Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
own a 99 v6 stang , true dual exhaust w/cats, no h- or x- pipe w/flowmasters. Not sounding to my expectations. I want a new exhaust package but havin trouble picking 1. i guess i need headers also. thnk for any replys !

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
ugh. flowmaster 40s on a v6.

i went with flowmaster hushpowers to give it a low growl that dies off around 4000rpms instead of keep ricing up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have 3" true-duals from the Cats to turnouts in front of the rear wheels. It's loud, without being excessively so. If you go this route and decide later that it's too loud, you can always add mufflers to the straight pipe section later.

·
Premium Member
25,803 Posts
leave it be, the sound only gets worse if you start removing cats and going with more free flowing mufflers. Unless you like the way fart cans sound on hondas i would leave it be.

·
Registered
187 Posts
try an o/r h or x pipe with a nice magnaflow exhaust. Don't get the magna pack without cats because it will sound like a couple of fart cans. with the regular exhaust it will sound pretty good.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Getting a loopy cam would help the sound of the exhaust. I know some people on here had a loopy cam on their 6, sound good IMO. If I had sounds of them i could find them I would post them but couldnt find them. some of them include 04stang, stagin99,slvr200stang, and this summer I wil lbe also

·
Registered
187 Posts
i also have a loopy cam with some BV heads. the sound difference is amazing. I have that set up that i posted and thats why i suggested it. I used to have cats but no mufflers but got rid of that because it was really ricey. Now i have no cats but mufflers. There isn't really any dronning on the highway either. I acually made 7rwhp more without cats and i did without mufflers,as i expected. People actually think i have a V8 and they are amazed when i tell them its only a 6. they never believe me until i pop the hood.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
99'sleeper said:
own a 99 v6 stang , true dual exhaust w/cats, no h- or x- pipe w/flowmasters. Not sounding to my expectations. I want a new exhaust package but havin trouble picking 1. i guess i need headers also. thnk for any replys !

I bet you are under 25 right?

Go for a good mellow sounds, most loud 6's just sound ricey and
the excessive noise comes from a system that is just too big in
most cases. If you are making decent streetable HP it does not
have to be loud to breathe well.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Stay true to your name 99'SLEEPER

Another thing that helps sound and deepness, and volume outside the car
somewhat, is getting big tailpipes after properly sized mufflers. That is what
I'd suggest if you crave the deep rumbly sound. 3" tails, or 3" tips right after
the axle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a single Flowmaster on my V6 with the stock tubing and it has a lil rumble to it, Do you think a single bigger pipe like 3" would sound better than a daul 2 1/2" exhaust?:confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts