Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· R.I.P. - 10/06/2021
1,277 Posts
Not a good picture but, my 2011 has the factory $525 option HID headlights.

· Registered
372 Posts
Factory HID lights have a projector lens. It will be approximately 3" in diameter inside the headlight housing. The lights you are looking at have a projector lens but still use a standard halogen bulb.

The reason they are not compatible is a HID headlight utilizes a transformer to step the voltage up so the wiring will be different. Also, the factory HID lights will have a shutter inside that moves back and forth to give you low and high beam. Again this adds additional wiring to the lighting circuits.

If you are good at wiring you could rewire your factory wiring to work with the after market lights but you still may wind up with a lighting warning indicator on the dash since the body controller will be looking for certain voltages to determine if you have a light out.

IMHO, if you have factory HIDs leave them alone and enjoy the much improved lighting you get with them.

Dave

· R.I.P. - 10/06/2021
1,277 Posts
Regular headlights have the front turn signals near the center grille and HID headlights have the front turn signals on the opposite side of the head light nearer to the fender, like in my picture.

Reactions: crjackson

· Registered
2013 Ford Mustang V6 Pony Package
787 Posts
The 2013-2014 have HID, every model before is Halogen. Look in the user manual for bulb replacement info. I have a 2013 and replaced my bulbs with HID as indicated in the manual. When in doubt, always refer to the user manual. You can google it as well.

· Administrator
1,654 Posts
Thank you, But I figured it out. My model and my moms 2012 did had HID before. So it wouldn’t be just 2013-2014 but thank you anyway.
I believe it was optional back then, but became standard in 2013-2014.

Anyway, I’m glad you got it worked out. I very positive your thread will be helpful to others facing similar questions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts