Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Main question: is it safe to keep a battery charger connected to the battery while it is still connected to the car or should I disconnect the battery from the car and even possibly remove it from the engine bay over the winter?

I plan to keep this thing called a battery tender plus float charger maintainer connected to the battery basically 24/7 over the winter months to keep it charged. I'm not sure if its safe to keep it connected to the car during that time as well. I was thinking about removing it from the car and setting it on the floor or something away from the car in case of fire or an overcharge of some sort.

I also was unsure if leaving it connected to the car may send a current through the cars wiring system and electrical components potentially causing additional wear and tear compared to having it completely disconnected thus having no voltage being transmitted throughout the car.

I just had to buy a new battery spring 2019 after the battery being only 3 years old. During the winter my battery was becoming completely discharged at times and this diminished the life span of the battery it also probably took a little toll on my alternator. I also have to purchase a resistor but that is besides the point.

·
Registered
70 Posts
if you are not going to move the car, disconnect both poles of the battery and put some grease on the terminals

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Put a battery tender on it with the cables still on and forget about. Don't overthink this.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Either a tender, or remove the battery completely and store it indoors at room temp. Cold kills batteries. I always remove the batteries from my power equipment during the winter and store them in the basement. Don't see why the same logic wouldn't work for a car. Other than electronics not having a constant source of power to draw off of. Sure fire way to reset everything back to factory next spring.. :D

·
Registered
497 Posts
I would advise you to keep an eye on that battery if you keep a "battery tender" on it 24/7. They can be charged until they are dry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
battery - leave connected.

I used to disconnect the battery during the winter, but it changed/cleared the computer settings. I had to drive it awhile once I reconnected the battery to reset...

I use a Black & Decker trickle charger (battery tender). As written before - check the water level every couple of months to keep the level where it needs to be...Needless to say, use distilled water.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I would advise you to keep an eye on that battery if you keep a "battery tender" on it 24/7. They can be charged until they are dry.
False. A battery tender is only charging the battery when the voltage drops. Otherwise it just maintains. I keep a tender on my Challenger all year round. No issues doing that.

·
Registered
497 Posts
False. A battery tender is only charging the battery when the voltage drops. Otherwise it just maintains. I keep a tender on my Challenger all year round. No issues doing that.
That's what I'm saying. If you watch a battery tender in operation, as soon as the battery voltage drops, it starts charging again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts