Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! I have an 04 v6 auto that I picked up for $800. It was running on 4 or 5 cylinders and barely idled. When I tore into it, I found that the ignition coil had been replaced with one from a 99 and wired incorrectly (Cyl 3 & 4 were swapped). The harmonic balancer was also from a 99. I replaced the plugs, wires, ignition coil. Harmonic balancer with parts for an 04 3.9 (The VIN indicates it's a 3.9) and the engine smoothed out a lot but it's still kind of rough. I've also replaced the engine and transmission mounts with Ford parts. I know the car was in an accident 5-6 years ago from the carfax and the front fender and bumper were replaced and poorly redone but what I don't know is if they dropped an engine from a 99 or just took parts off of a 99 (I assume 99 because the plug wires were the style for a 99 and the harmonic balancer was for an externally balanced engine). The labels on the driver's side valve cover are either absent or torn and unreadable. Is there some way to check to see which engine this is? I don't want to ruin the engine by running the wrong harmonic balancer and I'd like to get the vibration under control. 1500 RPM will rattle your teeth!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, isn't there a number on the engine? You should check this first and check the numbers with the others. If the engine is from 04, then check the compression and pressure, so that there are no overflows. I usually use free vehicle history reports for verification, you enter brand + keyword there. If anything, write, we'll figure it out

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I took an endoscope around the block to see if I could find any numbers. Nothing yet. The only remnants of the sticker on the driver's valve cover has been wiped out. I think I can make out a partial serial number 973 but the date and size are gone. I think I have a rear main seal leaking so I might have to pull it apart to get to the seal anyways. If I do, I will see what flexplate is on there. I am guessing the RMS went because it was run with the wrong harmonic balancer on it for a year or so before I bought it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts