·
Super Moderator
17,830 Posts
And a solid 4 letter vocabulary

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
575 Posts
Well for what's its worth I went ahead and asked my tuner Mike Roush what his thought and experience was with the Boss manifold and if he could make a recommendation for me. I told him that there was a ton of mixed info and I wanted to know what the "pro" thought. He seems to be a big name on this forum and a trusted guy to tune our mustangs. With the number of mustangs that he tunes and works with in his shop who better then to ask, Right. Well Mike wrote this back to me. " In my experience the stock manifold is faster. I wouldn't waste your money on a Boss manifold, If you really want a new manifold I recommend the cobra jet manifold but for the money its still not worth it for what you get." So for me and my N/A mustang im taking mikes advice and experience and not buying the Boss. Guys who are charged, turboed etc might get a different answer from Mike. Just wanted to share what was passed on to me by a very trusted name in the mustang world.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Go race a car with exact same mods as you just him with the boss. And wonder why you just got pulled on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
575 Posts
Go race a car with exact same mods as you just him with the boss. And wonder why you just got pulled on
This is a subject where it looks to be 50% for it 50% not for it. I dont have a Boss so I cant say a word about it. But thats why I asked a very big name like Mike about it and of course he seems to lean on the "dont get it" side. I want it even if its for the looks but rapinator you read on here just like i do and there are lost of guys who took the Boss off because they didnt like it. Wouldnt you agree that its not a cut and dry subject? For a person like me reading about it there is not a straight answer about this Boss intake. I wish i had a buddie who could run my car mod for mod and see what comes out on top.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
This is a subject where it looks to be 50% for it 50% not for it. I dont have a Boss so I cant say a word about it. But thats why I asked a very big name like Mike about it and of course he seems to lean on the "dont get it" side. I want it even if its for the looks but rapinator you read on here just like i do and there are lost of guys who took the Boss off because they didnt like it. Wouldnt you agree that its not a cut and dry subject? For a person like me reading about it there is not a straight answer about this Boss intake. I wish i had a buddie who could run my car mod for mod and see what comes out on top.
If the car is tuned correctly and setup for the boss then it's verry beneficial, only if you use it for what it's designed though. that's why it gets the rap it does.
90% of people will not use it to its potential. If you use the car for a DD commute around town 90% of the time, then yes it will be a waste. It needs to be reved out to take advantage of it

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
If you're not willing to go with a converter I agree with Mike the stock intake will work better for you.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Well for what's its worth I went ahead and asked my tuner Mike Roush what his thought and experience was with the Boss manifold and if he could make a recommendation for me. I told him that there was a ton of mixed info and I wanted to know what the "pro" thought. He seems to be a big name on this forum and a trusted guy to tune our mustangs. With the number of mustangs that he tunes and works with in his shop who better then to ask, Right. Well Mike wrote this back to me. " In my experience the stock manifold is faster. I wouldn't waste your money on a Boss manifold, If you really want a new manifold I recommend the cobra jet manifold but for the money its still not worth it for what you get." So for me and my N/A mustang im taking mikes advice and experience and not buying the Boss. Guys who are charged, turboed etc might get a different answer from Mike. Just wanted to share what was passed on to me by a very trusted name in the mustang world.

It's not rocket science. With the Boss Mani you have (more) power all the way to 7600rpm than the stock GT manifold which falls off the cliff after 6500. That's another 1000 or so rpm of power before you shift. The less you have to shift before you cross the line then the faster you go, roughly... For example, a bolton GT with 3.73 gears and 6800 redline needs an extra shift to cross the line in fifth gear will be a couple ticks slower vs four shifts of a car that doesn't need to shift at 6500. Even if the stock mani GT ups it's redline to 7600 it's power drops off by like 40-50whp vs the Boss Mani GT that it will still be a bit slower.

Also benefits tremendously in road races where you can rev to the higher RPMs and stay within power band (4500-7600 vs 4500-6500).

This has been explained a thousand times by a thousand people on this forum.

But the reason you shouldn't get the manifold is you don't understand the benefits of setting the car up properly to run the manifold. Even if you do get it it wouldn't benefit you because you don't know how to run it anyway. You wouldn't want to rev the motor up to the 7600rpm redline to extract the power. You will most likely stay around 6500 when you do shift so staying with he stock mani is perfect for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
575 Posts
I might add it to my wish list and give it a shot. The looks alone is worth it to me. My car is more of a weekend warrior and when I do race I want to get the best run I can. I think my tune shifts at 7400 right now and I don't know if I want to go further then that. Also im a CA resident so long tubes are not a mod I will be going with and im keeping my cats on I think. How do you think the Boss would perform without the long tubes and off road pipe?

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
No need to shift at 7400 with the stock manifold. You are actually loosing power by going that high

·
Registered
575 Posts
I might need to take it out and see what its at but mike tuned it so Im just shifting at what he set it at. I know my factory shift light comes on for about 1 sec then it shifts.

261 - 280 of 357 Posts