Mustang Evolution Forum banner

101 - 120 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
long time viewer, first time poster. I heard mix reviews of the boss 302 manni (to include this forum/msg board whatever it is) even after my wife bought it for me for a surprise last Christmas, I was hesitant to install it. I figured with the torque loss in really wouldn't be worth the hassle. I installed other MODs instead, Steeda CAI, bamma 93 tune, 373 gears and axle backs. That is until this last week I got bored and decided to give the boss a shot with an install planned for the weekend. With a call to Bama on tues i was ready for the weekend by Wednesday (thanks bama for your outstanding customer service as usual). I had the Boss installed in a little under 2 hrs after work on Friday, by far the hardest part was getting the dang harness detached on the stock mani. Stupid rivets.

Anyways, what a waste.. I should have installed this MONTHS AGO!!!! This thing is BAD A$$ and by far worth every red cent. The power gain is incredible as everyone else has said it just keeps pulling and pulling and pulling all the way through the power band. My car is faster. I know it, because I drive it all the time. I don’t have a dyno or slips to prove it but its faster.

So don’t be like me, and wait on this product. It is by far (tune aside) the best mod I have. I would say maybe the 373s as BAMA informed me would benefit you if you don’t already have that gear setup or higher.

in short dont believe the boss haters!!
 

·
The Blue Dragon
Joined
·
5,661 Posts
MikeC said:
long time viewer, first time poster. I heard mix reviews of the boss 302 manni (to include this forum/msg board whatever it is) even after my wife bought it for me for a surprise last Christmas, I was hesitant to install it. I figured with the torque loss in really wouldn't be worth the hassle. I installed other MODs instead, Steeda CAI, bamma 93 tune, 373 gears and axle backs. That is until this last week I got bored and decided to give the boss a shot with an install planned for the weekend. With a call to Bama on tues i was ready for the weekend by Wednesday (thanks bama for your outstanding customer service as usual). I had the Boss installed in a little under 2 hrs after work on Friday, by far the hardest part was getting the dang harness detached on the stock mani. Stupid rivets.

Anyways, what a waste.. I should have installed this MONTHS AGO!!!! This thing is BAD A$$ and by far worth every red cent. The power gain is incredible as everyone else has said it just keeps pulling and pulling and pulling all the way through the power band. My car is faster. I know it, because I drive it all the time. I don’t have a dyno or slips to prove it but its faster.

So don’t be like me, and wait on this product. It is by far (tune aside) the best mod I have. I would say maybe the 373s as BAMA informed me would benefit you if you don’t already have that gear setup or higher.

in short dont believe the boss haters!!
^

BOOM!!

Enough said
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
brianw64 said:
Hey guys I installed the Boss intake and I gotta say that who ever said its a waste of time? I have to disagree....The Intake does take away alot of low end torque, and i wasnt happy about that, BUT.....It will more than satisfy you when you get the rpms up going thru the gears...!!!! IT is a beast, it never quits and from 2nd gear to 5th its AMAZING!! I am new to this and I dont want to step on toes here but Im only talking from experience, and I know because I drive it everyday, and I made up for the hp loss on the lower end with other mods...and my car is VERY FUN TO DRIVE!

---------- Post added at 08:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

Oh and i know someone will ask this so I will just answer it, what I did to get the low end HP back was I put 4.10 gears in with aluminum flywheel and Driveshaft, and dont let the reviews on aluminum flywheels scare you, its so much fun to have those in there, I have more low end torque now then I did with the stock manifold and its very FUN to shift thru the gears now , the fw and ds work so well together and it really made it a rocket..Headers are going on this week...and Im getting a dyno done on monday 8/20 and will post hp, I want to see just what my mods have done.
I have to disagree on the low end torque loss. There was hardly any loss down low, nothing I could notice and just more power in the mid to top end. I still have the factory 3.73 gears too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,045 Posts
I have to disagree on the low end torque loss. There was hardly any loss down low, nothing I could notice and just more power in the mid to top end. I still have the factory 3.73 gears too.
I also thought the torque loss was negligible, if any, and was more than offset by the off-road X I put on later. I think the only people who have issues with low end torque are the ones trying to drag race on street tires that can't launch at a high enough RPM to keep it from bogging.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
I feel like there was no gain from mine. Im thinking its the tune. What tune are you running? I have a ghost cam tune from lund.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
BAMA 93R. So weird, I see 2-3 guys with the boss that feel they lose or dont gain HP. I put this thing on and its the complete opposite. Nothing but power gain.. I dont even feel any low end loss at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,045 Posts
Supertzi said:
So shoukd i just try another tune
You should do some datalogs and send them to Lund. Tell him you aren't feeling the gains you expected.

Also, the main places you'll see gains are on high rpm launches and by really winding the car out. What rpms are you launching and shifting at?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Well they finally gave me a retune but couldnt get it to cam. I ran 2 twnths slower on that tune. Since then they havnt wanted to give me a retune to fix the cam effect. I personally just am not satisfied with t lethal performance at all
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,045 Posts
Supertzi said:
Well they finally gave me a retune but couldnt get it to cam. I ran 2 twnths slower on that tune. Since then they havnt wanted to give me a retune to fix the cam effect. I personally just am not satisfied with t lethal performance at all
Don't run ghost cam tunes at the track...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
I shift at 7600 and launch around 2500 because of my tires. But even winding out gear from a high roll i have no gains.

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Why not run ghost cam at the track. I ran faster with it. I have also had no problen with thw ghost cam ever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,045 Posts
I shift at 7600 and launch around 2500 because of my tires. But even winding out gear from a high roll i have no gains.

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Why not run ghost cam at the track. I ran faster with it. I have also had no problen with thw ghost cam ever.
Yeah, 2500 is about all you'll get on street tires, but I bet the Boss is bogging off the line. I was also told that the ghost cam tunes aren't ideal for the track since they tend to make the car "stumble" off the line. I personally wouldn't run one for track duty, too much screwy stuff going on with the cam timing...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
My car doesn't stumble with the cams. It runs fine.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

That I know of at least lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Do you think that maybe since I have the roush cold air intake and it reuses stock tubing and thats why im not having big gains? Also instead of a 3" offroad pipe i just have a cat delete on the stock h pipe. And roush axle back.
 

·
The Blue Dragon
Joined
·
5,661 Posts
Supertzi said:
Do you think that maybe since I have the roush cold air intake and it reuses stock tubing and thats why im not having big gains? Also instead of a 3" offroad pipe i just have a cat delete on the stock h pipe. And roush axle back.
No and no. Napoleon and I are both running stock airbox, and the cats themselves are very restrictive, while the size of the exhaust pipe isn't the most free flowing just deleting the cats should be more than enough. Have sent any datalogging to your tuner?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Doing my install now. Just needing a tune to get me going.
 
101 - 120 of 357 Posts
Top