Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I get out of school today, I'm finally going to have a chance to change out the door pins and bushings. What is the best way to go about this?

·
Pete Jones
781 Posts
91notchback said:
When I get out of school today, I'm finally going to have a chance to change out the door pins and bushings. What is the best way to go about this?
Factory pins? Also, are you sure it's the pins and bushings and not the hinges being worn out themselves?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. I'm not sure. My doors are sagging pretty bad. And they have slack. I can grab the bottom of the door and it has play up and down. I have a pin and bushing set that I picked up a while back, they're fairly cheap. But I dont want to put them in if it won't fix the problem. How can I tell if it's the actual hinges?

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
91notchback said:
No. I'm not sure. My doors are sagging pretty bad. And they have slack. I can grab the bottom of the door and it has play up and down. I have a pin and bushing set that I picked up a while back, they're fairly cheap. But I dont want to put them in if it won't fix the problem. How can I tell if it's the actual hinges?
If the hinges don't look bent up they're fine. You should be fine replacing the pins and bushings, it only took me about 15min to do mine.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. So what was your method?lol I've read a lot of stuff on google where people were saying they were pure hell and it took them 8hrs or more. I already like your way better...;)

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
91notchback said:
Cool. So what was your method?lol I've read a lot of stuff on google where people were saying they were pure hell and it took them 8hrs or more. I already like your way better...;)
I used blocks of wood to support the door. Found something small to use as a hammer to knock the stubborn bushings out and the new ones in and slid the door back over. It helps if the support is about as high as you need it so you don't have to fight the weight of the door too much.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about the pins? Most of the articles I read, people were using a dremel to cut them in half and going from there. Does this sound like a good idea? Also, did you keep the door attached by one hinge an pin while you worked on the other one? Sorry about the twenty questions game man. Just want to make sure I'm pretty much squared away when I start working on them.

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
91notchback said:
What about the pins? Most of the articles I read, people were using a dremel to cut them in half and going from there. Does this sound like a good idea? Also, did you keep the door attached by one hinge an pin while you worked on the other one? Sorry about the twenty questions game man. Just want to make sure I'm pretty much squared away when I start working on them.
No I didn't cut mine, I reused them since they weren't worn. They came out fairly easy wiggling the door and tapping them. I went ahead and took both of them out and did it altogether, it may be easier to leave one in while you do the other, I've never done it like that.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright. Thanks for all the info! I might post questions on this thread if I run into any trouble later today. I appreciate all the help man!

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
91notchback said:
Alright. Thanks for all the info! I might post questions on this thread if I run into any trouble later today. I appreciate all the help man!
No problem, happy to help. Let us know how it's going or if you need anything else. :good:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think I'm having the same issue he did. i tried slam shutting my door today as thats only way to close it against the car to prevent any gaps, and now i couldnt shut it, I am afraid of causing more damage by forcing it, so for now only way to shut it securely is by lifting the whole door and softly ( while watching my fingers) and guiding it into place.
So I have the pins and hinges to replace, i know its the pins I checked the passenger door ( Which is 100%) and the hinges were the same shape neither bent. so i gotta go out and pull my pins out the other car. I have no idea how to do this, Can someone like post a visual of the door pins and or just explain it soo simply cause needless to say when this pissed me off, its a God given miracle i dindt wreck the glass.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I think it would be better too replace both pins at once, not one at a time in. That way you don't risk messing a hinge up. Take out the bottom one first. I'm going to have to do this now that I have a floor jack.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Re:

I okay I'll try that. I've been warned though about lining them up again. Thats shouldn't e hard right? If its not lined up the pin can't go back in right?

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
I okay I'll try that. I've been warned though about lining them up again. Thats shouldn't e hard right? If its not lined up the pin can't go back in right?
As I stated it helps to have something to support the door while you're pulling it off and trying to realign the hinges. Since
You'll need to replace the bushings as well both pins have to come out together to get the doors hinges out of the way.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've always heard that a floor jack is best, and when I did it on a old van I could the flood jack to be best. A motorcycle jack would be perfect though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts