Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
id use some like 400 or finer grit sandpaper and use that to take the clearcoat off the bezels, its gone when it isnt shiney anymore, then prime and paint it like anything else.

just did my entire car with rattle cans...I thought I was fond of them before...now we are best friends, and sanded the whole car by hand so i can most likely bend steel if I tried :lol:

·
Banned
11,189 Posts
you dont have to prime it

Wet sand it with 400-600 grit sandpaper till the clear is off then tape it up really good around the lens

Then you put 2-3 coats of base and 2-3 coats of clear on it and make sure to let it dry good

·
I liek gramer
8,245 Posts
I would personally check out the junkyards in the area first... Especially cuz there are probably some bezels already black out there, or even if they aren't they will be cheaper than new.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
id still prime though just cuz paint sticks better to primer then it does to paint, even if it is roughed up with no clearcoat

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Bane- said:
id still prime though just cuz paint sticks better to primer then it does to paint, even if it is roughed up with no clearcoat
if the paint is cracked then yes you will have to prep and primer, but if not just take off the clear coat and paint on the basecoat. paint sticks to paint very well.

·
Banned
11,189 Posts
Matt'sredbeauty said:
What kind of paint do I use, and where do I get it, like autozone, Paint for plastic or what?, Thanks alot for all of your help.
Auto paint store, you can get a pint of black of your choice and a pint of clearcoat and thats all you need.

You do not need to primer it, if you sand it well primer isnt necessary

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Matt'sredbeauty said:
paint gun and compressor?, nope don't have those, how much are they, or how much would all this cost in the end just to paint my taillights?
if you dont have that rent them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts