1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
6,131 Posts
It should be fine.

·
Administrator
6,131 Posts
When I buy pads, they usually come with lube, and I use that. If they don’t come with lube, I use PTFE lube. However, I doubt there’s any great concern to worry about with the copper compound, but I haven’t ever used it or researched it myself.

Knowing how thoroughly you research this type of thing, I expect you will be the one to school ME :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
6,131 Posts
So this is my first brake job and so far everything went well. While i was working on it i noticed the brake pad back plate had 3 small protruding metal nipple that would rub against the piston boot when you slide it on and probably pushing against it while operating. Whats the point of the 3 nipples? Wont that damage the rubber boot in the long run? I had to replace both of my front caliper due to ripped boot not sure if its related this is.
Are you talking about the plate that the pads are attached/bonded to? Can you show us a pic of what you’re concerned about? Also, I don’t think this was the cause of rubber dust boot deterioration. There’s normally a thIn metal shim-like plate between the back of the pad & the Caliper (and this is what the piston pushes on. Either way, none of this should damage your piston dust-boot.

Another question is recently i got some wheel lock nut. The manual says to just take one lug nut out and replace it with the lock nut but my question is wouldnt cause wrap rotor? Normally you have to torque each lug hut using star pattern to create even pressure on the rotor to prevent warpping.
No, it won’t warp anything.

·
Administrator
6,131 Posts
Unless there is some direct evidence that it’s actually causing accelerated wear at the points of contact, I wouldn’t stress over it much. Just drive it a while, and pull them for inspection if needed. You might call PowerStop and discuss your concerns with them. They may offer some sort of solution to mitigate unwanted friction.

Also, there nothing wrong with coating the contact area on/around those bumps with PTFE grease to eliminate any friction at that point.

Reactions: winkawak

·
Administrator
6,131 Posts
Will piston make contact with pad evenly once i pump my brake to bleed the brakes or break in my pad?
It’s probably fine. Once you drive it, things generally settle into position. You’ll know after you drive it, and bed-in the pads.

Reactions: winkawak
1 - 5 of 5 Posts