Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it. I cleaned my air filter and throttle body this past weekend. And when I drove my car I noticed a difference in idle the car would pause at 1400 then drop down. So I had the code pulled P1506 and disconnected the battery let the KAM reset and the result from that was a much better throttle response but, the idle is even more erratic now. I can disconnect the batter again and clean the value this time and see if that helps. I will try that when I have time. With that begin said my question is would a SCT Tuner help this problem? Explain please. And where is a good place to buy one with good costume tunes?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Your not the only one.. My car idiles bad but drives fine, I think a tune would help. AM has the best SCT deals with free tunes for life IMO.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Did you accidently spray or damage the maf sensor? I have a friend who sprayed his with carb cleaner... had to replace it. As long as your filter isn't clogged with ****ty oil I bet that's the problem. The tune may help but it doesn't fix the problem. Id bet maf sensor or you missed a connector somewhere, vaccume line tight??

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner only, and my IAC with TB cleaner, My problem is everyonce and a while in gear at a stop light it will go from 600rpm (normal) to 300rpm then up to 1300 rpm, it does it for a little bit then it goes back to normal.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you accidently spray or damage the maf sensor? I have a friend who sprayed his with carb cleaner... had to replace it. As long as your filter isn't clogged with ****ty oil I bet that's the problem. The tune may help but it doesn't fix the problem. Id bet maf sensor or you missed a connector somewhere, vaccume line tight??
No, I handled the MAF correctly didn't touch it and made sure it was clean. I've replaced many MAF sensors working at the Ford dealership cuz of tiny pieces of bugs get caught in the sensor. And if my MAF was failing I would get a system too rich or lean code and I would assume the car would run ****ty. All vacuum lines and connectors are on correctly as well. Thanks for the advice gave me something else to think about. I guess I should of added in my original post that I can unplug the IAC value and the car runs normal no erratic idle.

·
Registered
437 Posts
How do you get "codes"? My car is running bad at idle and it is not throwing check lights so can I still find whats wrong, and my car does smell weird alll the time like a rich smell.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner only, and my IAC with TB cleaner, My problem is everyonce and a while in gear at a stop light it will go from 600rpm (normal) to 300rpm then up to 1300 rpm, it does it for a little bit then it goes back to normal.
600 rpm's sounds a little low for idle. I like my vehicles to idle around 800-1000 rpm's. My car idles at 1000 rmp's at the moment. There should be a adjustment screw somewhere I just can't remember where. I have a aftermarket throttle body and the dealer I worked at was mostly a truck dealer. But I would pick your idle up some and see what happens.

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

How do you get "codes"? My car is running bad at idle and it is not throwing check lights so can I still find whats wrong, and my car does smell weird alll the time like a rich smell.
Sometimes the PCM will throw a soft fault witch wont turn on your check engine light. Take it to autozone and have then scan it for free.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hmm did not even know I could do that, lol I have only been in the car world for 2 years lol. I will investigate when i get home (on school computer now lol) Thanks for the Advice!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MustangGT02 said:
ok it idles at about 650 rpm warm, and in gear at a stop its about 550 rpm. Should I try to raise it?
Yes have your idle set at 800rpm's

Anyone else have any other info about my question are a confirm about the sct tuner solving any iac problems?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Cajunick said:
Yes have your idle set at 800rpm's

Anyone else have any other info about my question are a confirm about the sct tuner solving any iac problems?
I had the same problem and my tuner put in a SCT chip with a Dyno tune and it solved my problem.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
DaBluedude said:
My 96 gt would idle at about 600 too. Never had an issue. I wouldnt worry avout your idle unless its rough.
I'm pretty sure 600-700Rpm is where it should be. 1k Rpm is a little much IMO but have seen ppl run theirs @ 1k. Generally when you have adjust something/anything past the base setting to fix another problem you are actually masking the real problem. Meaning what ever you cure by raising idle past what it's supposed to be, really has another root cause

·
Registered
441 Posts
Base idle on most vehicles is set around 750 rpm. You are low so bump it up a little bit. Runnin it that low causes too much work for the iac aka duty cycle. You might want to replace it if bumping idle up doesnt fix the issue. Sounds like its hanging up on you. Normally cars will die completely if you unplug the iac

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
deadsp0t said:
I'm pretty sure 600-700Rpm is where it should be. 1k Rpm is a little much IMO but have seen ppl run theirs @ 1k. Generally when you have adjust something/anything past the base setting to fix another problem you are actually masking the real problem. Meaning what ever you cure by raising idle past what it's supposed to be, really has another root cause
Yeah. My mach 1 will idle at 982rpm untill it hits full operating temperature. Then it drops down to around 670. Hell its happy at 60kph in 5th at 1040rpm so that's my cruising speed (most of the streets are 60kph zones) and if I need to speed up I can get to 70 in about 2 seconds and 80 in another second or so. If I were to drive like that full time id get 25mpg city easy... makes me wish I had a .48 sixth gear ratio for the highway.

·
Registered
307 Posts
If your IAC motor is bad it will 'not' flash a code. I had the same problem a week after my warranty was up. One of the symptoms is erratic idle--sometimes the idle drops so low that you think the car is going to stall. Anyway, while the car is running and idling erratically, pop the hood and tap the IAC motor. If the idle stabilizes the IAC needs to be replaced. If you have more than 60k on your car, just replace it--money well spent. The part costs less than $100 at your local Ford dealer.

Good Luck

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had the same problem. Clean the iac, start the car take the vacuum line off plug both ends and adjust the idle till it is about to shut off but don't let it. In plug it re hook them up and that's how you set the base idle. I gad the exact same problem

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
01StangGt said:
I had the same problem. Clean the iac, start the car take the vacuum line off plug both ends and adjust the idle till it is about to shut off but don't let it. In plug it re hook them up and that's how you set the base idle. I gad the exact same problem
Sorry I forgot to post that I fixed it a few days ago but that is exactly what I did lol. Plus I reset the KAM. And now my cat converters are rattling lol guess it just gives me a reason now to cut them out and just put a straight pipe in :)

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Cajunick said:
Sorry I forgot to post that I fixed it a few days ago but that is exactly what I did lol. Plus I reset the KAM. And now my cat converters are rattling lol guess it just gives me a reason now to cut them out and just put a straight pipe in :)
You be better to buy a mid pipe. Larger diameter, you stand to gain more then just cutting them out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
deadsp0t said:
You be better to buy a mid pipe. Larger diameter, you stand to gain more then just cutting them out.
I agree I have a full exhaust BBK high flow shorties to a x pipe SLP loud mouths a mid pipe would be best but my money is limited atm :( so just installing a piece of 2.5 inch pipe right now will do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts