Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger side headgasket started leaking like a siev. I started buring oil and the SES light came on, the whole works. Anyway, so I've got to replace them. I figured as long as I had torn it down that far I might as well put it back together better than it stared so I decided to get some nice ported heads. Since I was so close Mikael at RPM talked me into a cam (really didn't have to twist my arm). Acctually I'm incredibly impressed with him. As I was ordering my heads, he told me that what I was getting was overkill for what I have, and that I'd get better gains with cheaper heads and a cam. His suggestions saved me several hundred dollars. I applaud him for being so honest.

Anyway, I've got the engine torn all the way down to the block now, and I have a 4X8 sheet of plywood as a bench totally full of piled engine parts... I tell you it's down right creapy. My poor car looks like a gutted corpse.

Hopefully it'll only be a week or so more until I can get all my new parts. With any luck I'll be able to have him back together before the first autocross of the season on the 18th.

·
Registered
941 Posts
good luck horse, if it's not your daily driver, there tends to be this thing called laziness that starts to set in after a while... don't succumb!

just curious, but was your motor stock when the head gasket went? that's not good to hear!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is my daily driver. I can't wait to have my mustang back. The Saturn I'm borrowing from my parents sucks.

Anyway the gasket that let go on me was the one that came with the engine. I've never had the heads off before. The only changes to the engine are a CAI, underdrive pulley, and ported upper and lower intakes. Oh and a breather filter to fix the shitty PCV valve problem. Just capped off where the tube hooked up to the upper intake.

I'll see if I can borrow a digital camera from my friend to get a picture of the carnage.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Actually, it is dumb for us (V6 shops) to sell over-ported
heads and huge cams, because the engine will not run right
and make less overall power, get bad mileage, bad emissions, etc...

A properly sized cam and properly ported heads will kill an "overkill"
engine any day, in a street car setup. That is why I do the cam form
and work out a whole combo...

Mik tries to follow my example :D

I've seen bad overkill on 99^ V6's, they just will not run right if over-cammed and over-ported.

·
Registered
567 Posts
RGR said:
Actually, it is dumb for us (V6 shops) to sell over-ported
heads and huge cams, because the engine will not run right
and make less overall power, get bad mileage, bad emissions, etc...

A properly sized cam and properly ported heads will kill an "overkill"
engine any day, in a street car setup. That is why I do the cam form
and work out a whole combo, Mik does so too.
In the past I wondered if something in my combo was overkill..

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Probably not, except the cam needs less exh. duration.
unless you plan on an SC later, I would do it different now
but I've seen many combos with porting and cam just flop...

·
Registered
567 Posts
RGR said:
Probably not, except the cam needs less exh. duration.
unless you plan on an SC later, I would do it different now
but I've seen many combos with porting and cam just flop...
boost is a dream right now...who knows if I'll ever do it.

Like I said somewhere else..I may want you to re-spec a perfect cam for this engine this summer.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The parts are here!

My parts came!... new ported heads, gaskets, head bolts and a cam!

SWEET!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Horse said:
My parts came!... new ported heads, gaskets, head bolts and a cam!

SWEET!
Thats awesome man!

Now all you need to do is take some friggen pics!!!:p

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PICS!

Thanks to my friend Warlock, pics are up here: http://www.warlockweb.org/gallery/gallery/headinstall
Sample:

~This post is brought to you by Horse's secretary, since he's so covered with corrosive fluids from putting this mess back together that he can't type.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My car is over half put together. I have gotten the head gaskets, heads, headers, lifters, lifter retainers, pushrods, rocker arms, radiator, power steering pump, alternator, A/C, cam, timing chain, timing cover, cam position sensor, water pump, oil pump, the reserve tank bracket, and the trim plastic over the radiator all installed. I'm going to be dedicating my Wednesday night to putting in the lower intakes, fuel rail, injectors, upper intake, all the radiator hoses, EGR piping, valve covers, coil pack, spark plugs, oil filter, all the emmissions tubing and vacuum lines, random electronic sensors and various other crap. Working on cars is fun, but since it's mine I JUST WANT IT TO BE DONE!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts