Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stang has a rough and fluctuating idle. It also likes to stall out occasionally when at idle. It also has somewhat of a studder at very low rpms. I can also smell that it is running rich any suggestions

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
My stang has a rough and fluctuating idle. It also likes to stall out occasionally when at idle. It also has somewhat of a studder at very low rpms. I can also smell that it is running rich any suggestions
Make sure your MAF is matched to the injector size you are running.
Clean the MAF and IAC.
Check for vacuum leaks.
Clean and check the EGR to make sure it is operating correctly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trojan Horse said:
Make sure your MAF is matched to the injector size you are running.
Clean the MAF and IAC.
Check for vacuum leaks.
Clean and check the EGR to make sure it is operating correctly.
The entire car is stock but what is a egr and a iac

·
Banned
8,779 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trojan Horse said:
EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculator Valve

IAC = Idle Air Control
Oh ok thanks man I I read on a couple of other forums that other ppl were experiencing the same symptoms due to a leaking intake manifold gasket do u think that could be a possibility aswell

·
Registered
648 Posts
Not saying it couldn't be but it's alot of work to pull the intake and check. The maf, erg, and iac are easier to get too and check.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jhagan1980 said:
Not saying it couldn't be but it's alot of work to pull the intake and check. The maf, erg, and iac are easier to get too and check.
Oh ok well ill try those probably today and ill let u know how it goes I appreciate the advice

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry u haven't updated this post in a long time but I cleaned my maf and my iac but the problem is still occurring I've noticed that the stalling at idle once the car is warm has is becoming more frequent and now every once in a while at idle the check engine light will flash and the idle will shoot up to around 2000rpm I have also replaced the oscar gasket

·
Registered
172 Posts
brian94gt said:
Sorry u haven't updated this post in a long time but I cleaned my maf and my iac but the problem is still occurring I've noticed that the stalling at idle once the car is warm has is becoming more frequent and now every once in a while at idle the check engine light will flash and the idle will shoot up to around 2000rpm I have also replaced the oscar gasket
So have u checked your codes yet?

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
What's an "oscar" gasket?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trojan Horse said:
What's an "oscar" gasket?
Sorry my auto type on my phone sucks but I meant to say iac but I tried to hook it up to a scanner at autozone and it kept saying error connecting to ecu

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ok I guess u tried hooking it up to the one under the dash. That is a obd2 connector. Amd it is not hooked up. That connector is for 96 amd up cars. U need to hook up to the one thst is under the hood on the passenger side. U might be able to get autozone to do it but I doubt it. They usually will only do it on the obd2 cars 96 amd up. Your car is obd1 computer system

·
Registered
122 Posts
Take a can of starting fluid and spray it around your intake. That's the best way to check for vacuum leaks. The engine will rev up if starting fluid is sucked into the system. If the problem is getting worse then it would make sense to me that it could be a gasket perhaps your intake. Which is essentially a huge vacuum leak. And +1 on the obd1 and 2 info. Good info.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just to jump in here. 94-95 V6 stangs are OBD2 that's why we have the plug under dash but the gts were still OBD1s. Yes you can check them yourself by jumping the self test pin and the VIP pin plug under your hood. Just count the flashes. Sounds like a vacume leak to me. Our sn95s are bad about that I haven't found a deffinite reason yet. Lol. Maybe O2s since it only does it warmed up. Those are the two main sensors our cars use and the ecu dosnt use them till 170 degrees I belive. Also clean your throttle body good and MAF. ONLY USE BRAKE PARTS CLEANER OR ELECTRICAL CLEANER on your MAF because it dosnt leave reasadue hope this helps

·
Registered
648 Posts
Furious35 said:
Just to jump in here. 94-95 V6 stangs are OBD2 that's why we have the plug under dash but the gts were still OBD1s. Yes you can check them yourself by jumping the self test pin and the VIP pin plug under your hood. Just count the flashes. Sounds like a vacume leak to me. Our sn95s are bad about that I haven't found a deffinite reason yet. Lol. Maybe O2s since it only does it warmed up. Those are the two main sensors our cars use and the ecu dosnt use them till 170 degrees I belive. Also clean your throttle body good and MAF. ONLY USE BRAKE PARTS CLEANER OR ELECTRICAL CLEANER on your MAF because it dosnt leave reasadue hope this helps
Mine is a cobra and I have the port under my dash too, it's just useless. They make a MAF cleaner I would buy before I used brake or electrical cleaner.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts