Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a hurst billet plus shifter about two years ago. I noticed that the shifter was rough when puttin it thru the gears. Really rough when checking for neutral it felting it was rubbing something. So, I asked some friends at a shop for so lift time. The shifter is rusty in the works and causing thissue

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

I'm asking what shifter is better and wouldn't rust in the works

·
Registered
309 Posts
*waits for the usual argument between proponents of Steeda, Pro 5.0, and MGW*

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Hurst comp

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The stock one is out of the picture. I tried to remove the rubber boot on the bottom to switch over the hurst and tore it. I'm going to try find a rubber boot for it or buy a new shifter but not Hurst. Unless Hurst updated their design with a rubber boot to keep out the crap out of the bottom of the shifter.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Always broke said:
The stock one is out of the picture. I tried to remove the rubber boot on the bottom to switch over the hurst and tore it. I'm going to try find a rubber boot for it or buy a new shifter but not Hurst. Unless Hurst updated their design with a rubber boot to keep out the crap out of the bottom of the shifter.
I would go MGW

·
Registered
193 Posts
Worth the money piece of crap stock shifter!!! I couldn't believe the comparison when i put them next to each other i did a lot of research on hurst and found a lot of complaints so yeah check out my pix and you decide

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've got an MGW and the bottom rubber boot is also torn and the shifter is exposed in the tunnel. So your problem is not isolated to Hurst shifters. I'm going to call MGW tomorrow and see if I can get a new boot.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
I prefer MGW (just a more solid part) just review each item, how its built, and reviews. Its sad there isnt an easy way to test them each out etc. All are good but MGW is just better (in my opinion)

Hurst is ok but a cheaper shifter vs what you can get else where.

·
Banned
510 Posts
tc x 4 said:
No problems with 5th and rev?
Definitely stiff the first few weeks. Didn't bother me though. 5th is no problem. I just grab the knob underhand to get in to reverse. The cons for their system are FAR outweighed by the pros IMO. In one of the more recent issues of MM&FF it was recommended in an article about a guy that specializes in building 3650s with remote shifters.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
muscledom said:
Definitely stiff the first few weeks. Didn't bother me though. 5th is no problem. I just grab the knob underhand to get in to reverse. The cons for their system are FAR outweighed by the pros IMO. In one of the more recent issues of MM&FF it was recommended in an article about a guy that specializes in building 3650s with remote shifters.
Maybe mines just not broke in. I only put 400mi on it this year. I down shifted from 5th to pass, when going back it went to 3rd , not good. I understand the stiff spring on the left so it goes from 2nd to 3rd automatically, but there's no reason for the right side spring being that stiff. Overall I wouldn't recommend it. There's just better choices out there.

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

My ol lady has to use both hands.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts