Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have '66 Mustang V8, high performance 289. I have Long Heddman headers, and a C4 transmission. I have tried the original starter, a new OEM starter, and a gear reduction high torque starter and none of them have worked. When I turn the car to start, the starter just "clicks". I know it's not the neutral safety switch, since it not only happened when the car was on Park, but also on Neutral. I checked the battery and it was charged. The alternator and ignition switch have all passed inspection. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did You try dirict wiring to the starter? (Jumping it). Have you tryed to Jump Start the car?
You could have a bad selonid, and you are not getting enough voltage to the starter, (Jump the selonid) You could have the starter jambed aganist the fly wheel causing it to bind (on some models you have to shim the starter away from the flywheel).

·
Registered
30 Posts
You have a bad starter solenoid. An easy fix for your motor. Located on the fender well right behind the battery if it's still in the stock location. The hotwire from the battery hooks directly to it. Been awhile since I bought one but the last one I bought was for a '66 Fairlane with a 302 and it was about $10.00. Same part.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts