Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I here there is a good "how-to" on how to remove the stock air intake silencer on the 3.7. I know it wont give me any power gain but I have a cone filter adapted onto it and that gave me a slight gain. Mostly just looking to enhance the sound it makes.

and yes, i tried the search function

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Try bucko. He has done this. I believe you chop it off and Fiberglas it back. Where you get idk

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just sent bucko a PM, hopefully he can answer this for me. Thanks to all

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
Sorry for the delay in responding.

I used a dremel tool with a round cutting disc. This made it easy to cut the silencer off. I suppose a sharp razor or knife could be used, but the dremel will make this easy. Then I used some fiberglass (kit can be bought at any parts store) to seal the hole. After the fiberglass hardened, I sanded it smooth, and used Krylon Fusion spray paint for plastics to finish it off. You could use any color to match your car body color, inlay a nice decal, whatever to detail it if you want. Start in the morning, and you could have it all done in the evening, as long as the fiberglass hardens; this may take longer if you live up north in the colder weather right now.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts

I used a dremel tool with a round cutting disc. This made it easy to cut the silencer off. I suppose a sharp razor or knife could be used, but the dremel will make this easy. Then I used some fiberglass (kit can be bought at any parts store) to seal the hole. After the fiberglass hardened, I sanded it smooth, and used Krylon Fusion spray paint for plastics to finish it off. You could use any color to match your car body color, inlay a nice decal, whatever to detail it if you want. Start in the morning, and you could have it all done in the evening, as long as the fiberglass hardens; this may take longer if you live up north in the colder weather right now.
How easy is fiberglass to work with?

·
Registered
154 Posts

Can you post a pic of your work??

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
How easy is fiberglass to work with?
The kit you can buy comes with some sheets of fiberglass, the liquid, and a tube of hardner. The instructions are easy to follow;

1) cut to fit the fiberglass shet to fit the hole you are patching, overlaping the hole a good inch past the hole all around.
2) pour the liquid into a container you plan to toss away (don't use any container you want to keep! the leftover turns hard as a rock!). Add some hardner (follow directions)

3) Using a disposable small paint brush, apply the mixture to the patch. Don't worry about getting it real smooth; you'll sand it smooth once it hardens (happens fast!).

---------- Post added at 07:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 AM ----------

Can you post a pic of your work??
I'll try to get to it this week. I admit, I'm very lazy when it comes to posting pics of things; pain for me to reduce the picture(s) to be able to download to a site.

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
Just saw this on Ebay....seller says it's for a 2011 V6, but I thought all V6 stock air intakes had a silencer built into them, and the intake tube was hard plastic. Might be worth a question to the seller if someone here wants an air tube without the siliencer. Priced cheap too. I think this is from the earlier V6 Mustangs; not a 3.7. Still might work though (flex tube).

2011 Used Ford Mustang V6 Air Box Intake Unit Take Off | eBay

·
Abominable Mustang
1,926 Posts
That looks it came off of the 4.0L V6. Maybe the seller meant 2010.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts