Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a wreck in my 2014 v6 and am thinking about getting into the v8. I found one i like for a price i can afford, but it has 81k miles. My v6 had 87k miles and was solid, except for the AC going out. What are the chances i will come across an expensive problem with a coyote with 81k miles?

·
Premium Member
6,965 Posts
You can come across an expensive fix with any car. It all depends on how the vehicle is maintained and if was beat on.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I haven't really seen any mileage related failures on coyotes. Most of them are caused by too much power, abuse/misuse, a bad tune, a factory defect that becomes apparent at a much lower mileage, etc

Of course you still have normal "wear" items like clutch, belts, ac/alternator, etc.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You can come across an expensive fix with any car. It all depends on how the vehicle is maintained and if was beat on.

Pick your poison.

Boom he is right. I'm crossing in 100k slowly but I've had it for 50k and always kept up with the maintenance. Anything can be wrong with the vehicle or nothing. Sadly you'll never get the true answer for either question. If you do get it I'd switch all the fluids once it's in your hands, either pray it's a good car or find a less used vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think you should look at the platforms as a whole for the most part the 11 through 14s have been pretty reliable, there have not been mass postings of s197s just ****ting the bed after 80k. As long as service has been maintained and not overly abused you should only worry about normal fault items, starter, alt, water pump etc. The coyote is a solid platform.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You can get some idea of how it's been maintained by the general condition of the car in relation to its original appearance. A '13 can be as little as 5 or as much as 6 years old. The paint, body, and upholstery should all look very good at the least. Lack of maintenance, or carelessness in any one area is an indicator of how it was kept in general. Double check for last minute fixes. Add-ons for racing or to boost power or for attention-getting are red flags. Although today's engines are much longer lasting than those of the past, the 12K a year rating is still considered a reliable gauge of normal use. A 6-year-old Mustang would therefor have about 72K on the odometer. 81 K is high, but if the car was very well maintained this might not be a deal-breaker. Personally, I'd pass on it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you bouhgt it for a real good price it's ok. All cars are about maintainence, fuluids regularly changed,etc. good luck!

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
If you can get it for a great price, Go ahead and get it.
Generally you can tell if any car has been abused and not taken care of.
Before you plunk down the $$$$, Take it to another dealer or trusted wrench to get it checked out.
Also get a car-Fax on it.
Then negotiate a price you feel comfortable with.
Ronnie

·
Registered
35 Posts
Like other people said, it's always a crap shoot. My coyote is at about 35k right now so I can't speak for high mileage issues. I got it at 15k, and put on another 20k in a 6 month period. I'm in the military and go home every weekend, so it's lots of just 80 mph highway driving. 300 miles minimum in a 3 day period almost every week, plus road trips. Never had a single problem.

The best thing you can do save for a mechanic looking it over, is look at the general condition of the car. An interior that is kept immaculate and an exterior that has been kept meticulously cleaned and waxed shows someone that has cared for their car. A very dirty engine bay might hint towards someone that has never dug around in there to change fluids and perform maintenance. Also check panels, looking for fitment issues to see if there's been a wreck and body parts have been replaced.

If there have been modifications that could throw up flags. Let's be honest; everyone wants to modify their car and make it unique, but no one wants to buy one that's been modified. Did they take it to a garage to have it done, or did they do it themselves? That may not be an issue (I do all my own modifications) but how good of a job did they do? Did they use cheap parts? Did they properly tighten down or even break bolts?

Buying a used car is always a gamble and 80k is starting to get up there. But that doesn't mean it's a bad car. If you want it, go for it. Just have money set aside for repairs. Regardless of condition, a car is always going to eat money.

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
Its only a crapshoot if the buyer allows it to be. As Ronnie pointed out, take it to mechanic to have it checked out. If you can obtain service records, do that too (CarFax can offer this if the car was serviced by shops rather then the owner.).

·
Registered
126 Posts
My 2011 auto has 60k on it...no issues. Boosting in spring hopefully, now that it is not my daily driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Hey Entities19,
Did you end up buying the GT ???????????
Ronnie

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 2011 GT/CS 6-speed has 48k miles. No real issues so far besides the clutch packs in the rear diff starting to make noise. I've got a rattle between 3000 and 4000rpm in 3rd and 4th gear but I'm pretty sure that it's caused by my Blowfish bracket since it stops when I grab the shifter.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Another thing to consider is the price, I did not see one listed, I would probably pay like $14-$16k for that car if in good condition at over 80K on the odometer, nothing more, and it would have to be in pretty good shape for that amount.

Like others have stated, take it for a test drive to a mechanic have them do a full inspection on a lift, checking everything, brake lines, e-brake, look for leaks, suspension, rotors and pads, rust or rot underneath, inspect the exhaust, pay attention to the wiring look for anything indicating damage or being played with (such as someone installing a controller or other electronics and hacking it up. Do not forget to get it on the highway up to 75 mph and make sure no shakes and rattles and that it brakes strait under hard braking.

Look for anything not stock. Interior wear will be obvious. Check all weather stripping on trunk, doors, windows, hood. Check inside the door jams for piles of dirt and leaves just stuck in there etc.

Pull the plugs, check oil, coolant etc. And see if you can hit a dealer, have them run the vin number and check for service, and if any recalls were done etc.

Its alot to go through for piece of mind but if the car is nice enough and in good shape it should be worth it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts