Mustang Evolution Forum banner

201 - 220 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Bro your either joking or know very little of the subject your speaking on. Keep it real homes
Ive owned 4 modern stangs (GT, V6 and BOSS) - modded, tested, dyno tested (by my fav dyno guy) all the popular add-ons and restored a mach1. My father was a Ford certified tech for 22 years. I can also write an intelligible post with complete sentences.

I may not qualify by your standards...but I do own a couple of "homes" :rolleyes:

·
Loc: Austin,TX
5,980 Posts
No more back and forth bickering posts please. This is a install/tech thread so please try and keep it that way.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Your 13 pulls the same as a stock 2011/12. And why would you waste your money on a CAI when your car comes with one? You cant return your car to stock and be fine at a dealership (these arent the previous models) the computer will track that. Also,if you spend time in 6K RPMs with the Boss mani then you are not using it correctly. Anyways.......this is a install/tech thread so lets keep it going in that direction.
Thx for the reply..

[On topic]
For a great Boss 302 intake step by step install video...this one is hard to beat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds3gGxe7_AU

The Boss 302 intake helps in the upper RPM range with little to no measurable gain on the low end compared to the stock manifold - 2013-2014 GT. The only reason to replace the stock intake is for extra top end boost for longer tracking, S/C or a nice look under the hood. It will do nothing for your 0-60..and yes Ive owned - installed one (and happily sold it, shortly after)

Be aware, the BOSS 302 is not a supported part for your newer GT and will void just about any warantee work for parts directly attached to the engine ( and the engine itself in some cases) .

[Off Topic]
The spec sheet begs to differ when comparing a 2013-14 GT to a 2012 or older model. ..I'll leave it at that.

Theres a TON of people who would strongly disagree that an aftermarket CAI has no benefit over a restrictive airbox.. :confused:

Fully aware of the flash footprint and key cycles on a PCM, my point was that none of my mods REQUIRE a tune (but would benefit) for the car to function. If you install a different manifold, over sized throttle body, a CAI without a venturi tube, Gears...etc...you will NEVER be able to return your car to stock without risking permanent damage or having to pull parts off your car (who wants to do that?!).

I spoke directly to my Ford Service Dept, asked what constitutes a warantee breach and what is or wont be covered with each mod. Do your homework and you wont have nasty surprises when service is required.

I apologize for the tit for tat post...not my intention.

·
Loc: Austin,TX
5,980 Posts
Only thing I would say to do differently is to flip the fuel rail to the side instead of pulling it all the way off. Attaching it to the mani before putting it in makes it a PITA. Also,that kit they sell is a huge waste of money,IMO. You get parts in that kit that just replace the brand new ones you already have and $5 at the parts store will get you what you need to do the job. The way the $5 kit and the $200 kit looks is a matter of opinion. I bought the kit,opened it, sent it back and picked up a Bob's catch can instead.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Other parts I'd recommend if you will be adding this....Ford Racing 90mm throttle body, the required adapter plus a good CAI that doesnt need a separate adapter to fit. The Ford parts are more expensive typically, but anything OEM IMO is better when you have choices on bolt on parts.

Now that your warantee is shot anyways, or if you dont care...the next logical step is better gearing...the 2nd biggest bang for the buck after a tune. Be aware.. anything over 3.73 is complete overkill and not Ford supported. The track packages on the GT max out at that gear level....for a reason! For me at least, I wouldnt go over 3.55 with a good tune or if you plan to S/C it. (Im talking automatic tranny here)

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
As was already stated, keep this thread on topic and stop the bickering.

·
Registered
91 Posts
In my experience I couldnt wait to yank it off my previous mustang when my car ran rougher and was made aware of its unsupported configuration with my model GT. Just because a mod "bolts on" doesnt make it OK for every application. Like everyone else here, I enjoy the performance game and am always looking for an edge.

Time to move on.

The BanHammer contains white out....

·
Registered
136 Posts
I wanna thank you for this right up. Its better than any youtube video or other instruction I have seen manifold works great pulls like a train

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
You drive trains, awesome

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
17 Posts
Very nice install instructions and conversation, being a noob here, it's nice to see the discussion of likes and dislikes of owners for a better idea of where I can take my build.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think it works better with more supporting mods such as a bigger tb, long tube headers, off road exhaust etc.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
There's a guy locally here selling the Boss mani, Steeda CAI, and stock TB for $500.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Will you lose a lot of torque with boss mani?

Nothing really noticeable. My mods:
-AirAid CAI
-Boss Mani
-Cat delete pipes
-3" catback exhaust
-93 octane hybrid tune
-MT street comp 305/35/20
-2" drop
-LCA and LCA reloc bracket
-3.31 gears

I can floor it from a 5mph roll with clutch fully engaged and 1st gear can still peel out past 6000/6300rpm on a 90 degree day and 5500rpm on a 70 or cooler day. Throttle response is very good past 3000 rpm. The 5.0 motor is pretty much like a Honda engine below 3k no matter what mani you run.

Keep in mind the 28.41" tall MT tires effectively makes the 3.31 gears even taller to something like 3.21 I can't remember the calculation.

My dyno was 423whp and 391 torque. Or maybe 401 torque I cant remember I lost the dyno sheet.

Either way the torque loss is overly exaggerated and the benefit is that you have more total HP and torque under the entire curve than a stock mani.

What I mean is if you color the area below the non boss mani curve blue and color the area of the boss mani fold power curve green, you can overlap the two areas and see that there is a shiit more green than blue indicating more total hp throughout the curve especially past 6500rpm.

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
Nothing really noticeable. My mods:
-AirAid CAI
-Boss Mani
-Cat delete pipes
-3" catback exhaust
-93 octane hybrid tune
-MT street comp 305/35/20
-2" drop
-LCA and LCA reloc bracket
-3.31 gears

I can floor it from a 5mph roll with clutch fully engaged and 1st gear can still peel out past 6000/6300rpm on a 90 degree day and 5500rpm on a 70 or cooler day. Throttle response is very good past 3000 rpm. The 5.0 motor is pretty much like a Honda engine below 3k no matter what mani you run.

Keep in mind the 28.41" tall MT tires effectively makes the 3.31 gears even taller to something like 3.21 I can't remember the calculation.

My dyno was 423whp and 391 torque. Or maybe 401 torque I cant remember I lost the dyno sheet.

Either way the torque loss is overly exaggerated and the benefit is that you have more total HP and torque under the entire curve than a stock mani.

What I mean is if you color the area below the non boss mani curve blue and color the area of the boss mani fold power curve green, you can overlap the two areas and see that there is a shiit more green than blue indicating more total hp throughout the curve especially past 6500rpm.

But if you aren't shifting past 7k its not exactly worth it from everything I'm reading but that's secondhand info, not personal experience. Been looking into it a bit if my 98 doesn't sell and I wind up swapping it in the future.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
But if you aren't shifting past 7k its not exactly worth it from everything I'm reading but that's secondhand info, not personal experience. Been looking into it a bit if my 98 doesn't sell and I wind up swapping it in the future.

Yes if you don't shift higher than 6500 then you actually have less total hp and torque vs a stock mani. But the plus side is if you shift at 75/7600 you have more total power and that 7600 redline means you can be in your power band for longer.

I think my tire, gear, and redline allows me to run to 114/115mph in third.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey guys here's a question on the subject of the boss mani I have a 2014 gt and I've been toying with idea of putting the boss mani on but I noticed on american muscle that the only install kit I can find if for the stock air box so what I'm wondering is there another install kit or something else I need because I have a bbk cold air intake already installed

201 - 220 of 357 Posts