Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was thinking of doing a IRS swap into my 01 GT i was wondering if there's a write up on it and if its really worth the work and money? Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Everything bolts right up, only decision is whether to change the u joint on the driveshaft or the pinion flange on the diff.

You will need the irs assembly with all hardware and brackets. Irs springs and shocks.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Azure said:
Stock for stock, can an IRS hook up better than the 8.8 SRA?
As far as drag racing? The halfshafts is the weakness, they don't take much of a launch to break

·
Lorraine's driver
8,196 Posts
As far as drag racing? The halfshafts is the weakness, they don't take much of a launch to break
I've seen a few IRS swaps on Mach 1's. I'm wondering why. I think the Mach's were kinda setup to run the quarter more so the GT's. Maybe it's Cobra envy, Lol.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are they worth the swap and time and money? Do they handle better? I don't plan on drag racing more autocross style racing.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
buickregal79 said:
Are they worth the swap and time and money? Do they handle better? I don't plan on drag racing more autocross style racing.
Well, you will be adding right at 300lbs to your car and honestly a sra can handle better than ford's version of irs. If I was building a irs car to be competitive it would involve $1800 in mods just to start. That's why I went with a built sra in my cobra

·
Lorraine's driver
8,196 Posts
Well, you will be adding right at 300lbs to your car and honestly a sra can handle better than ford's version of irs. If I was building a irs car to be competitive it would involve $1800 in mods just to start. That's why I went with a built sra in my cobra
Do you think an aftermarket option would have a less weight increase compared to the Ford IRS too?

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Azure said:
Do you think an aftermarket option would have a less weight increase compared to the Ford IRS too?
There are no aftermarket irs units currently on the market I know of. The problem with the factory unit is ford designed the irs unit around the sra format. It bolts to the lca and quad shock locations.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,196 Posts
There are no aftermarket irs units currently on the market I know of. The problem with the factory unit is ford designed the irs unit around the sra format. It bolts to the lca and quad shock locations.
Wow, when you mentioned that it bolted right up, I assumed there were holes made during manufacturing that ended up on all uni-body stangs to save tooling, etc. They really did slap that in there.:(

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Azure said:
Wow, when you mentioned that it bolted right up, I assumed there were holes made during manufacturing that ended up on all uni-body stangs to save tooling, etc. They really did slap that in there.:(
Yupp. There is a bracket that attaches to three holes on each side where quad shock attaches, I believe only two of these are used with the quad shock setup.

I swapped a sra with a irs in under 30 minutes with hand tools, it's really not hard.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From what i have now heard i think i will stick with my Sra and do i build up around it, what are the really good upgrades i should look for parts wise.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
buickregal79 said:
From what i have now heard i think i will stick with my Sra and do i build up around it, what are the really good upgrades i should look for parts wise.
What is your car and what is currently done to it?
Also, what are your goals for the car?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its an 01 GT, the car is currently stock. I want to do a supercharger in a few months would like to do a 6spd swap and autocross the car.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is a kit from American muscle that says to be used in "bone stock application" so i should build the bottom end up anyways?

·
Registered
542 Posts
There is a kit from American muscle that says to be used in "bone stock application" so i should build the bottom end up anyways?
You should always when running boost, the stock crank is good up to 600 hp, I would just to be safe but how much boost do you plan on running?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No more than 8psi, this would be the first time doing a supercharged application is why i asked, ive always been stuck on making it all motor no forced induction of any kind now i dont care power is power haha.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts