Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2013 v6 mustang my mods are bbk LT headers and bbk off road x pipe is there a way to pass the emission test???

·
Registered
21 Posts
99% of aftermarket cats won't set the readiness monitor either. People buy high flow cats thinking they will get them through emissions and they won't. Go back to stock 02 settings in the tune and try using 02 spacers for the rear 02 sensors, they will push the 02 sensors out of the exhaust stream. Even this may not work, but it's the easiest and most likely fix besides putting your stock midpipe back on (removing your headers, which is a pain). These newer cars are ridiculous when it comes to passing emissions and achieving OBD2 Readiness. Some tuners may have figured this out (or hex edited the file for additional capabilities), but I have never been able to confirm how. This is not a tune with stock 02 settings, but one that has been manipulated to make the car achieve 02 readiness. Ask your tuner if they have a tune to pass emissions, not likely, but worth a shot. All of these suggestions are of course for off road use, because we all know that no one would dare disable or remove emissions equipment, because it's illegal.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Just a shot in the dark, did you save your stock exhaust products or did you throw them away.

You just have learned lesson #1. Ask before you **** can anything. For those who live in smog states, they have to put back on their old exhaust, go pass smog testing and put back on the aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
99% of aftermarket cats won't set the readiness monitor either. People buy high flow cats thinking they will get them through emissions and they won't. Go back to stock 02 settings in the tune and try using 02 spacers for the rear 02 sensors, they will push the 02 sensors out of the exhaust stream. Even this may not work, but it's the easiest and most likely fix besides putting your stock midpipe back on (removing your headers, which is a pain). These newer cars are ridiculous when it comes to passing emissions and achieving OBD2 Readiness. Some tuners may have figured this out (or hex edited the file for additional capabilities), but I have never been able to confirm how. This is not a tune with stock 02 settings, but one that has been manipulated to make the car achieve 02 readiness. Ask your tuner if they have a tune to pass emissions, not likely, but worth a shot. All of these suggestions are of course for off road use, because we all know that no one would dare disable or remove emissions equipment, because it's illegal.
Very informative post.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Just a For your own info, even with High Flows the Cats are not OEM or OEM replacement in the OEM location, even moving them are illegal.
Now you know why it says "Not Legal For Use On Emission Controlled Vehicles" or "For Off Road Use Only" on the Box.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Since you currently do not have cats, do you have a check engine light on now? If not, how was it turned off, disabling the rear O2's via tune or MIL's between the rear O2 sensors and the computer?

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Back in 76 I took the CAT of my TransAm and replaced them with an OE 74 SD dual exhaust. I took it to DEQ and it passed...the only issue was that when they put their mirror under the car it didn't have CAT's...therefore they wouldn't pass it...I was pretty ticked off so I went and got some flexible pipe, routed it from the headers to a single CAT...just like OE...then back to the muffler and took it back. It passed. I knew some guys who cut the CAT's in half, dumped everything out and tacked them over the exhaust pipes...it worked.
Back in the day things were different and today all they read are the OBD although since you have headers will they scrutinize your car more than normal.
Remember that if you fail the test that goes on record and any subsequent test will show that you failed...and why.

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500, SGM, " 1 of 1 "
894 Posts
[QUOTE=AKDMB;2414441]99% of aftermarket cats won't set the readiness monitor either. People buy high flow cats thinking they will get them through emissions and they won't. Go back to stock 02 settings in the tune and try using 02 spacers for the rear 02 sensors, they will push the 02 sensors out of the exhaust stream. Even this may not work, but it's the easiest and most likely fix besides putting your stock midpipe back on (removing your headers, which is a pain). These newer cars are ridiculous when it comes to passing emissions and achieving OBD2 Readiness. Some tuners may have figured this out (or hex edited the file for additional capabilities), but I have never been able to confirm how. This is not a tune with stock 02 settings, but one that has been manipulated to make the car achieve 02 readiness. Ask your tuner if they have a tune to pass emissions, not likely, but worth a shot. All of these suggestions are of course for off road use, because we all know that no one would dare disable or remove emissions equipment, because it's illegal.[/QUOTE]

Run LT's and " green " catted X pipes with stock mufflers on both cars. ( Kooks )
My 2011 has passed N.J. state inspection twice, 2014 & 2016.
.................( my 14 isn't due yet )
In N.J. they plug into OBDII port to verify everything is enabled, there is no tail pipe sniffer used anymore.
......the 11

......the 14

·
Registered
21 Posts
Run LT's and " green " catted X pipes with stock mufflers on both cars. ( Kooks )
My 2011 has passed N.J. state inspection twice, 2014 & 2016.
.................( my 14 isn't due yet )
In N.J. they plug into OBDII port to verify everything is enabled, there is no tail pipe sniffer used anymore.

That's why I said 99%, maybe I should have said 95% in hindsight. Kooks is the best of the best and are the only ones who guarantee that their cats will pass. Even then, there are cars with those cats that do not show ready, even kooks has admitted this. I applaud them for being the only company trying to do this.

They unfortunately do not make a system for the 3.7 V6 Mustangs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts