Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
1) Take it to the local track (stay off of the public streets for this sort of activity)

2) Traction controll off

3) RPM's up, dump the clutch

4) Repeat number 2, using different RPM ranges until you get the results you want

5) Buy stock in your favorite tire company.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) Take it to the local track (stay off of the public streets for this sort of activity)

2) Traction controll off

3) RPM's up, dump the clutch

4) Repeat number 2, using different RPM ranges until you get the results you want

5) Buy stock in your favorite tire company.
#5 haha

I meant in an auto

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
Not sure if there's any better way to launch with an automatic....

What rear differential gear setup do you have? A higher ratio will help that; 3:73 seems to be the prefered ratio of quick start offs. Highway cruising is still decent, but milage drops.

But then again, I'll assume that MPG is not the issue here!

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Until you get an aftermarket tune the launch on an automatic is pretty easy. The torque management acts like a two step and limits you to 2,000 rpm. You can stage, hold the brake with your left foot, and mat the accelerator and it will go to 2,000 and hold. Release the brake and you're good to go.

As far as what is "the best" way to launch - you have to figure that out for your car. It is a combination of tires, tire pressure, weather conditions, track conditions, and your tune and stall speed on the convertor. I find that most of the time on a set of drag radials I need about 20lbs of air and between 1,800 and 2,000 on the tach.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Not sure if there's any better way to launch with an automatic....

What rear differential gear setup do you have? A higher ratio will help that; 3:73 seems to be the prefered ratio of quick start offs. Highway cruising is still decent, but milage drops.

But then again, I'll assume that MPG is not the issue here!
If you get 3:73 gears one is going to need better tires than the stock ones the 11 plus v6 comes with. Way to much gear for the stock tires. I'm thinking 3:55 gears would be good for keeping the stock tires.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Best way to launch the 13 v6..
I hold my left foot on the brake and my right on the gas and hold at 4K rpm (aftermarket tune to allow this) and then launch!! I have 3.73 gears Michelins which are good but are stock. They don't spin much at all honestly. I have a good take off

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
To get it to 4,000 rpm you must also have an aftermarket torque convertor. That is very high for the stock convertor. Usually with the stock convertor the rear tires will start to turn once you cross 2,000 rpm.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Bucko's proces with the manual is actually what I tried after the car was broken in. took traction control and stability off, reset it with my key..so car wouldnt ask me 2 hundred questions, and just played with it in a old closed malls parking lot. As for the tires...i'll have enough fun when I go to replace these odd 19" rubbers. Thank God I work at a dealership and can get their cost +10% for employee pricing!

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Until you get an aftermarket tune the launch on an automatic is pretty easy. The torque management acts like a two step and limits you to 2,000 rpm. You can stage, hold the brake with your left foot, and mat the accelerator and it will go to 2,000 and hold. Release the brake and you're good to go.

As far as what is "the best" way to launch - you have to figure that out for your car. It is a combination of tires, tire pressure, weather conditions, track conditions, and your tune and stall speed on the convertor. I find that most of the time on a set of drag radials I need about 20lbs of air and between 1,800 and 2,000 on the tach.
Mine doesn't do this. I can launch around 2,500 and it'll just climb and climb and climb. 5.1 0-60. Pssh, more like a solid 4 with my driving.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
To get it to 4,000 rpm you must also have an aftermarket torque convertor. That is very high for the stock convertor. Usually with the stock convertor the rear tires will start to turn once you cross 2,000 rpm.
My 12 auto lets me hold at 3500-4k I just gotta press down on the brakes hard. But yes circle 5 released a torque converter for the 5.0 but we have the same tranny so I'm looking into it so I can hold at 6k

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
I hold my left foot on the brake and my right on the gas and hold at 4K rpm (aftermarket tune to allow this) and then launch!! I have 3.73 gears Michelins which are good but are stock. They don't spin much at all honestly. I have a good take off
My 12 auto lets me hold at 3500-4k I just gotta press down on the brakes hard. But yes circle 5 released a torque converter for the 5.0 but we have the same tranny so I'm looking into it so I can hold at 6k
I don't see any way that on the stock automatic and stock torque convertor you can possibly be getting up to 4,000 rpm - no matter how hard you hold the brakes. The torque convertor won't let that happen; that is the way it is designed. Either your tach is broken or you aren't reading it correctly.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I don't see any way that on the stock automatic and stock torque convertor you can possibly be getting up to 4,000 rpm - no matter how hard you hold the brakes. The torque convertor won't let that happen; that is the way it is designed. Either your tach is broken or you aren't reading it correctly.
Lol ill take a video it's seriously not that hard guys hahahaha

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
there is no magic way to get a perfect launch each time

it can vary on temp, tire type, road/traction conditions etc.

Best way is to learn the car so you can get off the line as fast as possible (most gas) with as little clutch slip as possible (slight tire spin)

If auto hold brake give gas and go super easy there

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Lol ill take a video it's seriously not that hard guys hahahaha
I need to see the video. The turbo guys can't get the rpm's up to spool the blower because of the torque convertor. If you can bring it up to 3,500 for launch an automatic I want to see it.

Are you confusing a burnout with a race launch? To launch you bring the RPM up WITHOUT breaking the rear tires free to start the race. To do a burnout you hold the brake, bring the rpm up with the intention of breaking the rear tires free to heat them up while holding the car still. That is a different thing and one where you will get to 5,000 rpm (actually I watch MPH to get up to 50 in second gear for a couple seconds). And after that is when you stage the car and bring it up on the convertor, or less depending upon your set up and car and conditions. At that point you don't want the tires to break free.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I need to see the video. The turbo guys can't get the rpm's up to spool the blower because of the torque convertor. If you can bring it up to 3,500 for launch an automatic I want to see it.

Are you confusing a burnout with a race launch? To launch you bring the RPM up WITHOUT breaking the rear tires free to start the race. To do a burnout you hold the brake, bring the rpm up with the intention of breaking the rear tires free to heat them up while holding the car still. That is a different thing and one where you will get to 5,000 rpm (actually I watch MPH to get up to 50 in second gear for a couple seconds). And after that is when you stage the car and bring it up on the convertor, or less depending upon your set up and car and conditions. At that point you don't want the tires to break free.
A burnout I do that. On launch I don't just wait for the light to turn green and press the gas -_- I press the brake and hold my desired rpm so when they third yellow light comes up I let go of that break and **** book it!

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Get the video up Charlie, I need to see how you manage to bring it up to 3,500-4,000 at the tree without breaking the rear tires loose with a factory 2,000 stall convertor.

·
Registered
621 Posts
+1 for conditions, and tires, wider on the rear will help.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts