Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what will changing my gears out to 3.73 actually do? I found some 3.73 gears for under $200..... and I have no idea what they do. what will they do for my car, my car's speed/acceleration, and what will it do to my gas mileage? Also, how hard are they to install?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Too much money! they should cost $150 new!

They make acceleration faster, but reduce your top speed!

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what will it do? the 3.73 gearing, what will it do?

·
Registered
166 Posts
jimmy_beaner said:
what will it do? the 3.73 gearing, what will it do?
They make acceleration faster, but reduce your top speed!

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ummmm, how much will my gas mileage go down? Say I were cruising along at 70 MPH.... I usually pull down 28 at that speed.... I know because I do it frequently for 4 hours at a time, lol... but yeah, how much?

·
Registered
166 Posts
you will lose a couple mpg and you will revv a few hundred higher RPMs at cruising speed...

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
OK here is the deal 3.73 gears will make your car quicker off the line. It will make the car feel faster also with the car accelerating faster. You will lose around 1 mpg as long as you dont have a lead foot. If you do have a lead foot and keep the car above 3000 rpm you milage will get bad. As for losing top speed it is not that much to worry about. How much driving do you do above 120 ??????. The fact is this is probably the best bang for the buck mod you can do, as long as you find a good shop that wont overcharge you. It will cost anywhere from 150 to 400 to have them installed. I know that is a wide varible but I have heard of people paying way to much for installation.

I travel the interstate a lot and As long as you keep it around the speed limit + 10 you wont lose much like I said 1 mpg. Above 85 or stay in the 3000 rpm area and your gas mileage goes down

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so at 75-80 mph..... how much would you lose? lol. I frequently drive at that speed when I go to Omaha (4 hour drive).... and yeah, it takes 3/4 of a tank now.... maybe not quite the much, but it's close. Would my computer need to be adjusted to accomidate the near gears?

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
It would not be much more I drive to Panama City 2 times a year. the first summer with my car and stock gears I got 21 MPG or 340 miles and that was with a really close to empty tank. The next summer I went with the 3.73 gears and I got 20mpg and about 320 miles. Now I get about 300 miles or 19 MPG since I got my RPM heads and Cam

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sweet, do you have a site you got your's off? Someone on here said $150, but I can't find them for under $185, also, how hard is that to do out of shop? I'm not too excited about paying a shop $150-$400 to put them in. If I get the 3.73, duals and a Shaker, will I have to change any other parts? (I know the duals won't do much for the system, but I WANT them), the Shaker won't be until next summer probably.... have to work for that quite a bit still. I may get a chip in between though, anyone have any chip they love?

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
Ok, Ive got 4.10s in mine and I drive about 80-85 on the interstate. My RPM ranges anywhere from 2700-3k depending how daring I feel and I still get about 22mpg on the highway. 3.73s wont be as draining as my gears for your gas, but your mpg will go down a little bit. Its really not that noticable though. The benefits defanitely outweight the negatives.

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
Danger Dude said:
I got my 3.73 gears from Midwestmustang http://www.midwestmustang.net/ you can contact Terry @ [email protected]
If you want their phone number I have it. PM me and Ill give it to you, Terry doesnt want it out in the public so I dont want to post it here.

that goes for you too corey, if you want it and dont have it ;)

Yes I would I had it a year ago but it has disappeared

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
what is the difference between the gears at v6 mustang stuff and mid west mustangs, 180 at v6 mustang stuff, 90 at mid west (3.73 7.5 rear end 02 v6 mustang)

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
whats the differnce between the gears at v6 mustang stuff 180 bucks and mid west mustang 80 bucks (7.5 rear end 3.73's)

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
its a bad idea to put gears in yoru 7.5 1) the 7.5 is weak its fine for street driving but it will break if you abuse it 2) it cost alot to have the gears put in if you dont get a pro to do it they will whien and drive you INSANE 3) a new 8.8 (bigger stronger WHOLE rear end ) that can be bolted in with 3.73 gears, AND tlok (so both tires spin instead of just one like you have stock) for 800.00

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
ok, so are you saying I need an 8.8 rear end? Do I have the 7.5? It's completely stock, but Pony Package maybe other stuff from factory, I don't know what that even does, lol.

It is really up yo you I have 7.5 and a fairly modded engine I would not worry about the 7.5 unless you are going to go over 300 HP or you are going to put drag slicks on it. There are people in the 350 range and still have there 7.5.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
i can have a buddy install them (he is a pro a.s.e. certified) so no worries there. i dont think the gears will hurt my rear end since im buying the t-lok when i buy the gears

1 - 19 of 19 Posts