Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am new to these forums. More of a researcher/reader than a poster.

Here is my story. I own a 98 GT I purchased for an everyday driver. Atm its sitting at 280k miles on odometer. Now... its a constant 10 miles over on speed. So it should be less miles. About 5 months ago it overheated on me driving down the interstate. When I pulled over it sounded like it was knocking something awful. At that point I had it towed home and it sat.

About 2 months ago I did an oil change and messed with radiator and added fluid. It started right up and sounded great. I saw my cap had a built in thermostat that was locked open. So I replaced the cap and it never overheated again.

Now to my questions. Is there anything I need to be worried about that may have happened due to overheating. It no longer knocked after that day. It tuns and sounds great for a 300k mile engine. Should I replace anything else just in case before I start driving it again?

Now I plan on putting in a low mile pi engine within the next few months. But need another vehicle to drive. Will this last a few months?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Just check your basic stuff for 300K miledge. Filter(s), Oils (eng/tran/rear end), Plugs/Wires, Brakes/Fluid, Radiator, Battery, Tune-up. After that you should be good for a while.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok cool. You don't think the overheating before could have caused unseen harm? Although it is running nice now

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
No, I think you are fine now.:headbang:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok Thx. Will post some pics of her when she running. She just a basic gt atm. Only mods are magnaflow magnapacks. Will drop a 99-04 pi engine in next year with headers and off road x pipe. Then prolly some wheels

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update. For new key. Got it running. Flushed radiator. Only gets hot while driving. Gonna drop in 180 degree thermostat.

·
Registered
565 Posts
You don't have any gray/whitish froth in your oil, do you?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Do not put a 180 thermostat in the car that will not make it run cooler all that will do is open the thermostat sooner the car will still run at its operating temp as it did before it just takes longer to get up to the correct temp. If the car runs at to low of an operating temp your oil will sludge and you will have premature wear on your crank cylinders bearings and so on and so forth

1 - 11 of 11 Posts