Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I **** you not, I beat a viper GTS. And a Vette... and a WRX, all at the same autocross track.

It was cold so none of the people running slicks were getting very good traction. The guy in the viper just couldn't drive the thing, plain and simple. A real waste if you ask me. Anyway I beat him by about 6 seconds I think. It was a LOT, I know that. The Vette I beat by 2 or 3. I was 4th place in the Street tire class and won STX class. Man that was an awesome way to end the autocross season. I'm totally stoked for next season. :D

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
i have a buddy that was there in a green 240SX... said he talked to you a bit. I woulda come out there but i had to drive back to kansas yesterday :( He told me he did pretty well though...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rental Mustang racing

This is my first post.
Let me introduce myself, I own a SVO Mustang and I am in the process of finding myself a used 1999 and up V6 Mustang for a daily driver and a weekend autocrosser. I have been racing autocross for 4 years now and this year raced a 97 SS Camaro in the class ESP. I'm a Ford guy but could not turn down the opportunity to race a nationally competitive car. I finished 3rd overall in the SCCA ProSolo and 5th in the Nationals.

The reason I want a V6 Mustang is that it seems to be a great car for everyday use and me in a rental car finished 4th overall in my local club last weekend. What a blast!!

Any thoughts?
Rich

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Re: Rental Mustang racing

ConeSVO said:
This is my first post.
Let me introduce myself, I own a SVO Mustang and I am in the process of finding myself a used 1999 and up V6 Mustang for a daily driver and a weekend autocrosser. I have been racing autocross for 4 years now and this year raced a 97 SS Camaro in the class ESP. I'm a Ford guy but could not turn down the opportunity to race a nationally competitive car. I finished 3rd overall in the SCCA ProSolo and 5th in the Nationals.

The reason I want a V6 Mustang is that it seems to be a great car for everyday use and me in a rental car finished 4th overall in my local club last weekend. What a blast!!

Any thoughts?
Rich

Welcome to V6stangs Glad to have you here!!! It is nice to have SVO owners here. When they came out I took one for a test drive. That is a fun car. Do you have alot of suspension improvements on the SVO to be Autocrossing it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks!
I did just about everything you can do to still be in ESP. It has all poly bushings, springs, new Konis, tower brace, K-member bar. The only thing left to do is a panhard bar. The problem is that it has been race for so long that the body is really flexible. If I could put frame connectors on it that would help but it is not legal in ESP. A roll cage is legal but that would be pretty expensive.

After going to the Solo 2 nationals I reallize that a SVO will never be competitive in ESP :oops: and I want to race in a Stock class to not have to spend so much to win. GS seems to be a good class for the V6 Mustang. We will see next year!

Rich

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pretty sure only 98 and below are GS, 99 and up are CS and in with the SVT Focus. That's why i'm running STX in mine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Who would think after all the "Mustang's handle like tanks" type comments that you would be doing autocross so well. Show them they're wrong! Props to you Horse! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Lists/2003/stockc.html#GS Follow this link for the class listings. It lists all V6 and 4 Cyl turbo Mustangs. Also includes SVO, I think that that would be THE car in GS but it would be hard to find one that was in "NEW" condition. GS also includes V6 Camaros. There was a guy from I think Oklahoma running one nationally a few years back and did well. Camaros are heavier than a Mustang but have better camber loss than Mustangs.

Mustangs do handle like tanks. If you mean that the understeer like pigs. If you do a front alighnment with toe out and as much negative camber as possible this helps. If you look a the other cars in GS you will notice that most are front wheel drive, talk about power understeer!!!!

STX has a .795 PAX index, GS has a .781. If you do the math on a 60 second run you would have to go 1.75 seconds faster in a STX car to get the same points as a GS car. That's huge in autocross. Of course this means no mods in GS.

Rich

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
there is SUCH A huge after market for the mustagns and since teh v8 suspension parts work on the v6 adn teh v6 has better weight/handling set up its a good choice for daily driving and for autox, not to hard to make them handle good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey, im also new here(not v6s, I leark at 3.8 ), and just went to my first autox event last sunday.

A STOCK v6 stang would be infact GS, I know this becasue I spent forever tryign to figure out what class I would be in. But stock, is so limited.

That means no
-CAI
-only cat-back exhuast(no prob there)
-no adding of a rear sway bar(not 100% casue it is a option on a v8 )
-no bigger rim(unless mabye its a a gt sized rim, again not 100%)
-very limited on tires with stock rim

STX seems to be the way to go for a lite mod v6, but then your up against wrx, impreza, and integras.

Not to bash against the v6, becasue i have one and love it. im not sure its the ideal autox car. stock v6 suspension is well..... I hjave lowered mine and rear sway bar. That helped a lot, but puts me into the STX class.

Horse ur runnin STX not becasue you would be in CS, but becasue your mods take you out of GS.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm, I was told that the 99 and up were CS. weird. Acctually my mods take me to ESP, the STX is another option and it way better than runnign against comp T/As Firehawks. and 03 cobras. STX is just fine for me.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I **** you not, I beat a viper GTS. And a Vette... and a WRX, all at the same autocross track.

It was cold so none of the people running slicks were getting very good traction. The guy in the viper just couldn't drive the thing, plain and simple. A real waste if you ask me. Anyway I beat him by about 6 seconds I think. It was a LOT, I know that. The Vette I beat by 2 or 3. I was 4th place in the Street tire class and won STX class. Man that was an awesome way to end the autocross season. I'm totally stoked for next season.
:headbang:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts