Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I get out of my car I smell like gas and exhaust fumes. Tired of smelling like it. Plus my car is still taking 1 to 2 key turns to start. Just turns over but won't fire right away. Never had this problem before. Put fuel stabilizer in twice that I filled it up now. I'm stumped.

·
Registered
493 Posts
What year is it? Does it have the charcoal filter hooked up? (askin what year it is because not sure of years they did this) Do you have cats?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 1986 mustang GT and it doesn't have cats. It's Mac shorty headers, straight off road H pipe and Mac exhaust with straight pipes out the back.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Mine smells the same. Got to lookin and the charcoal filter wasn't hooked to the lines. (I didn't even know what it was!lol) It was hacked up so I just removed it. I hear this is a big eliminator of that "fume smell". You're obviously gonna have some of it regardless without running cats.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hahaha! Beat me to it...;)

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

Mine had actual liquid fuel in the canister. No bueno...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I left the shop but I'll check it tomorrow while at work. Where does these hoses go, what does it do? I've always notice it but never thought about it? Will this fix the full smell or just a little bit of the smell? Lol this is got me asking all kinds of questions haha.

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

Okay just saw your answer. Thanks guys. This will help a lot!!! The smell was giving me headache and smelled every where I went.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Mine was in disrepair and got left in the dust...lol! I searched it on google. It pulls vapor out of the fuel tank. Just researched it long enough to figure out I didn't need it really. Like I say, without cats, you're gonna have some of that smell.

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
Sybesma07 said:
I left the shop but I'll check it tomorrow while at work. Where does these hoses go, what does it do? I've always notice it but never thought about it? Will this fix the full smell or just a little bit of the smell? Lol this is got me asking all kinds of questions haha.

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

Okay just saw your answer. Thanks guys. This will help a lot!!! The smell was giving me headache and smelled every where I went.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well everything seems to be okay. Just looked at it real fast and the hoses right there look good. What are my options with this charcoal canister? It is smelling up the inside and me. Is there a line that runs back to the gas tank?

image-2607691956.jpg

image-376380495.jpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts