Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Due to another year of Cadillac car payments, interest on our credit line, the increasing costs of my medication (court ordered antipsychotics), the increasing price of vodka I may need to sell my old Mustang.

What do you think...

1996 Mustang GT ragtop 4.7L SOHC 5 speed manual that runs great
67,000m or so miles (I have to look again to be sure)
Black leather interior, new AM/FM/USB/CD radio (Which I have yet to figure out. I removed a $400 do everything, bluetooth, USB, AM/FM/video disk/Sirius that I already have in my Cadillac and replaced it with an $80 Kenwood. I gave the old system to a waitress as a tip.
The top is in good shape, works fine.
Paint is a little oxidized, could use a rubout.
It has a trunk full of new headlight units including the special tool to aim them
The trunk also contains all new foam weather seals that I would have installed if I had got a round tuit.
Tires are good. Suspension too. My mechanic inspected the car and found no rust or salt damage which should be true for a car originally sold in California and we don't use salt in Boise.

The down side?
There is a 10" flat screen installed in the back of the passenger headrest.
The rear speaker covers were removed by someone but I have a new set in the trunk.
The previous owner smoked cigars and there is a burn in the driver's seat and despite two years of trying I haven't got the last of the smell removed. I usually drive it with the top down! The driver's seat leather is cracked and worn.

I checked the web and think I can honestly ask $5,000 and be firm about it.

I attached a couple of pictures that I posted here before. I bought it because I missed my '85 GT and also missed rowing through the gears my own darn self. The Caddy has a 6 speed auto but the paddle shifters just are not as much fun as a clutch.

I figure you folks are the experts on this and I don't want to use Craig's List or sell it to CarGuru type vendors.

So any thoughts or observations would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
A couple of random thoughts...

5 grand will buy a fair amount of drugs and alcohol. :brent:
That is a nice looking culdesac that you live on. :thumb:
It was ballin', back in the late 90"s, if you had flat screens installed in the headrests of vehicles with a rear seat that is too small for a normal-sized adult to sit in. :shrug:

I'm not sure what the market is like for convertible Mustangs in your area, but your car sounds like a reasonably nice, unmolested, low mileage example. A survivor!
I don't think that your asking price is out of line.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot two things...

I never did get the cruise control to work. Check the fuse?
The old CD player is still installed but it's not hooked up. The Kenwood has a CD player which I don't use (That's what an iPod is for).

I figure the back seat was used by kids, There was a transmitter for wireless headphones on the back of the center console, since removed. I wanted to get a rear seat delete but the wife claims her brothers would fit in the back. I doubt that. I had an AMX two seater and never needed a back seat then when I was young and feisty. It was hard to fondle with a girl when all you have are bucket seats. Janis had a '67 440 R/T with a back seat if we ever needed one, but adults have apartments.

The Caddy has two back seats that have been used twice in five years. It's a great car, 556 HP, 0-60 3.8 seconds, 190 MPH top speed. I've had it up to 150... WOW! I did cruise 100 miles at 100+ MPH. Again WOW! I don't get to brag about the all aluminum 6.2L supercharged V8 very often (oops, I just did!).

The Cadillac, in sport mode, is a whole lot of fun to drive on Idaho's mountain twistys, I have a speeding ticket to prove it. It doesn't hold a candle to top down, radio blaring, stick shifting drive with my best girl by my side lunch runs through the mountains in an open air Mustang GT.

Janis just asked me not to sell the 'stang. She says put it up for winter (thank you Covercraft!) and we'll find the money somehow. Between the cat's vet bills and the fall clean up of the yard ($520!!) and my meds we did have a large slug of bills so maybe she's right. If we lay low this winter we might have enough to go back to romping in the Mustang after the snow quits falling.

Yes, yes Im know I'm rambling but it's 4am and I have nothing better to do.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Never hurts to start high. IMO, thats a lot to ask, regardless of mileage, but, you never know. I sold my 03 GT convertible with just over 100k for $5000 for perspective...I was lucky. The guy didn't haggle at all. I honestly would have been happy with $3500.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts