer to do the gauges and keys. The software and devices are out there for purchase but that method isn’t an exact science and you will spend hours trying to sort through the communication failures. The mobile programmers know all the tricks because it isn’t an exact science and they fight it every day. Just a suggestion... if you want to give the device and software a try anyway.... I’ll sell you the whole un-touched package for cheap!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My experience... I sat on my cluster for several months trying to find someone local, with a VCMII to help me install my cluster. Then, had a mobile auto locksmith try do PATS, he couldn't program the keys to the cluster...

A few weeks ago I found some info on using Forscan (free) and an ELM327 ($17 from Amazon, prime shipping). In less than 20 minutes I had the cluster installed with Track-Apps, MyColor, etc. working. You will have to request an extended license from Forscan (also free) to do the PATS re-learn, but it is very simple and I do not consider myself to be extremely tech-ie...

Video I used (not me, not do I know this person): https://youtu.be/C7zFOLFA3bM

ELM327 I used: VINT-TT55502 ELM327 USB modified For all Windows Forscan ELMconfig Focccus HS-CAN / MS-CAN compatible with Ford and Mazda https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N18TOFB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_OeCuCbMDR39A8

Forscan: https://forscan.org/home.html

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
2014 base cluster premium

So I went the ForScan route and it was surprisingly easy. Only true expense was paying the dealership to program the odometer back for me. Didn't even have to mess with ASBuilt data. After I did the PATS programming; Trackapps were there!

961 - 980 of 995 Posts