Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 96 Mustang a year back, and i was told it has a 98 V8 in it. I want to verify that because originally it had a V6 in it. I want to know 100% that it is what it is. not a 2000 4.6 or something like that. How can i do that?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
^+1...

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dude before me did some stuff to it as well. Dorman intake manifold, 75 mm bbk tb, and K&N CAI...

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

I have the engine stripped down pretty much because im in the process of taking it out...

·
Registered
470 Posts
I got my 96 Mustang a year back, and i was told it has a 98 V8 in it. I want to verify that because originally it had a V6 in it. I want to know 100% that it is what it is. not a 2000 4.6 or something like that. How can i do that?
Could also count the spark plugs/cords :p

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You don't understand! I Know its a V8. Lol obviously. But i need help on the year it was made! Like a vin for the engine or id number or something ya know??

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The '96 though '98 GT modular 2V engines had the wasted spark EDIS ignition system, using two coil packs and plug wires:

The '99 through '04 use the coil-on-plug (COP) ignition:

It will be "in-your-face" obvious the moment you open the hood...

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh alright. well it is in the 96-98 range then. i do have 2 coil packs and plugs. Thanks cliffyk. Any way to know what year it is? or am i just out of luck on that aspect?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
That would be the only way to nail down the year of manufacture, however it really doesn't matter for buying parts stock or aftermarket as from '96 through '98 they were all the same...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
8th digit of the vin if its a x its a gt from factory, and 10th digit dictates what year it is.

Reactions: Mustang_Madness
1 - 20 of 35 Posts