Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im preparing to install some Steeda ultralights on my 2012 3.7... I am very much so a "do it yourself" kind of guy and this will be no exception. I just had a few questions...

1: if you have installed lowering springs yourself, how difficult was it? Anything specific I should look out for?

2: did you use a panhard bar to keep your rear in line or was it ok as is?

3: how much trouble did you have compressing the front and rear springs? Did you use spring compressors?

I lifted a truck a few years back and bent a set of compressors doing it. I ended up having to pay someone to use a hydraulic compressor to get them on. Should I buy compressors or just find someone to compress them for me?

thanks

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to the AM website the Steeda Ultralight springs lower the car 1.25" in the front and 1.5" in the back.

thanks for the link

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so, looking over the install guide I think I could do this relatively easily. My big worry would be not being able to install the 21mm nut on top of the strut by hand like was done in the write up. he says that the springs he was using were just short enough that he was able to start threading the nut by hand then tighten it down with a socket. If Im not able to get the nut started by hand then Im back to getting spring compressors...... I wish there was a way to find the hight of the stock springs VS the height of the steeda ultralights.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds good. I get the concept of using the jack to slowly let out the pressure on the springs. I guess it would work in reverse too, would just be a pain to get everything lined up properly but whatever. Thanks for the input, i feel better about this now.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had a shop do mine. Really diddnt wanna mess with the fronts but as for the rears its a piece of cake. Just take your time and double check your work. As for a panhard bar some people get lucky but I wasnt my rear shifted about an inch or so with a 1.25" drop all around.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Time consuming:...Suspension jobs and preparing, researching is time consuming. Of course if you can get away with just a set of lowering springs and an alignment, then it's cake. Two hours, done!
As soon as you realize it's not low enough for the cost and effort or it doesn't handle superbly, it turns into a 10 hour job doing the work on your own. Lowering springs, shocks/struts, X2 balljoints, bumpsteer kit, caster/camber plates, sway bars, ect...

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Time consuming:...Suspension jobs and preparing, researching is time consuming. Of course if you can get away with just a set of lowering springs and an alignment, then it's cake. Two hours, done!
As soon as you realize it's not low enough for the cost and effort or it doesn't handle superbly, it turns into a 10 hour job doing the work on your own. Lowering springs, shocks/struts, X2 balljoints, bumpsteer kit, caster/camber plates, sway bars, ect...
That's why ima do it all at once :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts