Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have spare parts laying around for quite some time now. I was going to go and get them painted up a WHILE ago, but really don't want to have to pay for something that I can ATTEMPT to do myself!

I wanted to see what steps I have to take and exactly what parts I would need to do this. I am going to do the 2 door bezels, instrumental cluster, radio bezel and shifter bezel.

After talking to people this is what I got for some steps since I want them to be GLOSSY, not flat black.

Get parts and sand off the paint they have on them stock.
Primer the parts up and let dry
Sand the parts after primer for any marks
Put LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT coat of black
Let Dry, repeat, let dry, repeat (say 10 times?)
Then apply the clear coat
Depending on how shiney I want it, add more.

Does that sound good? Whats a good interior paint to buy? What GRIT sand paper should I buy for taking off the paint and then for sanding after the primer? I am assuming the grit for after priming should be very thin?

Thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
The best paint out right now for interior painting is Krylon Fusion. It will chemically bond into the piece you are painting. It is also the glossiest black I've ever sprayed. If you use that, 2-3 coats will give it all the shine you need, even w/o clear coat.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CaptHowdy5150 said:
Oh, and you don't want to let them dry, let them sit for about 5 minutes, then spray another coat while it's still tacky. And with the Krylon Fusion, there's really no need to sand them either, just spray and it's all good. Hope this all helps you bro.
Cool thanks. I went and got some Duplicolor paint, primer, clear coat and sand paper...so i got all the parts needed to start testing!

ok paint it again while its sticky...ok cool

·
Registered
62 Posts
Autobadges said:
Cool thanks. I went and got some Duplicolor paint, primer, clear coat and sand paper...so i got all the parts needed to start testing!

ok paint it again while its sticky...ok cool
Duplicolor-type paint is a terrible choice for interior parts. Not only is it more laborous to apply correctly, but it also won't hold up near as well as chemically-bonding paints. Follow these people's advice and go buy some Krylon Fusion. You don't have to sand, you don't have to prime, you don't have to clearcoat. It rolls all the steps of painting into one and is ten times tougher than any of that touch-up spray crap. It won't matter how many times you clearcoat that junk, it will crack and flake off sooner than you'll want it to. On that note, Krylon Fusion also stays more flexible after it dries, so it is much better on parts that receive a lot of abuse/wear. Go get your money back on that stuff and take advantage of the convenience of modern technology. ;)

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
LuvMyGT said:
Duplicolor-type paint is a terrible choice for interior parts. Not only is it more laborous to apply correctly, but it also won't hold up near as well as chemically-bonding paints. Follow these people's advice and go buy some Krylon Fusion. You don't have to sand, you don't have to prime, you don't have to clearcoat. It rolls all the steps of painting into one and is ten times tougher than any of that touch-up spray crap. It won't matter how many times you clearcoat that junk, it will crack and flake off sooner than you'll want it to. On that note, Krylon Fusion also stays more flexible after it dries, so it is much better on parts that receive a lot of abuse/wear. Go get your money back on that stuff and take advantage of the convenience of modern technology. ;)
Listen to the man. He speaks the truth. ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hockeyb0y3 said:
i did mine with Dupli and i love it, all that i wana do is wet sand and add more clear coat then it will have a glossy wet look which cost $200 to get a pro to do.

Martin
Duplicolor and similar paints look fantastic for awhile. But, in about a year or so, you won't be singing the same tune. Why you would want to go through all the extra steps for a lower-quality finish when you've got a one-step product that will do the job 10 times better is beyond my comprehension. You wouldn't have to pay anyone 200 dollars because you get that kind of finish right off the bat. :confused:

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
the only issue with painting i can see is the little cup thing in the door panel. It's not a cup, but that thing behind the locks and windows and what not. How do u deal with that?

·
Registered
62 Posts
WhiteStang99 said:
the only issue with painting i can see is the little cup thing in the door panel. It's not a cup, but that thing behind the locks and windows and what not. How do u deal with that?
Start inside the cup at the bottom and spray your way outward. It's not too difficult.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i got duplicolor and will use that, see how it comes out. Don't plan to go back just to swap...1 yr hold up is more than i need, they are spare parts i have that i will paint anyhow....now to find the time...hmmm VERY HARD!! I been so busy with Autobadges.com and orders I hardly post!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Autobadges said:
well i got duplicolor and will use that, see how it comes out. Don't plan to go back just to swap...1 yr hold up is more than i need, they are spare parts i have that i will paint anyhow....now to find the time...hmmm VERY HARD!! I been so busy with Autobadges.com and orders I hardly post!!
Well, run Autobadges with one hand and paint with the other. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts