Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the test drive, I fell in love with everything about my 5.0
I bought it and learned to respect it and understand its idiosyncrasies
Now that we have traveled 40,000 miles, I can't stand one more minute with those stinkin' Pirelli P Zero Nero's
They are extremely loud and lost much of their handling ability

I'm looking at replacing them with some Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position tires. Since I drive 12 months out of the year, I need all season tires.
Has anyone had experience with these tires? Are there any other suggestions? By the way, I have the 19" option rims.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Now that we have traveled 40,000 miles, I can't stand one more minute with those stinkin' Pirelli P Zero Nero's

I'm looking at replacing them with some Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position tires. Since I drive 12 months out of the year, I need all season tires.
Has anyone had experience with these tires? Are there any other suggestions? By the way, I have the 19" option rims.
I recently put all season tires on mine (used to have pilot super sports on the rears)...

I had the same debate... RE970AS vs Pilot Sport AS plus.

The reviews were very close.

I ended up with the pilot sports as plus.

Not as much grip as my summer tires (obviously), but very good cold weather tire. Quiet. Very responsive steering. I'm not disappointed. And they were slightly lighter tires than the Bridgestones.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I've heard some bad things about the conti all seasons.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I was never a mitchlen fan. I needed tires and discount tire recommended the Mitch super sports. I'm very impressed with them. You have to really try to bust the rear loose on wet roads. Idk about snow for sure because I refuse to drive it on salty roads. But, I've driven in snow 35yrs and I can tell by looking, there's probably not a better tire for it. They are pricey, but worth every penny.

·
Registered
389 Posts

I had them. Used them for winter just to work and back. Wouldn't recommend it for winter. They were alright for all season. I use them
For Summer and I just bought a set of toyo Garrick's for winter tires and those are working beautifully. If I had it my way I would go back to the Pzero Nero all season mud and snow tires but those are discontinued.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I was never a mitchlen fan. I needed tires and discount tire recommended the Mitch super sports. I'm very impressed with them. You have to really try to bust the rear loose on wet roads. Idk about snow for sure because I refuse to drive it on salty roads. But, I've driven in snow 35yrs and I can tell by looking, there's probably not a better tire for it. They are pricey, but worth every penny.
Super sports are unbelievable above 65 degrees... Below that, they get progressively like a hockey puck on ice... Hence the discussion about the pilot sport AS (all season) plus.

But yes, if he was asking about summer tires, no doubt, pilot super sports are worth every bloody penny!!!

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
nhcowboy said:
Super sports are unbelievable above 65 degrees... Below that, they get progressively like a hockey puck on ice... Hence the discussion about the pilot sport AS (all season) plus.

But yes, if he was asking about summer tires, no doubt, pilot super sports are worth every bloody penny!!!
I have to disagree, sorry.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I have to disagree, sorry.
Not to get into an argument, but you are recommending a high performance summer tire with tread good for track days (and good in the rain too) to be used in snow? On a rear wheel drive car???

That isn't particularly good advice.

Yes it can be done but Good luck with any evasive Maneuvers. .

If you aren't disagreeing with that, then what are you disagreeing with me on?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I said Idk for sure about the snow. As for the cold, it was 20* the last time I drove the car. With very spirited driving, I never noticed a difference.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I said Idk for sure about the snow. As for the cold, it was 20* the last time I drove the car. With very spirited driving, I never noticed a difference.
All I can tell you is in Houston, as temps got lower, the PSS had 0 traction. 40 degrees is when I decided to get all seasons to swap out for colder weather (almost lost her sliding the rear out on me).

Now my suspension is stock... Maybe that impacted it too... But I think you are the only one brave enough to drive drive PSS at 20 degrees.... More power to you, but that compound and tread design is not safe at low temps and in snow.

Just trying to provide safe advice here. And keep in mind the OP was asking about the All season brides tones, I was simply talking about my shopping and comparison on a comparable tire (pilot sport AS plus).

·
Registered
16 Posts

Wait, you got 40k miles with your stock P Zero Neros? I barely got 12k on my rears in my 2011 GT/CS. I replaced mine with P Zero Nero all seasons 275/40/19 and I love the extra grip. I could tell the difference and the tire bulge is just enough to save those rims from curb rash.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wait, you got 40k miles with your stock P Zero Neros? I barely got 12k on my rears in my 2011 GT/CS. I replaced mine with P Zero Nero all seasons 275/40/19 and I love the extra grip. I could tell the difference and the tire bulge is just enough to save those rims from curb rash.
Burnouts are fun!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input everyone.

I will definitely need all season tires so the super sports are not an option. 12 month per year driving in the snow belt would not be fun on summer only tires. I'll take another look at the pilot sports and try and decide on those or the Potenzas.

As far as the 40,000 miles, I still have about a quarter of the useable tread left but these Pirelli's started getting noisy at about 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone.

I will definitely need all season tires so the super sports are not an option. 12 month per year driving in the snow belt would not be fun on summer only tires. I'll take another look at the pilot sports and try and decide on those or the Potenzas.

As far as the 40,000 miles, I still have about a quarter of the useable tread left but these Pirelli's started getting noisy at about 20,000 miles.
The potenzas would be your best bet, I used them all year round but now they had about 20000 km on them and are not that great in winter then again I live in Canada and winter is like 4- 6 months

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The potenzas would be your best bet, I used them all year round but now they had about 20000 km on them and are not that great in winter then again I live in Canada and winter is like 4- 6 months
Yeah, I don't think anything is going to be great in the snow but I'm OK with that. That's part of the trade off when buying one of these cars. I'm just looking for the best options. I'm in Northern Ohio and drive all over Michigan so I know what you mean about winter.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Yeah, I don't think anything is going to be great in the snow but I'm OK with that. That's part of the trade off when buying one of these cars. I'm just looking for the best options. I'm in Northern Ohio and drive all over Michigan so I know what you mean about winter.

Thanks
Check out tire rack...'they have some direct comparisons review articles beyond user ratings.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Put 250lbs of sandbags in your trunk...

Really...

I drove a truck for 4 years before the mustang, and even the 6500lb tundra would loose grip in the snow and ice and it was heavy! I used to just shovel snow in the back of it, or fill the bed with 500lbs of sandbags.

I have the stock 18" pzero neros and they do just fine with weight in the trunk. Stock suspension.

Haven't put weight in the back this year as by the time the snow came and I was on the roads the roads were clear of snow and ice. but 20 degree weather and I haven't lost traction anymore than normal yet!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Really...

I drove a truck for 4 years before the mustang, and even the 6500lb tundra would loose grip in the snow and ice and it was heavy! I used to just shovel snow in the back of it, or fill the bed with 500lbs of sandbags.

I have the stock 18" pzero neros and they do just fine with weight in the trunk. Stock suspension.

Haven't put weight in the back this year as by the time the snow came and I was on the roads the roads were clear of snow and ice. but 20 degree weather and I haven't lost traction anymore than normal yet!
That's exactly what I've already done. 200 lbs of sandbags makes it driveable. My biggest complaint is the noise from the Pirelli tires. It's really unbearable.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
That's exactly what I've already done. 200 lbs of sandbags makes it driveable. My biggest complaint is the noise from the Pirelli tires. It's really unbearable.
I guess having o/r X with the borla stingers and the radio on I never hear the tires. I almost have 15000 miles on those tires too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess having o/r X with the borla stingers and the radio on I never hear the tires. I almost have 15000 miles on those tires too.
Mine were quiet up until about 20,000 or 25,000 miles and it has got progressively louder ever since.

·
Registered
389 Posts

Really...

Don't need sandbags just need winter tires. I've bought a set of toyo Garrick's and they hold pretty well. I plow through snow like a truck and have no problem on ice really. Feels like I'm driving a awd with the way it hooks up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts