Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To replace an aging 98 Ranger I used for work, last March I bought an 04 F-150 Lariat, financed for 10 grand, $200/month. Not bad, payment wise. But it's costing me a boat load of money in repairs. Right off the bat after purchase I got hit by the cam phaser BS these 3v tritons are known for, with 175k miles on it at the time. $2,000 repair for phasers, VCT solenoids, chain tensioner guides. Then came a bunch of little stuff that adds up to another $1,500+ And I still have a couple issues, but I'm at the point where I just don't want to put anymore money into it.

I'm strongly now looking at the 2011 F150's similarly loaded like mine, as much money as I'm spending on BS repairs, I somewhat might as well, right?

Particularly interested in the ecoboost. My current triton is a real gas guzzler at 12-13mpg carrying 800lbs of pool chemicals and equipment/parts. Would the EB still be a big step up in that regard? It's 50/50 city and highway miles. Being the first year of these engines did they have any common issues that equate to what I'm dealing with?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Go join and read on the F150 Forum. Very large Forum. I joined to learn and read what others are doing to their F150's. I have an old 1991 F150 4X4 and have learned how to do a lot of repairs myself, just from reading and asking questions on the Forum. Youtube videos help too :)

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I bought a 1995 Chevy Z71 4X4, 5.7L TBI with 198k on the clock for $3000. Had to have the transmission rebuilt, replace a power steering pump and the battery. Maybe $2500 in total cost. That's all I've had to do to it in the past 5 years. Granted, I don't drive it every day, but it has never let me down. Something to be said about an older truck you can actually work on that doesn't have all that fancy stuff on engines nowadays.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
To the OP, not that it matters now but it would've been very wise to do some research on the 04-08 5.4's before buying one. The 04-05's especially were notorious for cam phaser failures, premature injector failure, spark plugs breaking off in the head thanks to a crappy two piece design, Integrated wheel ends (IWE) 4x4 system not fully engaging and grinding the hubs down, IWE module faulting out, electronic fuel sensor faulting out due to it being mounted under the spare tire where water/ice would collect, leaky 3rd brake light, cowl vent, I could go on.

I experienced some of these things with my 07 5.4 with 25k miles, so I speak from experience.

The 2011-2012 Ecoboosts did have some minor issues but they weren't nearly as common as the 3v's problems. The 13+ EB were much better. I had a 2013 for 2 years and it was problem free.

My 14 5.0 only has 23k miles but it has been great. N/A power is ok for my use though the mpg's aren't as good (19 vs 23) but still a great truck.

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
Go join and read on the F150 Forum. Very large Forum. I joined to learn and read what others are doing to their F150's. I have an old 1991 F150 4X4 and have learned how to do a lot of repairs myself, just from reading and asking questions on the Forum. Youtube videos help too :)
Great truck!
I daily drive a very very very high mileage 91 F250. :)

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Stray, to be honest, I would drive an old high mileage truck at the moment. I miss my Ram, but it's not doing any good staring at me broken in the driveway.

My Ram would likely still be on the road if I had jumped on a few issues faster.

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
Stray, to be honest, I would drive an old high mileage truck at the moment. I miss my Ram, but it's not doing any good staring at me broken in the driveway.

My Ram would likely still be on the road if I had jumped on a few issues faster.
Just giving you a hard time.
It hasn't been a complete "bed of roses" owning a 25 year old truck... The damned thing is on it's 6th transmission! And there isnt a whole lot of original parts left on the truck. Even so, it has served me well for the last 2 1/2 decades.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
Got almost 199k on my truck, 2000 Silverado. Bought it with 50k miles. Incredibly reliable, given If I don't let other people drive it. Brother broke the Trans in it. Then recently busted the steering gear. I'll never sell it. To be honest if the engine ever went, I plan on an H/C/I/E LS6. Just to have a fun truck, and to mess with the straight pipe trucks here.
Recently finished my 05 Cherokee with 217k on the clock. Bought it from a customer. Needed a trans, no reverse. Might be for sale soon.
Anyway there's lots of options out there. As Stray said research is a wise decision before buying.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
It was Sonicpony who recommended thoroughly researching a vehicle prior to purchasing it.
I think that it is a good idea for any vehicle... And absolutely MANDATORY on any of the modern electronic-filled vehicles produced in the last 10 years or so.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To the OP, not that it matters now but it would've been very wise to do some research on the 04-08 5.4's before buying one. The 04-05's especially were notorious for cam phaser failures, premature injector failure, spark plugs breaking off in the head thanks to a crappy two piece design, Integrated wheel ends (IWE) 4x4 system not fully engaging and grinding the hubs down, IWE module faulting out, electronic fuel sensor faulting out due to it being mounted under the spare tire where water/ice would collect, leaky 3rd brake light, cowl vent, I could go on.

I experienced some of these things with my 07 5.4 with 25k miles, so I speak from experience.

The 2011-2012 Ecoboosts did have some minor issues but they weren't nearly as common as the 3v's problems. The 13+ EB were much better. I had a 2013 for 2 years and it was problem free.

My 14 5.0 only has 23k miles but it has been great. N/A power is ok for my use though the mpg's aren't as good (19 vs 23) but still a great truck.
I read a little bit about the common issues before buying. I was hoping I would be in the clear with how many miles were on it, plus it ran great on a long test drive. The interior features and body compared to other trucks of the early to mid 2000's won me over.

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
I mod on the F-150 forum as well; been on that site almost 15 years. As with any used vehicle purchase, you gotta do some research. You would have found that the early 2004 to about 2006 5.4's are prone to spark plug breakage (once replaced with upgraded plugs, they are fine) and the dreaded cam phaser issue.
I drive a 2007 F-150, but have the 4.6, which does not have any of the 5.4 issues, which was why I went with it, learning from being on that forum and researching it out.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
I read a little bit about the common issues before buying. I was hoping I would be in the clear with how many miles were on it, plus it ran great on a long test drive. The interior features and body compared to other trucks of the early to mid 2000's won me over.
To some degree you could've been in the clear too. It almost seemed hit or miss with some of those 5.4's. Just before I bought my 07 a coworker bought a used 07 F250 with the same 5.4 3V with ~104k miles on it and never had any issues. From what he could find it never had any major work done. Still factory phasers, injectors etc.

It's too bad Ford let those problems go and failed to resolve the issues promptly, the 04+ trucks really were great and as you said that interior redesign set the standard back then.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
To some degree you could've been in the clear too. It almost seemed hit or miss with some of those 5.4's. Just before I bought my 07 a coworker bought a used 07 F250 with the same 5.4 3V with ~104k miles on it and never had any issues. From what he could find it never had any major work done. Still factory phasers, injectors etc.

It's too bad Ford let those problems go and failed to resolve the issues promptly, the 04+ trucks really were great and as you said that interior redesign set the standard back then.
Absolutely, a friend suggested looking at the Silverado/Sierra 1500's before I came across this truck, I said "yeah, rock solid engines but I don't think I could get past the ugly body and interiors". That was for the pre 2007 redesigns, which I like. But an 07+ LTZ that I'd prefer is still in the 20 grand range.

I looked at a '13 FX4 Supercrew EB today just killing time. 68k miles, looks like it was abused a bit, oil dipstick hanging half way out and loaded with oil varnish like it wasn't changed enough. Alarm sounded off for no reason, loud cam phaser rattle for 2 seconds at startup. And this dealer still wants 30 grand for it :facepalm: Even the key buttons are completely worn out, how does somebody do that??

I told the sales guy my Mustang is in near immaculate condition in every way with 84k miles compared to this thing. It really sucks that my car is worth only half what these trucks are in great condition.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts