Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a card from the Orthopaedic clinic of Daytona Beach with a picture of my new hip on it.
On the back of the card it says """The implant may activate metal detector systems."""
This surgeon removed the old Nam souvenirs and put my new hip in at the same time
He is the best,
The recovery is going great so far and I may even make it to the American Muscle show in August. ((( MAYBE )))
Here is the picture of the pin he removed as well as the new hip implant he installed.
Ronnie

Attachments

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Happy everything is going good Ronnie. Hope you don't get a "recall" anytime soon :)

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is one recall I will not do """EVER"""
Unless it breaks, Ha! Ha! Ha!
Ronnie

·
Registered
884 Posts
Now we need to call you a new Hippy. Glad things are going good for ya

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It's been a while and I'm getting a little better every day. I CAN DRIVE I can do a little walking just using my cain but mostly still use the walker.
Went back to the Doctor on the 13th. of July and asked if I could drive to Pennsylvania to the Mustang show in August.
HE SAID """NO""" He said that just because I could drive to the store and the gun range, Going a couple thousand miles was just not smart.
I'm to not get to stupid and to be really careful because I have about ten holes in my bone from the old Nam hardware that really need to heal up. I'm just to do my exercises and a little walking, No bending, No carrying anything and Less resolutions of my exercises in the morning and do them two or three times a days now.
I go back to see him again August 24th.
At least I can "DRIVE MY MUSTANG" That keeps me and Mario very happy.
Ronnie

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hello

FIDO You are doing great.

Right knee completed 3 years ago and the left knee on the schedule for Oct.

Not VN but US Army for sure. Crewing the Abrams tank takes it toll.

·
Super Moderator
17,946 Posts
Glad to hear you are doing great... Hopefully you are not going too stir crazy and/or are in too much pain. Good thing these days is that even if you are stuck in the house or whatever you still always have ppl to talk to on forums like this, FB etc...

Lol I always say that my generation will be probably the first one that looks forward to going into assisted living. Going to be one big LAN party lol.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not really stuck in the house anymore and can drive my Mustang. The pain is pretty well almost gone except when I get up in the mornings. I have not taken A Pain Pill since Saturday even though it still hurts a little to walk with the cain.
My big problem is I can't bend over, Can't cross legs, Can't carry anything at all and my exercises take 2 1/2 hours in the morning and 1 1/2 hours in the afternoon.
I went to the doctor last week and he told me that even if I feel I can do stuff "DON"T" because I have a bunch of holes going through my leg bone from the hardware he took out that left pretty big holes that need three or four months to heal up and the bone will be very weak until the holes heal up.
I'm really bummed because I'm missing the AM show this year. The only other time I missed it was due to Cancer Treatments.
There is always next year and I'm sure Mario and I will be there.
I was just at a assisted living place and it was great except the food was horrible. I had to have my friends bring me things to eat. I was there for Physical Therapy and medication Etc.
Your right about this Forum, I do have Forum friends drop by when they are in Florida and it is really nice to meet face to face.
Ronnie

·
Lorraine's driver
8,188 Posts
That's pretty damn cool! I didn't know they had something like this. I need a left hip, but I'm hoping to delay surgery for a few more years. I'll be 50 next year and the doc says if I did the surgery now, I might need to have another when I'm old. My wife argues with me saying "why put off something that will make your life better", but I'd hate to have another replacement when I'm old. Plus, I may just need a right hip replacement later down the road as it's bad too lol. Congrats on the new hip! Glad your rehab is moving forward successfully. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Do it now if it really hurts you enough that it stops you from doing things you like or need to do.
When in the Hospital after the surgery I had to attend a class on Physical therapy and there were some people that had a hip replacement in the morning and were walking good enough to go home the next day.
The important thing is to do what the Physical therapy people tell you to do, nothing more until told to step it up.
If it is just a hip they go through the front of your leg with only a small incision and do the replacement from the front, (Anterior) I had to have (Posterior) which they went through the back of my leg and a huge cut from my knee to the top of my butt to get the old hardware removed. Actually two cuts but one is only about four inches.
My doctor did the removal of the old hardware and drilled out the old screws from when the first pin broke in 1968 all in one operation.
With all of that - I'm doing just fine, way better then before the operation.
Last year at the American Muscle Show, I could not walk without a great deal of pain and sat under the canape with Mario and some Forum friends.
The new technology on hip and knee replacements is really 100% better then it was five years ago when they could do nothing for me at all.
I do believe they actually last a lot longer now then they did in the old days.
Just be sure to do some research on what Doctor you choose because they are not all caught up on the new way of doing Orthopedic operations.
I wish I could have done mine 25 years ago.
Ronnie

·
Super Moderator
17,946 Posts
Yep I'm having to worry about my knees now. I'm told I have mild arthritis starting in both knees, I had the one scoped, its a lot better but... Every time I go running for a consistent 2-3 weeks my knees kill... I know I can push through it and get sleeves and use painkillers but I also do not want replacments when I'm 50 like a guy at work with one already done at 40 when he retired and the other one not doing great.

Also probably didn't help being an active duty aircraft mechanic on 12 hour shifts/70 hour weeks for all of my late teens/early 20s during the afghan/iraq war kickoffs lol.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Running is really hard on the knees,
Most people run on a hard surface and that just hammers the heck out of your joints. It is hard on your ankles all the way up to the hips and could cause back problems.
You can get better exercise skipping rope on a mat or best yet is bicycle riding.
The only benefit of running is it forces you to breath harder but if your running along a busy street or highway, NO GOOD because your sucking in auto exhaust fumes.
If you have to run, find a park with a dirt path away from traffic.
Ronnie

PS: I got a pair of Dan Post boots and had a 1/2 in sole & heel built up on my left side. The right leg is 1/2 inch longer then the left due to the pin being put in wrong back in 68. I walked a lot today and my back did not hurt at all. I did use my walker for balance.
I have to force myself to take it easy so I don't screw the Femur up. The Doctor said it will take a few months for the holes to fill in from the screws he had to drill out.
Taking it easy is really hard for me, I like to be doing things.
Ronnie

·
Super Moderator
17,946 Posts
Yeah its hard man but at your age if you don't follow doctor's orders its going to be way worse than someone in their 20s or 30s. Think of these 2 months as a time investment in a healthier you for the future which I'm sure you are doing anyway.

But yeah running... I do like swimming a lot and being military means I always have a free outdoor and indoor pool membership. Same with the gym. Swimming is probably the best thing I can do right now, cardio, upper body, core and legs all at once with 0 impact.

That's something else maybe to look into is water exercises if you have that available to you.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, I'm cleared to go to my LA Fitness ( Silver Sneakers) and I will probably go back again starting Monday. Stationary bike is OK if I get the seat high enough to not let my knee get past my waist and just rotate with No pressure.
Swimming Pool A big "YES"
Hot tub - another big "YES"
I keep my Humana mainly for Silver Sneakers and small stuff that the VA does not do. I had my Toe Nails cut by a foot doctor this morning because I can't bend over to do it. I was just gonna go to the finger nail place where Sheri goes but my nails were all long and digging into my skin, The foot doctor sprays stuff of them to stop the pain while she chopped them off.
( Not the Toe's - Just the Toe nails) Ha! Ha!
Ronnie

·
Lorraine's driver
8,188 Posts
I've been seriously thinking about doing it sooner these past few days. Trying to increase motion when it's pretty much already gone is torture lol. I'm anticipating that I will have to build up the muscles in my hip area etc. after the surgery, so I'm trying to work on that now. Because of that, I'm hardly sleeping even with all my meds lol. I'm gonna setup another appointment with the ortho doc in August so I'll get more info and decide from that. I'm glad your surgery was successful because you hear all those damn commercials with lawyers wanting you to hop on the class action lawsuits of various joint replacements. It makes you think that they rarely are successful.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is what I did before the surgery, ( Exercise and lose 40 pounds.) It worked out great for me.
I have not taken a pain pill since Saturday July 15th. 9:30am.
I walked around my block yesterday which is 1/2 mile and it was the first time in close to a year I could do it. I still have to depend on a walker but it is better then no walking at all.
It does hurt because I'm using muscles I have not used before that only walking will build them up. I take care of the pain when done with ice because I'm thinking it is mostly swelling causing it.
I already got a letter from some crook lawyer about a class action law suit against Depuy and I called the office and cussed them out about six times.
I hate lawyers as much as I hate child molesters.
If I do get a recall notice from Depuy, I'll just probably get it replaced because it won't be so difficult the next time.
I really think that the people having the problems are the people that do not do their exercises and ask for problems.
I went through the great pain stage of exercising and although it still hurts to walk 1/2 mile that also will go away after I get these unused muscles working again.
My only complaint is Me and Mario are missing the AM show this year.
You guys please keep in touch about when your getting things fixed. It may help others to decide to get back to living and doing things.

They are using my surgery to teach other surgeons the process of removing hardware and replacing a hip in the same surgery. I signed the forms giving permission to use my medical records.
The old procedure was to remove the hardware and wait until all heals up in about three months or so and then replace the hip.
I got mine done all at once by the best Orthopedic Surgeon in Florida or probably anyplace.
Thanks for Veterans Choice.
Ronnie

·
Super Moderator
17,946 Posts
That's pretty cool that your stuff is helping other doctors learn how to do this, probably is going to cut down a lot of recovery time for a lot of ppl.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Yea, It don't pay nothing but it will sure help a lot of soldiers with the Nam souvenirs in their legs.
If you look close on the card at the beginning of this post you will see I still have a screw in my leg that came out years ago. The Doctor said it is better to leave it there because he did not want to do more cutting if not necessary. It will probably never give me any problems but if it does, then it will have to be removed. I also have one at the base of the implant that he left in to rest the implant on that is not a problem and keeps the bone from having a chance to split. I'll be fine after the holes in the femur all close in.
For a few more months, I just gotta take it easy and remember not to carry anything or bend over or pick anything up, cross my legs and don't do anything stupid.
I got the lift in my boot and walked one mile today - 1/2 mile at a time around the block.
Even the muscles in my good leg hurt because I have not really walked far in about 6 months or more.
I did 1/2 mile yesterday.
Ronnie

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

1 - 20 of 22 Posts