Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is an Idle RPM of 500 the proper Idling number for a 2001 Mustang GT V8 while in drive?

Recently, I had my Mustangs Intake Manifold replaced, due to multiple cracks on my old one. I am just curious if the 500 Idle number is where my Mustang should be at while stopped at a red light or stop sign. Mech inquiries would be great!
While in Park my idle is just under 750, which I believe is good and overall my car runs much better than it did when I had the cracked one, however, it just seems like the 500 number while in drive could be a little low, but I have heard it varies from car to car and it should be on the lower end with a V8.

-I should also add that my car has been running off old gas, at least week old from before I brought it into the shop to have my Mech put the new manifold on. could that effect this? if it is a tad lower than what it should be?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is an Idle RPM of 500 the proper Idling number for a 2001 Mustang GT V8 while in drive?

after driving a few days check the spark plugs.If the electrode is brown/tan and the top of the plug where the threads start is black then the idle is too low.This means while driving the engine is burning gas normal but when idling its too rich

·
Registered
38 Posts

With your automatic in drive and the automobile stopped the RPM should be no higher than 600 RPM. Higher than that engages the torque converter.and can cause strain on the transmission.

·
Registered
38 Posts

an Idle RPM of 500 is about right

·
Registered
9 Posts

Stomp on gas a few times and see if it stalls if you can't stall it like that or in drive then you should be good. Make adjustment with good gas only!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts