Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been seeing a lot of threads about a CAI not being worth the money to put on a 2012 V6 automatic. Not sure how accurate that is. I put one on my 2006 V6 and it the MPG gain was noticeable. I did feel added HP and TQ.

Should I just go with a tune, Gears, LSD??? What are the pros and cons?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would say get one. CAI was the first mod on my '11 V6 and throttle response was a bit better and it made the stock exhaust alittle louder. Plus the little hiss it gives when you first get on the gas in every gear is nice.

With a tune, you would see even more gains.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Ive been seeing a lot of threads about a CAI not being worth the money to put on a 2012 V6 automatic. Not sure how accurate that is. I put one on my 2006 V6 and it the MPG gain was noticeable. I did feel added HP and TQ.

Should I just go with a tune, Gears, LSD??? What are the pros and cons?
The newer 6's have and 8.8 w/ LSD I believe :good:
Get a tune w/ that CAI and you'll be golden! Gears are always a good mod, especially with an auto.. The tuner will do wonders for that auto as well :good:

·
Registered
809 Posts
better off just getting a tune if you cant afford the CAI/Tune combo.... but your warranty go's out the window. I personally think they are super over priced for what it is. It's almost everyone's first tune so they get away with charging an arm and a leg.... You can also build your own for about $100 and get the same results. I did

·
Registered
809 Posts
I already know your going to ask how.......

find the guy with the user name Sanguin

he has a good write up on it. If you can find any of his posts there is a link in his signature. you can also do this and keep the stock intake tube. You need a cone air filter, a MAF adaptor from Spector, a 4" to 3" adaptor from Spector and I used a 3" long, 3" diameter tube from them also to connect to the stock intake tube. you will need to order the MAF adaptor and 3" to 4" adaptor online.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would say yes its worth it. My mods are exhaust, tune and cai. The cai and tune does work best in tandum. Sounds great and gains are obvious when driven.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The newer 6's have and 8.8 w/ LSD I believe :good:
Get a tune w/ that CAI and you'll be golden! Gears are always a good mod, especially with an auto.. The tuner will do wonders for that auto as well :good:
I was told that same thing earlier about my car having a 8.8 LSD already installed. That would explain the handling. Plus that would save money for another Mod. I am definitely getting the gears and tune. Since I live in California the CAI might be an issue but I dont mind holding off on that. I am going to look into REBELTX's suggestion about creating a CAI. If I can make one and keep it legal I will.

Thanks for the advice these forums are awesome. If you have more please let me know.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
yes...Sanguin made his own CAI.
Tunes are great too....if you car is out of warranty..I recommended...
Im waiting til mine is done cause the ones at the dealership are expensive.....

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
According to Ford Motor Company on Mustang club of America ad

On this I quote:
The 2011 Mustang V6 comes standard with the all-new 3.7L 4V Ti-VCT V6 engine which achieves an industry-exclusive 305 horsepower and 280 lb.-ft. of torque while delivering EPA-estimated 31 hwy MPG. A Ford Racing Technology-designed cold air induction delivers a cold, dense intake charge to the cylinders, which helps achieve increased horsepower. The engine is mated to a new 6-speed manual or automatic transmission. Also, new for 2011, the Mustang V6 features a dual exhaust system.
If you look close you will see that the air comes in from the front grill area on the 2011 up V6 3.7 engine. You won't get the noise that the CAI from Airaid or some other CAI"s will give you but as far as performance just put in a K&N drop in air filter and you will have way more air then your engine can use anyway. It just won't have that CAI extremely great sound.

If your not going to get a tuner and a larger throttle body to complement the CAI a K&N drop in will perform just as good. It just don't look or sound as good.

Ronnie

·
Registered
744 Posts
ronnie948 said:
On this I quote:

If you look close you will see that the air comes in from the front grill area on the 2011 up V6 3.7 engine. You won't get the noise that the CAI from Airaid or some other CAI"s will give you but as far as performance just put in a K&N drop in air filter and you will have way more air then your engine can use anyway. It just won't have that CAI extremely great sound.

If your not going to get a tuner and a larger throttle body to complement the CAI a K&N drop in will perform just as good. It just don't look or sound as good.

Ronnie
I saw on AFM some guy got his car dynoed before and after with a K&N drop in filter and lost 2 HP, with it installed, for the new 11+ V6.

Back on topic. I got a CAI before a tune and there was little gains but made a sweet noise. I got a tuner a few weeks later and then I could really feel the true gains. If you want a CAI and no tune you won't see any gains but it will make your car have a deeper/louder tone at WOT.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
The 99-04 didn't have engine covers...
The red circle and arrow is the plenum
The green circle and arrow is the throttle body
Yes I know what you're talking about now. My v6 didn't have one the GT does I believe. I was wondering what that was lol

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

I saw on AFM some guy got his car dynoed before and after with a K&N drop in filter and lost 2 HP, with it installed, for the new 11+ V6.

Back on topic. I got a CAI before a tune and there was little gains but made a sweet noise. I got a tuner a few weeks later and then I could really feel the true gains. If you want a CAI and no tune you won't see any gains but it will make your car have a deeper/louder tone at WOT.
I brought this to Ronnie's attention long ago. He didn't believe me. Glad you see (Ronnie) that I wasn't talking witchcraft. I'm getting a intake for the sound and to brighten the engine bay besides all black.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Come on White, I always believe you

I'm sure you know a lot more about our 3.7's then I do. I'm still learning.

I don't really think that you are going to gain any horsepower from any air cleaner element at the lower RPM's but of course when the engine starts sucking more air to burn the fuel a free flowing air cleaner will be much, much better and will produce more power.

So for the guy losing power:
K&N air filter

For several years I ran a K&N air filter in the stock airbox. Performance-wise, the K&N filter did not really show any significant increase in power, and a marginal increase in noise levels with the resonator still in place. It felt like there may have been a bit more power in the mid to high rpm ranges, and possibly a bit of a loss at the low end, but only a dyno run back to back vs. stock would really be able to tell. The difference was small, either way.

However, I am of the opinion that there is really no truly accurate way of measuring an engine's output, or more importantly, a gain in output from a modification, unless the tests are done in a controlled laboratory-type environment. There are far too many variables (engine temps, ambient temps, humidity, altitude, state of tune and/or wear and tear of an engine, dyno calibration) for your typical dyno to give truly accurate results.

That said, the only remotely accurate way for regular folk like you and I to measure gains in output is on a dyno (a precision acelerometer, such as a G-Tech, is even less accurate, but also useable). So we must live with the inaccuracies that come with the typical dyno or G-Tech and base our opinions on that.

So what am I trying to say? Only that small gains (say 4 or 6 horsepower) can come from an air filter, or simply from a cool, crisp day, and will be difficult to notice. Larger gains (10 to 20 horsepower or more) will definitly be noticeable, and will only come from smart mods and tuning.

Case in point, I know of at least one Si/SiR owner who dynoed their car before and after installing a K&N drop-in like yours and mine, and saw horsepower losses. Does this mean the K&N makes your engine lose power? I don't really think so. I think the difference in power is so little that a simple variable (such as the difference in engine temperature from one dyno run to the next) could mask any gains the K&N had, and even make it look like a loss in power.

What you do get when you purchase a K&N drop-in is a high quality, re-useable, freer-flowing air-filter element that retains the debris and water protection of the stock filter and airbox, with a slightly meaner induction growl and possibly small gains in horsepower. All for a relatively low price.

For those who want a little more power, the AEM cold air intake (CAI) has been known to make power on Si/SiR motors. This link shows a '98 GS-R that saw an 18 horsepower gain from just an AEM CAI. Now, his case seems to be pretty exceptional, but 10 to 15 horsepower should not be out of the question on a B series engine. I am currently running an AEM V2 CAI on the SiR, and in conjunction with an enlarged header collector, Carsound cat and stainless exhaust system, saw in increase of 16 horsepower, as recorded by my G-Tech.

This is my second K&N drop in fiter. The first was for my old '94 Si coupe. Unfortunately, the airbox for the '99 SiR is different than the '94 Si, even though the '99 SiR shares the same airbox as the '99 Si (U.S. EX). If you are in the Toronto area and have a '92-'95 Civic Si, I can sell you a slighly used K&N drop-in for cheap...
I'm just saying the K&N drop in is still better then the stock filter at the upper RPM leval and it does trap more dirt and smallers particals then a stock paper filter.

As I said before, "I'm gonna get an AIRAID CAI as soon as I can get the extra $$$.
Not for better performance but because they look really good when you pop the hood and they do sound really great when you floor it to pass somebody.

Here is a test Car Craft did between no air cleaner and a K&N
How to Big the Perfect Air Cleaner for Your Car - Car Craft Magazine

It kind of explains why the guy thought he lost two horsepower. Sitting still on the dyno is not like having air forced in to the aircleaner through the grill opening while driving down the highway.

Ford racing did a good job of designing our 3.7 air boxes but remember that they had to keep the noise as quiet as possable and still have excellent airflow. They also suggest the K&N drop in filer for the 3.7 engines.

Ronnie

1 - 20 of 56 Posts