Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to install a new valve cover on the driver side on my 2000. I was wondering if someone could offer a guide on the tools, materials, and direction on installing it.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Just a standard 1/4 in socket wrench set with a wobble attachment to get the top blots that might be hard to get to if the upper intake nmanifold is in the way, mine were 8mm bolts and you will need deep well if any have plug wire looms attached as for material you will need new Valve cover gaskets.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Rellik said:
I know you have to remove the intake manifolds in a pre99 because they're in the way, but I dont know if you have to do the same thing in the 99+'s :|

Evin my man dont say that buddy. If you take the upper off you just wasted your time :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I did it a few days ago and did not take my intake off :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ;) ;)

That is why I said a wobble or some people call a knuckle adapter on the end of a 1/4 extension and a 8 MM socket on the wobble allows you to get the the bolts at a 45 degree angle with no problems

Dude I have been a mechanic for a very long time I never take anything off unless I sure as hell have no other choice

Corey

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
hehehe, cool :) I'll ahve to do that then. I could have sworn that I would have had to take that monster off to get to the valve covers. I'll just have to go take another look at it I guess.

Thanks Again Corey :)

Corey = wealth of information :mrgreen:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know I have to remove the DISTRIBUTOR CAP and unplug the spark plugs wires. I don't have a torque wrench and do you really need one.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
Hi Dave,,

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic, and if you're not.. I don't want to suggest your statement is dumb..

Our cars do not have distributers. We have an electronic ignition system and you can see it bolted on the drivers side of the upper intake. It's a black rectangular box that has the spark plug wires coming off it.

The picture on Az2KVert's site shows the ignition module..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My bad, but thanks for the correction. Do you have to remove it or can I work around it.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
No you dont need a torque wrench with the installation of the valve covers there is a rubber gasket and tighten till it meets with medium resistance and I would not remove the plug wires completely just lay the box off to the side unless you mark them or they are already marked

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Ken said:
Hi Dave,,

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic, and if you're not.. I don't want to suggest your statement is dumb..

Our cars do not have distributers. We have an electronic ignition system and you can see it bolted on the drivers side of the upper intake. It's a black rectangular box that has the spark plug wires coming off it.

The picture on Az2KVert's site shows the ignition module..
We also call these "black rectangular box" a coil pack. ;)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
LOL, Its also called your DIS or Distributorless Ignition System, I have been waiting for someone to call it by its right name, but nobody did. :wtf:

Also I concur with Brother Corey, never, ever take things off or apart if you can avoid it, or another good one for ya, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, lol. A favorite one of one of the instrutors at the Mechanics program I was in was , "Get a bigger hammer".

·
Registered
567 Posts
talk about reviving the dead. Thats like 4 threads from months ago that were brought back up. :wtf:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts