Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But I'll ask anyway... I have 18" OEM polished aluminum bullets... I've had them up for sale for a month or so at $400 but it's looking like nobody wants em... so I'd like to try the following:

how do you think one would go about giving them the brushed aluminum look?

I know most wheels that come that way are done on a cnc machine however I Still want to try an achieve this...

What tools and or products are needed in order to achieve this desired look?

Or is it even worth the risk of ruining them?

For those of you who do not know what wheel I'm referring to here is a photo to reference

ForumRunner_20120917_134226.png

here is the look I was thinking of... but a little darker... BTW I'm only doing the five star not the lip

ForumRunner_20120917_134421.png

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have seen it done with silver/grey paint and a red scotch brite pad...but never on chrome...I imagine you would have to have them blasted OR it them with some plasti coat, the a few shots of silver and grey, once it dries hit it with the pad....practice on something first...maybe get an old air cleaner from the local u-pull it...just thinking out loud here.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These wheels are not chrome... they are aluminum that have been polished and shot w a clear coat... I want to stay away from paint because I want a more raw look, I will however shoot some clear coat on em to help preserve the finish

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
my friend did his on his subi with a dremel tool and different buffer ends and a lot of rubbing compound

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think if I can get a how to w a reference picture I might try to tackle this... it will up the value an allow wheels to be sold for a higher profit

·
Registered
450 Posts
I know if you bead / media blast aluminum, then clean with something like mineral spirits, then clear coat. You should get the raw finish your looking for. If you want more of a brushed looked then raw look then once your done blasting, you hit them with a wire brush attachment on angle grinder / dremel then clean, then clear. That is how we used to get that look.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Silversky545 said:
Man... sounds challenging... I need a how to... or better yet someone buy these off me!!!
If you have access to the machine its not bad. I have done it a ton of times to things other than wheels. They are really neat wheels.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I'll give you $250.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Aggiesrok said:
I'll give you $250.
I'd take that offer before you mess them up

·
Registered