Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am a Newbie. I own a 2001 Bullitt GT #2172. Any recommendations for increasing my MPG? If so, what realistically MPG can I get from city/highway?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Is this car bone stock

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

And which is it a bullit or a gt

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
U will see little increases by upgrading the exhaust, intake, tune, and doing the normal maintenance. But the biggest thing to improve your mpg is drive like a grandma

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
Hello everyone,
I am a Newbie. I own a 2001 Bullitt GT #2172. Any recommendations for increasing my MPG? If so, what realistically MPG can I get from city/highway?
One of my Bullitts is #2117.
I think that the original window sticker claimed 18/26 mpg. That's pretty close to what you can expect. My all time high, on the freeway, is 27 mpg, averaged over several tanks of gas, on a round trip.
You can achieve those numbers if the car is tuned properly and if you just drive the car normally, but if you get into the throttle often, the miles per gallon will drop accordingly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jenco: This is my first Mustang. It is a 2001 Bullitt with a GT on the sides. I bought it about a month ago and I apologize that I'm not sure of all the upgrades. What I know is that it has off road pipes (standard pipes are in my garage),Diablo chip and suspension upgrade.
Bought from a guy who had two of them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Superdrift: Yea, the grandma driving is what I thought. My wife already says I drive that way....

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
Or maybe putting taller gears in the rear might help MPG.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Jenco: This is my first Mustang. It is a 2001 Bullitt with a GT on the sides. I bought it about a month ago and I apologize that I'm not sure of all the upgrades. What I know is that it has off road pipes (standard pipes are in my garage),Diablo chip and suspension upgrade.
Bought from a guy who had two of them.
Gotcha just asking the way it was worded anyway congrats on the bullit like everyone's saying if you want good mpg just stay out of the throttle but by saying that I spirit drive most of the time and I'm averaging about 20mpg the lowest I have had was 18mpg

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think taller gears is really the only thing you can do that will really have a noticeable impact. Might be able to squeak out 1 MPG or so with an economy tune. These engines just guzzle gas, hard to get around it. It's a muscle car.

Reactions: ELMCO

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I think taller gears is really the only thing you can do that will really have a noticeable impact. Might be able to squeak out 1 MPG or so with an economy tune. These engines just guzzle gas, hard to get around it. It's a muscle car.
I agree with this still 17 to 20 mpg isn't bad for the fun factor from the car

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have a 89 octane MPT tune that's pretty aggressive. I get 21 MPG city driving with that tune. 93 octane race I get 18-19 city. It's all in the tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
There are bigger factors for fuel economy that are easily manipulated.

The vehicle's weight is a major hindrance in town, and wind resistance is a big factor on highway.

Weight and wind drag effect the load on the engine. You should also get a manifold pressure guage. Manifold pressure indicates the load thats on the engine. You want high vacuum in the manifold which indicates the engine is under light load. If you can see the manifold pressure, you can easily change your driving habits to optimize gear and throttle changes

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
i noticed OP you said it had a diablo tune. what kind of tune? if it's power oriented that's gonna hurt your mpg in the end. maybe send off to diablo for a more conservative tune?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
upgraded exhaust, steeda underdrive pulleys, 75mm throttle body and an upgraded plenum. stock tune. stock 3.27 gears. I drove like a grandma, and got anywhere from 15 to 17 city, and usually 25 to 27 highway. 27 being 65, ac off and flat florida highways. 25 being 70 to 75, ac on. as for city, i found no difference in driving around keeping my rpms under 2k and just light taps on the throttle, vs 3k rpm shift and hauling *** to get to speed on the highway. of course i do have 150k mile old 02 sensors. one is rusted stuck and the hex nut is stripped, but no code.

Reactions: ELMCO

·
ME Bloodhound
14,699 Posts
Just remember. If you spend any money at all trying to solely improve mpg, think about how long it will take to recoup that cost. You can do all the calculations to figure it out, but generally people spend a few hundred dollars and it ends up taking tens of thousands of miles, upward of 80,000 miles to recoup that money.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts