Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so many questions that I do not know where to even start?

I have a 2004 GT that i purchased without an engine or transmission (a rebuilder) I am more knowledgeable about the older 302 HO's and know that the 4.6's came with better heads starting in 99' however if I can I would like to put a newer engine in my car if at all possible say out of a 2005 to 2013 if they will fit, what are the differences and what will have to happen to make one of the newer engines work, what are the 5/6 speed trans differences, and what will fit...I know they went to drive by wire at some point, but couldnt i still used a 04 cable/throttle body on a newer engine?
is there a specific section that covers swaps from SN-95 drivetrain to the newer 05 thru 13?
thanks in advance...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
A new coyote motor has been put into a new edge. Somebody has to have the link. If tour going that route :sickness:. If not that high of budget id say go with a 03/04 Cobra/ mach 4V. I believe the crank may have been updated for these years from a 99/01 Cobra. Also the heads are way better, no ticking like the 99/01 4V. Although I've read the 05 4V heads are the best over 03/04. Just really what your looking to spend. You have the ball in your park, bank account ;}„„„ tranny id go 6 speed. T-56 :like a boss:

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

Some info going 5.0
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f133/t292085/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd love to go DOHC 4V however...I will probably have to just upgrade to a newer 4.6 (used junkyard find) for now then maybe i can go "big" later on. Right now I just want to put a Decent 4.6 in thats not a complete dog...and that will hold up. You know to get it going and all first.

I did not know the Mach had the 4V engine in it as well, I will be on the look out- thanks for that info...

i love the 6 speed idea, what was the first year for a 6 speed in a GT mustang?
will a 99 thru 04 be the basic same transmission as the 05-13? are they a straight bolt in or will it take some doing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,257 Posts
Harper said:
I'd love to go DOHC 4V however...I will probably have to just upgrade to a newer 4.6 (used junkyard find) for now then maybe i can go "big" later on. Right now I just want to put a Decent 4.6 in thats not a complete dog...and that will hold up. You know to get it going and all first.

I did not know the Mach had the 4V engine in it as well, I will be on the look out- thanks for that info...

i love the 6 speed idea, what was the first year for a 6 speed in a GT mustang?
will a 99 thru 04 be the basic same transmission as the 05-13? are they a straight bolt in or will it take some doing?
If this is just a Project car then why not start putting the pieces together now for the swap you want!.. You'll save a ton more cash in the end!..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,996 Posts
Harper said:
I'd love to go DOHC 4V however...I will probably have to just upgrade to a newer 4.6 (used junkyard find) for now then maybe i can go "big" later on. Right now I just want to put a Decent 4.6 in thats not a complete dog...and that will hold up. You know to get it going and all first.

I did not know the Mach had the 4V engine in it as well, I will be on the look out- thanks for that info...

i love the 6 speed idea, what was the first year for a 6 speed in a GT mustang?
will a 99 thru 04 be the basic same transmission as the 05-13? are they a straight bolt in or will it take some doing?
The gt didn't have a 6 speed untill 2011. You want a tremec t 56 if you can get it. But they're pricey. The t3650 is the gt 5 speed and its a good trans too. If you plan on big power look into a tko 500 or 600 which are 5 speeds also. A mach 1 engine will range from 3k - 5k. They aren't cheap but they will work with a GT harness and computer and most accessories. If you could find a 4v engine with a 6 speed ur laughing. It's the route I would go. Only thing to get the t56 jn is a new trans brace and of course a new drive shaft. Unfortunately. I think you would also have to upgrade your rear end to he 31 spline e stuff as well. Note to also need a cobra or mach 1 rad to adequately cool a 4v. As for a newer engine I would stay away unless you have access to cheap fabrication work and lots of cash. I think the new 5.0 swap cost around 14k all in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
Harper said:
I'd love to go DOHC 4V however...I will probably have to just upgrade to a newer 4.6 (used junkyard find) for now then maybe i can go "big" later on. Right now I just want to put a Decent 4.6 in thats not a complete dog...and that will hold up. You know to get it going and all first.

I did not know the Mach had the 4V engine in it as well, I will be on the look out- thanks for that info...

i love the 6 speed idea, what was the first year for a 6 speed in a GT mustang?
will a 99 thru 04 be the basic same transmission as the 05-13? are they a straight bolt in or will it take some doing?
^^agreed.
Im not sure on the tranny fitment from 99-04 to 05-13.
The first 6 speed year, if im correct, on GT's was 11. 03/04 Cobras have a T56, think machs have the 5 speed 3650. Plus im sure any Cobras 05+ havw a 6. (Or to be correct GT500 ;})
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea 14k is not in my budget, nor really is 5k, I would probably just need to find a good used 99 thru 04 engine for now, with whatever manual transmission it comes with. however it doesnt hurt to know in case i run across a 4V engine/trans for cheap.

This car is a project, and will be a driver however i've raced in the past, and i dont want to get to the point where i am having to change out the rearend axles/etc...
I am most certain i will take it to a strip occocasionally, just to see what it will do. I do not however want to get in the habit of breaking parts that i have just installed.
i've owned several mustangs (79 big block coupe,82 GT, 89 GT, 90 GT, 91GT, 94 Cobra and have Never broken a T-5 or engine as of yet...raced quite a bit, even ran nitrous on 5 out of 6 of them. maybe i have been lucky...:)
thanks for the replys...
anyway,
i just want to get this thing together (it will be the newest mustang i have ever owned) and i appreciate everyone's input.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
Ryan7racin said:
2001 Gt with a new 2013 5.0 motor....
And I would do a 4v cobra swap or Mach 1 swap, I wouldn't put another 2v 4.6 in it, while you have the motor out might as well save a few extra bucks and get a really good motor not saying the 2v 4.6 isn't good cause mine is great it's just a weak v8 with weak power only way to get good power is supercharge it.
If I had the money this is what I would do, or a new 5.0 motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
Ryan7racin said:
And I would do a 4v cobra swap or Mach 1 swap, I wouldn't put another 2v 4.6 in it, while you have the motor out might as well save a few extra bucks and get a really good motor not saying the 2v 4.6 isn't good cause mine is great it's just a weak v8 with weak power only way to get good power is supercharge it.
If I had the money this is what I would do, or a new 5.0 motor.
Exactly about the 2v

Mach and cobra are same in ways but Mach has higher compression
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
The 2v 4.6 is almost like putting money into a V6 it's really pointless only real power gains we will see if we go FI. If I'm not mistaking the 2v 4.6 is one of the smallest v8s made.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
Slow2V said:
Exactly about the 2v

Mach and cobra are same in ways but Mach has higher compression
Aren't they both 10? Or even 9.5?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
655 Posts
DaBluedude said:
The gt didn't have a 6 speed untill 2011. You want a tremec t 56 if you can get it. But they're pricey. The t3650 is the gt 5 speed and its a good trans too. If you plan on big power look into a tko 500 or 600 which are 5 speeds also. A mach 1 engine will range from 3k - 5k. They aren't cheap but they will work with a GT harness and computer and most accessories. If you could find a 4v engine with a 6 speed ur laughing. It's the route I would go. Only thing to get the t56 jn is a new trans brace and of course a new drive shaft. Unfortunately. I think you would also have to upgrade your rear end to he 31 spline e stuff as well. Note to also need a cobra or mach 1 rad to adequately cool a 4v. As for a newer engine I would stay away unless you have access to cheap fabrication work and lots of cash. I think the new 5.0 swap cost around 14k all in.
Radiators are the same for all models. There is no fabrication needed... seriously where does this info come from. Any questions on 4v in a new edge GT check my sig or my sticky. And if you need pics I can share my build photos and vids as well. There is always a mark swap. There are a lot of deals out there . There are tons of options. Give me a yell and I'll be happy to help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
Ryan7racin said:
2001 Gt with a new 2013 5.0 motor....
There it is, :sickness:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
655 Posts
Ryan7racin said:
The 2v 4.6 is almost like putting money into a V6 it's really pointless only real power gains we will see if we go FI. If I'm not mistaking the 2v 4.6 is one of the smallest v8s made.
Interesting..... ever heard of a SHO V8? And either its a 2v or 4v its still a 4.6L. There is a lot of power in a 2v with work. And it will cost less then the 4v. Now there is a lot more potential with the 4v but to compare a 2v to a v6 is just plain silly. If your budget minded then build a 2v if you have the coin go 4v. Or you could mix it up and build a 5.4 4v or 2v. Got questions find me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
32vNomad said:
Interesting..... ever heard of a SHO V8? And either its a 2v or 4v its still a 4.6L. There is a lot of power in a 2v with work. And it will cost less then the 4v. Now there is a lot more potential with the 4v but to compare a 2v to a v6 is just plain silly. If your budget minded then build a 2v if you have the coin go 4v. Or you could mix it up and build a 5.4 4v or 2v. Got questions find me.
It would take a TON of work and money to make a 2v 4.6 fast. I'm not comparing a V6 to a 4.6 V8 I'm just saying its like trying to put performance parts on a V6 when it never will really be that fast.
While he has his motor out I would get a 4v 4.6 or 5.0 or 5.4 these motors respond better to bolt on's. a fully bolt on 2v 4.6 your lucky to see 300hp a 4v 4.6 comes stock with more than that.
I'm just saying while he's looking for a motor look for the 4v 4.6, 5.0 or 5.4 these motors produce a lot more power and respond better to bolt on's kinda a waste of money trying to make a 2v 4.6 fast I would know cause I have a ton of money into mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Harper said:
so many questions that I do not know where to even start?

I have a 2004 GT that i purchased without an engine or transmission (a rebuilder) I am more knowledgeable about the older 302 HO's and know that the 4.6's came with better heads starting in 99' however if I can I would like to put a newer engine in my car if at all possible say out of a 2005 to 2013 if they will fit, what are the differences and what will have to happen to make one of the newer engines work, what are the 5/6 speed trans differences, and what will fit...I know they went to drive by wire at some point, but couldnt i still used a 04 cable/throttle body on a newer engine?
is there a specific section that covers swaps from SN-95 drivetrain to the newer 05 thru 13?
thanks in advance...
I would look for a 2v block out of a explorer or mark viii for a base. You can pick up a t3650 for around 600 from MPS salvage if your live close to GA. The big question is how much power do you want to make and do you want to do it NA or FI?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Where are you from? Around Arkansas you can pick up a 4.6 cheap, heck I got 2 shortblocks and 1 long block and then my stroker shortblock
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Top