Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
:D :rolleyes: i want a turbo sound when i rev up! :headbang: (o wait, I will have to see the stang and geta F350 Powerstroke!!!!!!! :D )

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Please keep in mind, that when you're reving like that, you dont hear a damn thing from the CAI!!!! The CAI only whistles at certian RPM's. the sucking sound you'll hear any time you stomp on the gas, but thats it.

Example... My car can be heard when the engine us under load between 1800 RPM's through about 2400 RPM's with a constant acelleration. When I floor it, I can't hear it at all.

If you want the sound constantly, get a Supercharger... cuz thats the only way you're going to hear whistling all the time.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
drill holes in the cai. that will create more of a vacuum and more air will escape so you should hear more whistling.

then again, youll get a CEL cause youll be losing metered air or gaining metered air. depending on if youre in a suction or vacuum phase

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Monkey said:
drill holes in the cai. that will create more of a vacuum and more air will escape so you should hear more whistling.

then again, youll get a CEL cause youll be losing metered air or gaining metered air. depending on if youre in a suction or vacuum phase
It's a good thing you mentioned that second line... I was about to lay the smack down :p

Actually, if you're drilling holes AFTER your MAF, you'll probably run a risk of screwing up your A/F ratio so much that it would probably stall your engine. Been there, done that. :(

I have no idea if putting holes in your CAI will cause more or less whistling... I've never heard anyone doing it in the first place.

You want a whistle? Mount a whistle inside your tubing... that will work too :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My friend with his 98 Gt told me how. When you attach the filter to the pipe, make it so that there is a little gap to get the sound. He said his whistle from 1st to 2nd.

Why? I don't know. It's a regional thing. One of the dude's I know has a Probe that sounds like someone whistling right into your ear. :headbang:

·
Registered
414 Posts
My guess is that's a blow off valve. So um, either get a turbo or a really loud speaker under your hood and just play a CD of the Fast and the Furious sound effects.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Dom said:
My friend with his 98 Gt told me how. When you attach the filter to the pipe, make it so that there is a little gap to get the sound. He said his whistle from 1st to 2nd.

Why? I don't know. It's a regional thing. One of the dude's I know has a Probe that sounds like someone whistling right into your ear. :headbang:
Regional thing? I guess I can understand that. I drive with one hand at noon, and another one on my shifter... just like every other crazy mo-fo driver in So-Cal.

Anyway, comparing a GT to a V6 induction is a little different due to the differences in CFM's... the V8 will pull more air through the filter at different velocities. The whistle on the V8 may very well be the fact that the engine just needs more air.

A theory as to the whistles... is the depth of the filter is secured on the tube. Play around with the depth, before you start leaving holes in the system. Leaving the filter a little bit off... no matter how hard you secure it on the rest of the tube, WILL fall off eventually from vibration... I know.... mine did once :( I'm lucky I didn't run it over :(.

I'd be willing to try to help ya out... trying to make a louder CAI... We would just first, need to figure out why it whistles in the first place.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Rellik said:
I drive with one hand at noon, and another one on my shifter... just like every other crazy mo-fo driver in So-Cal.
And if you're driving an automatic you have the left elbow on the window ledge (window rolled down) and your hand on your A pillar, right? Caly fornication baby! :D When I lived there everyone did that... everyone MUST have one arm out the window.

I drive like you though (left at noon and right on the shifter).

Rellik said:
I know.... mine did once :( I'm lucky I didn't run it over :(.
I'm sorry, but I find this funny. :D Mine hopefully won't ever fall off either. If it comes loose though it's so big it probably can't fit in the hole to get all the way to the road. :D

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
My MAC whistled like a banshee when I had my stock TB on but when I went to a 5.0 60 mm TB the whistle went away and thank God. now when I stomp on the throttle I get a heavy sucking of air sound for a couple of seconds.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
V6PowerStang said:
And if you're driving an automatic you have the left elbow on the window ledge (window rolled down) and your hand on your A pillar, right? Caly fornication baby! :D When I lived there everyone did that... everyone MUST have one arm out the window.
Sometimes ;) But usually when I'm in an automatic, it's only for a short time... no real time to get comforable.

V6PowerStang said:
Rellik said:
I know.... mine did once :( I'm lucky I didn't run it over :(.
I'm sorry, but I find this funny. :D Mine hopefully won't ever fall off either. If it comes loose though it's so big it probably can't fit in the hole to get all the way to the road. :D
Hey, I wouldnt be able to have the "CAI Guy" title if I didnt screw up a lot more, and learn a lot more from those screw ups ;) :thumbsup:

I heard this click, swhoooosh, thud, then I look out my review mirror.... to see my brand new Holley Air Filter flipping and rolling through the air behind me :shock: . I pulled over, ran back for it, just in time for a Pickup to slow down, look at what I was going to grab, and chuckle a little bit :) :D :D :D I laugh at it now, but I felt like a total goofball when it happened. :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
It isn't just a cali thing. Every vehicle I drive with shift in center I have hand at noon and right hand on shifter, even my auto. When I'm in a column shift I have on hand resting on it and the other at noon. Works out pretty good. You're not alone. I will admit that when I am messing around in the summer I have my arm just like you say, but It's more to hold me in place when I'm doin donuts. But I do that in 5 speeds too, just keeps you in place.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
i drive with my left hand at 8 (o'clock) and my right hand on the shifter (but its a auto) or pushin buttons on my palm pilot (its next to my fire radio) till i get my computer.. :headbang: Driver window is ALWAYS down, air/heat on when the temp needs it.. :D

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Danger Dude said:
My MAC whistled like a banshee when I had my stock TB on but when I went to a 5.0 60 mm TB the whistle went away and thank God. now when I stomp on the throttle I get a heavy sucking of air sound for a couple of seconds.
yeah, i had the BBK 56mm TB and there was no whistling on it. was great til i went back to stock but kept the cai. now it whistles like a b*tch

·
Registered
567 Posts
Dom said:

this reminds me of one thing..

WOOO WOOOOOO

:D :D :D

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
if you want a whistle you gotta get the cheap ass pep boys filters. thats what i got for my bird and it whistled all the way to 2800rpm. then i moved up to a nice big k&n and it makes no morw whistle. it just makes a big WHOOSH as it sucks in air when i stomp it. thats what i like to hear.

on a further note, it is a cali thing. i have an auto, and i drive leaning towards the center of the car, right hand comfortably wrapped around my shifter, left hand at 12 o'clock on the wheel. it just makes you look like either a true badass or complete poser. i try to hope im seen as a badass, but with no front bumper and messed up drivers fender, i prolly look the latter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts