Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of y'all had problems out of these? I took mine off and cleaned it with carb cleaner and it's still idling rough and surging at cold start. And bucking too. Thanks, KC

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Well carb cleaner can eat away the varnish in iac's....no clue if that's your issue...i just use maf spray. Worse case scenario the spring and bellow inside it is messed up and youll need to replace it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dang I wouldn't have used it if I knew that. Some guys off here said they used it on theirs and it fixed the problem. I think it is the problem though it stopped when I first cleaned it but now that it's been a week or so it's acting up again. Weird I know. I got a new maf sensor and everything is fresh including the fuel filter. The only thing I haven't changed is the IAC

·
Registered
861 Posts
Dang I wouldn't have used it if I knew that. Some guys off here said they used it on theirs and it fixed the problem. I think it is the problem though it stopped when I first cleaned it but now that it's been a week or so it's acting up again. Weird I know. I got a new maf sensor and everything is fresh including the fuel filter. The only thing I haven't changed is the IAC
Generally speaking I use brake cleaner, IDK what the difference is between that and carb cleaner, there as so many solvents nowadays and no good description of what sets them apart. Even within one manufacturer.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Have any of y'all had problems out of these? I took mine off and cleaned it with carb cleaner and it's still idling rough and surging at cold start. And bucking too. Thanks, KC
Sometimes cleaning iac just ain't enough. Just have to break down and buy one. I kept cleaning mine to no avail n had to end up buying one. Problem fixed. Then i would start over with base idle reset and setting the tps. Good luck.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks guys. Did y'all have the bucking issue as well or just the surging idle?
Just surging idle on mine but it could cause the bucking as well. When things start messing with air/fuel ratio it can cause lots of aggravation and problems. Once u put the new one on then just erase the computer and do the base idle reset and set tps. Good luck.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It requires a few steps but nothing hard. Look in the stickies section under 5.0 idle adjustment. It has the step by step procedure.
Thanks. Also, what's a good company that makes IAC valves? I've cleaned it enough with no difference in performance just need to buy new.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be my spark plug wires , when I installed them I (not realizing) had 2 of my wires laying onto headers which started to burn through the 2 wires and that was cause my car to surge and stall once the car reach operating temp and would now turn on and stay running until temp cooled down enough !!

·
Registered
861 Posts
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be my spark plug wires , when I installed them I (not realizing) had 2 of my wires laying onto headers which started to burn through the 2 wires and that was cause my car to surge and stall once the car reach operating temp and would now turn on and stay running until temp cooled down enough !!
The heat and grounded contact makes the charge go through the valve covers ^_^ if you go in the dark (complete or as close as you can get to pitch black) run your car with the hood open, give your eyes a second to adjust and if you have current jumping to other wires or to your engine/Acc's you'll see a blue glow where it occurs, it looks like little lightning but far less dramatic. I like to think of it as my cars neurons firing :lol:

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

This may have been established, but what's your timing at and what fuel are you using?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just changed the IAC on my 94. It now has a miss when I'm driving and idles funny heck it ran better with the old one on it. Suggestions? I already disconnected the negative cable for a little over 45 min then started it back up and still the same problem

1 - 20 of 27 Posts