Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a 5 speed pretty damn bad, but I dont want to get rid of my car, im in love with it, so im wonderin how much it would be for a conversion from auto to a 5 speed, its a 98 Stang, V6.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
much more trouble than it's worth...seriously

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
not worth it. If you actually do mod ur car, you can mod the tranny, and it can shift waay better than you can when done properly.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
get a wrecked GT manual.... and swap it into your car, and then you'd have a manual.... you can get a wrecked GT for less than $3000

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm, I would trade it, but I already put on Flowmasters, and I have my Guages installed which took me a good 2 hours to get in and get it all nice and wired, I dont want to just GIVE it away, unless it could be for a Mustang GT. But I dont think ill get anything higher then 6 grand for it if even that.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yea thats what I thought, well I like this car to much to just give away, everyone should have a special bond with their car if they like cars. So I would rather just throw in a shifter kit, tranny cooler, and 4.10 gears instead of getting a stock manual. Thanks for the help you guys.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! :D

·
Registered
349 Posts
A manual swap is doable, but it's not what you'd call economical.

I've done them in the past on vehicles that never came with a stick, even as an option, and were less sophisticated. It's all in having your ducks in a row. Knowing what needs to be done and having everything on hand.

So, while it'd be cheaper and maybe faster to buy another ride it isn't impossible especially for a vehicle that means something special to you.

Steve

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I guess you see where im comin from when I talk about my bond with my car, haha. You said youve done it before?

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
it is just expensive but its doable, contact midwestmustang.net and ask how much their swap kit would cost you

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
Ibanezplayer272 said:
Well I guess you see where im comin from when I talk about my bond with my car, haha. You said youve done it before?

Ponycarman said:
A manual swap is doable, but it's not what you'd call economical.

I've done them in the past on vehicles that never came with a stick, even as an option, and were less sophisticated. It's all in having your ducks in a row. Knowing what needs to be done and having everything on hand.

So, while it'd be cheaper and maybe faster to buy another ride it isn't impossible especially for a vehicle that means something special to you.

Steve

:uhh:

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
I tell you people time and time again (B R E N T) and you wont listen... autos sucksorz I had one... it blew selling the car and getting a manual was the best idea I have had :)

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Why sound we believe you. I shifted all the sports cars I have owned and I am enjoying my Interceptor Auto tranny which will bark going into 2nd and 3rd and giving up about 20+ HP on Rob and him having a 5 speed he only got about 3/4 car length on me at Track day. I still got him by half a car length on the first run

So much for slow ass Auto's

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Danger Dude said:
Why sound we believe you. I shifted all the sports cars I have owned and I am enjoying my Interceptor Auto tranny which will bark going into 2nd and 3rd and giving up about 20+ HP on Rob and him having a 5 speed he only got about 3/4 car length on me at Track day. I still got him by half a car length on the first run

So much for slow ass Auto's
but rob beat you. so....
anyways its okay for u corey cause your old

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
232stang said:
but rob beat you. so....
anyways its okay for u corey cause your old
Old has nothing to do with it. I can outdrive most. I can outshift most. I can out steer most. most will never drive cars with the horsepower the cars I have driven had. My car is set up for mountain driving. I like the Performance Auto tranny because I am able to shift like a manual if I want to but on the dyno the way the auto tranny is set up and with the programming in a 1/4 mile run i cannot beat the auto shifting. Coming into a downward hairpin on a mountain road I enjoy the downshifting though!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts