Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a project in the near future, and a cheap one that appeals very well seems to be painting the brake calipers.

1. Best paint to use to paint? What I can see is it is the VHT hight temp brake caliper paint( of choice). Also do you use clear coat? Or only coats of paint?how many coats of paint? (3-6?)

2. Is it pretty straight forward? Jack it up, remove the tires and then clean with a wire brush.. And brake cleaner, then dry and start taping where you don't want it painted?

3. Your opinion for which color I should go with for the brake calipers on my car... Not just the colors shown (only for example)

Looking for as much information as possible, thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
I painted mine using the G2 paint caliper kit. The steps go just like you listed them. The kit recommends letting the calipers dry for 24 hours before you drive it. I didn't use any sort of clear coat with mine. I know some people recommend clear coating though.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have used VHT in the past with great results. my DD had red calipers and the were still looking great 2 years later when I sold her.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome! Yeah I really want to do this mod, need to get ahold of some floor jacks now lol.

What are your opinions on the color combo?
I'm leaning more towards red, not only because it's my favorite color, but because I think it's a much better color to stand out on the white car.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I used high temp engine paint. I couldn't find anything close to moonlight blue except for engine paint. I sprayed in container than brushed on with foam brushes. I did about 3 coats. I didn't have to tape anything off either. For small/tight I used Qtips, worked awesome.

I heard not to use clear coat because it traps the heat.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have never used clear coat on my brakes and have never had problems. I do use wax and grease remover to prep them after brake cleaner. some tire shine/ rim cleaner stuff can cause fish eyes in paint, so it is better to be safe then sorry

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I leave the calipers on, there is no need to bleed the brakes is there? Just remove tire, tape up and paint?

·
Registered
95 Posts
That is correct, you aren't removing anything so you just have to unmask the stuff you covered and put your wheels back on and your done.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
i just used a can of spray paint i had left over from some side scoops i did years ago..after a year of being on the car nothings bubbled or chipped lol. about 15 minutes after painting i was back on the road too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i just used a can of spray paint i had left over from some side scoops i did years ago..after a year of being on the car nothings bubbled or chipped lol. about 15 minutes after painting i was back on the road too.
I would not recommend using regular spray paint. I would make sure to get a couple of cans of VHT. That stuff is good up to 900 degrees.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts