Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been using the highest octane 91 or 93 not sure.. For the last month and today my car didnt start at all.. Im not using a tune. Is it safe ??

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Can foul plugs if your plugs can burn the fuel right but in all honesty running a higher octane fuel will niether help or hurt your car in most cases.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Btw the plug thing isnt tune related of course just an idea where to start looking for the issue..although i dont see a couple fouled plugs causing a no start condition. Did you do anything else? Id check battery and alt.

·
Banned
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Battery seems fine its only 6 months old.. It might be the alt.. But someones coming to check it out on monday

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Running the best gas possible is always a good idea. Your mpg's should go up slightly. Higher octane gas has extra additives the lower stuff doesn't. For example: cars that were produced when lead was put in gas, will not run rite on the lower octane gas because of the lack of the extra additives that replace the lead. Your cars computer should advance the timing for the higher octane.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Running higher octane than you are tuned for does nothing more than lighten your wallet. Many many studies on that already. The difference in the octane is the slower burn so that you don't get detonation. If you don't have pinging then you don't need the higher octane and the car won't "run better" nor will it "get better mpg".

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Running higher octane than you are tuned for does nothing more than lighten your wallet. Many many studies on that already. The difference in the octane is the slower burn so that you don't get detonation. If you don't have pinging then you don't need the higher octane and the car won't "run better" nor will it "get better mpg".
agree'd 110%....alot of people get confused over higher octane, but that's to be expected since companies want it to sell

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
JimC said:
My math says different on mpgs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I always used better gas .. Yea it's a little more but if ya do the math .. Here by me it's like 10 cents more .. So for 10 gal ( example ) the difference is one dollar... For better gas and not have my car start pinging ill pay the xtra buck.. I believe ya get Lil more mileage .. So it evens out... Just my opinion...

·
Registered
272 Posts
I always used better gas .. Yea it's a little more but if ya do the math .. Here by me it's like 10 cents more .. So for 10 gal ( example ) the difference is one dollar... For better gas and not have my car start pinging ill pay the xtra buck.. I believe ya get Lil more mileage .. So it evens out... Just my opinion...
Here it is more like $.40 per gallon more.

I tracked mileage for 10 tanks with 87 and 10 tanks with 93 after I had put 10k miles on my car and there was no difference in mileage.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Here it is more like $.40 per gallon more.

I tracked mileage for 10 tanks with 87 and 10 tanks with 93 after I had put 10k miles on my car and there was no difference in mileage.
Yea 40 cents alot more... Damn .. Then that's 4 dollars per 10 gallons don't blame ya.... On the miles per gallon... Might not be huge difference or none at all but mentally feels and runs better... Lol... Just feels cleaner in engine.. If it prevents something whatever it is... Ounce of prevention worth more than pound of cure...but for 40 cents more a gallon I wouldn't do it either...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yea 40 cents alot more... Damn .. Then that's 4 dollars per 10 gallons don't blame ya.... On the miles per gallon... Might not be huge difference or none at all but mentally feels and runs better... Lol... Just feels cleaner in engine.. If it prevents something whatever it is... Ounce of prevention worth more than pound of cure...but for 40 cents more a gallon I wouldn't do it either...
Or maybe not every tank .. Every so often though I don't think would hurt....

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Lol its all head games..you want to clean your engine just seafoam it at every 20k. Here its a 30 cent difference ..although i dont mind paying it if it was worth it. If a few bucks break the bank every fill up i shouldnt be in a mustang lol. If a person feels running a high octane helps let them run it...if they feel its the same on a stock tune thats good too.

·
Banned
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lol its all head games..you want to clean your engine just seafoam it at every 20k. Here its a 30 cent difference ..although i dont mind paying it if it was worth it. If a few bucks break the bank every fill up i shouldnt be in a mustang lol. If a person feels running a high octane helps let them run it...if they feel its the same on a stock tune thats good too.
Does seafoam really helps ?? Cus i did it to my 94 gt and didnt see any difference??

·
Registered
272 Posts
I spent almost $4000 in gas last year. (I only had the Mustang for 8 months of it and my older car got better gas mileage. I drive a lot.) That would mean it is roughly $400 a year more. I would need to see some benefit for $400.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I spent almost $4000 in gas last year. (I only had the Mustang for 8 months of it and my older car got better gas mileage. I drive a lot.) That would mean it is roughly $400 a year more. I would need to see some benefit for $400.
I just think better gas helps engine somehow like people say ya don't need it unless your engine starts pinging ... Well there is a reason it started pinging and if ya use better gas to stop it .. Then the better gas is doing something????? I just don't want it to start pinging that's a benefit to me.... But like I was saying its not that much more here like it is in other places so I say why not??????

·
Registered
79 Posts
Also this I know for a fact but not saying it was the gas it coulda been anything but..... My grandfather lived in ct. He would always put less octane gas in his vehicle .. Every year to pass emissions he would have to have a tune up and do some work to the vehicle to pass.. As he got older drove a lil less he started putting higher octane in it... Never had to do another thing to pass went through every time flying colors.. He since passed so I can't get any more info about . Was it the gas ??? Who knows ???? It's like like some people say synthetic oil is great others say waste of time ( not trying to start anything about oil so please don't start.. Lol ) I'm just saying its a personal preference and personal experience on what ya want I guess no real right or wrong....

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

But I guess we can say we all love stangs and that should be enough....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts