Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:evil: maybe someone here can help! i just went to a local shop and had the guy hook up his snap-on scanner to my comp. for $50. i'v had my check engine light on for a few months now and didn't worry to much about it after testing my sensors and the only diff. was a delayed throttle response...anyway i didn't want to see the light anymore. so the guy hooks up the scanner and tries to connect but he can't. he checks to see if it's properly connected and nothing. the scanner reads "error". he can't retrieve any codes! however he is able to turn off the engine light but it came back on. so then he told me that he was almost 100% sure that i need a new computer! has anyone had this problem? any help is greatly appreciated...thanks alot guys!

ps. i have never touched or tampered with the ecu. one day i shut my car off for refueling and when i turned it on the eng. light came on and immediately i noticed a change in my throttle response. i checked the fuel cap and it was tightly closed. regardless the comp. should have stored codes right! my comp. is obd-ii on my '94. can something like this just happen to the ecu?

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
my guess is something came lose like a wire or something, yesterday i put a new one in my bros camaro and i cant see how that would break... but other than like a wire that came loose i have no idea, maybe someone else here can help and as far as cel he probably just cleared the codes, then the computer read the problem again thus the light came back

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
weird

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
A cheaper alternative might be to get one from a local junk yard....

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
:stupid: the camaro one was 50 bucks...stangs? i have no idea, but theres no need for a new one, so like rick said check out the good ole jy

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:evil: yeah, but those ecu's are old too and probly have moisture or something from sitting so long...i don't know...anyway i've been to 2 huge junkyards and no luck!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I work at Autozone part time so you can take my advise or leave it.

I had to replace the computer in mine and it was covered under warrenty. Always it would have cost me about $300 :eek: I don't know how many miles or how old your car is, but ford has an eight year/80,000 warrenty on their computers and cats.

One way to see if its the computer itself is to go to Autozone and ask them to get your computer read. They offer it as a free service. If they can't retrieve any codes then the computer is shot. Bad news is autozone can not get computers for the mustang cause of the different makes for them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts