Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So always start up my car when it's cold (im talking cold!) and leave it running for a few minutes because that's what my dad always told me was good for the engine, my girlfriend says its not necessary because she read articles on consumers report which is a valid source and I've read them too. But on here I recall seeing some posts about warming up the engine being good, so what do you guys do? Or think?

·
Registered
535 Posts
First off I don't trust anything that consumer reports post, they're a bunch of import loving know nothing's. All I ever read in their articles is them bashing US cars. Back to your question I would allow warm up time because overnight the oil has settled back down in the sump and your internals aren't properly lubricated. Also the oil is is very thick when cold and has a high viscosity. I don't sit and wait for it to warm up very long, but i keep the rpms low when its cold out.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I always warm my engine up. It just makes sense to me to let the oil circulate threw the engine before you put it under strain. As far as it being a myth, not sure, but that's what my father taught me as well

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Well from what I know and heard its a good idea to let the car warm up its better for the engine gets the oil pumping through out the whole engine and in my car if the car is warmed up the heat will work better and then It will be warmer inside my car lol so yea if you got the time then you might as well do It

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have always used synthetic oil in my cars.I live in Ontario,Canada and we have cold winters half the year.The sythetic oil is not affected by temperature change as much.I make sure I always idle an engine after start up and try not to rev it.I usually allow it at least 60 seconds to warm up.This has worked for me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I come from a family of mechanics, always been told to let eng. warm up, main reason is the valve train is the last part of engine to recieve oil. Less wear on valve train if idles untill oil gets there. Cold oil flows slower and the oils viscosity is at it's optimum when warm. I have also heard no reason to let eng. warm up I'll keep warming mine, been driving since early 70"s and too old to change now lol. I used to be an aircraft mechanic and NO ONE starts an aircraft and just takes off. An engine is an engine no matter what it is in.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
I wouldn't warm it to operating temp but I at least let the idle drop before taking off.

·
Registered
720 Posts
You don't really need to let it run more than a minute, should be enough time for all the fluids to get moving properly. After that you're just wasting gas until the engine warms up.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
warming it up a bit or taking it really easy on it until its warm is a good way to go

·
Registered
341 Posts
i always let mine warm up my dad taught me the same

·
Registered
861 Posts
If you have Forged pistons you all better let your cars warm up. hypers not so much. I always let my car warm at least until I can see my exhaust, usually I try to get the coolant to 100-120. That's just me because I trust my gut and what I know

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Well ["warm up, main reason is the valve train is the last part of engine to receive oil. Less wear on valve train if idles until oil gets there."]

Yep, on DOHC cars like ours, we need the oil all up on those cams and buckets. That is why when anything is just barely out of spec you get tap dancing Leprechauns in your engine, or worse a river dance; until about 90 seconds or so and the oil flows better. I only had a Tap dance once for about 7-10 seconds, but never had it again and I don't plan to stress those components.

We started to hear this "don't let the car warm up" when the gas crisis first came in the 70's and the Jimmy Carter told us to put sweaters on and turn the heat down to 65 degrees in the winter.

I looked at the car care myths and most are fair and balanced and some are not.
Car Care Myths And The Real Story - Car Care - All Cars - Motor Trend Magazine

The real concern is the EPA folks don't want people putting more un-burned fuel in the atmosphere for pollution and stuff.

As to their clear coat myth busting, NOPE a treatment like TST Teflon is better than waxing your car. Once you have Teflon coating you never put wax on. Only cleaner and more Teflon. I had a 9 year old truck with TST and 135k miles look brand new and sell in 4 hours on Craig's list.

My 2008 truck still looks brand new, no wax, only cleaner. And my Mustang has TST as well, no wax.

In that article, they are "Iffy" on the lead needed for pre-72 engine valves and say you "can get by", Green Bias again.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I always let mine warm up, due to conventional wisdom, and because I can physically feel a difference in the engine!!

It is not near as responsive cold as it is when it's warmed up, it has to do much more work to a heave the same amount of acceleration. Everything is just more "in tune" after it's warmed up.

Everything is "stiff" when it's cold....

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I always let mine warm up, due to conventional wisdom, and because I can physically feel a difference in the engine!!

It is not near as responsive cold as it is when it's warmed up, it has to do much more work to a heave the same amount of acceleration. Everything is just more "in tune" after it's warmed up.

Everything is "stiff" when it's cold....

Does that make sense?
Yep, just like human bodies. I am very arthritis when I wake up cold in-the morning and once I warm up, my joints are so much more flexible! Machines are like us, you let them sit, they get really atrophy.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
just don't floor it or anything like that until it gets to normal operating temp.
normally on a cold start, my car will rev at like 1200, i wait untill it drops to normal (700) before leaving

1 - 20 of 85 Posts