Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While attending a car meet over the weekend, when it got dark they turned on the portable lights that were just across from where I was parked and I noticed something strange with my hood. I have the Cervini Cobra R that came preprinted. As you can see in the pics below, the paint is clearly not right. I don't really notice a big difference during the day, but under the portable lights it sticks out like a sore thumb! Everyone walking by noticed and mentioned that the hood didn't match. I have contacted Cervini and opened a claim. I'm waiting to see what they say.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439224402.730581.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439224418.685095.jpg

Chris

·
Super Moderator
17,969 Posts
I was going to say that they can't always make it match 100% but damn...

Get your bank involved if Cervinis gives you the runaround. This is why its very often better to get stuff like this painted locally where they can match the paint although sometimes with metallics that is not possible.

Let us know how it turns out. I'm an hour from Cervinis and will be buying one of their hoods for my 00 eventually but might think twice if they are screwing ppl over.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far, I have been emailing them back and forth sending them various pics of the hood. They asked if I was the original owner, and if the fenders had ever been repainted. I ensured them that I bought the car new, and it has never been repainted. They said that they spray this color on a daily basis, and it's about impossible for them to get it wrong. I sent them picks of the hood in daylight, and I'm waiting to hear back. I'll keep you informed.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
17,969 Posts
I'm just curious what you think that his bank is going to do?
If they guarantee the paint is going to match and it does not and they won't make good on it he can get the bank involved. Much easier if he used a credit card and if the product is not as advertised he can get his money back.

So far, I have been emailing them back and forth sending them various pics of the hood. They asked if I was the original owner, and if the fenders had ever been repainted. I ensured them that I bought the car new, and it has never been repainted. They said that they spray this color on a daily basis, and it's about impossible for them to get it wrong. I sent them picks of the hood in daylight, and I'm waiting to hear back. I'll keep you informed.

Chris
Sounds like a typical rep, and they probably do a ton of hoods and get 99% of them right but that does not mean they can't mess up. Actually it is impossible for them not to have a screw up every now and then. Just stick to your guns and do not settle for anything less than a either a written guarantee that they will cover the cost of getting it 100% right by a local shop or they ship you a new one and pay for return shipping on their hood. You should not be out a dime over the actual cost of what you paid them originally. Just time and aggravation which, unfortunately, you don't get paid for...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm hoping they will just cover the cost for a local shop to repaint.
I didn't pay with a credit card, so I'm not sure the bank would be of much help. I used my debit card, so I'll check to see if they can do anything.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
17,969 Posts
Oof, online buying 101. NEVER use a debit card. Not only for chargeback/fraud purposes but someone gets ahold of that info and they'll drain your checking.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Oof, online buying 101. NEVER use a debit card.
+1. Though I would extend to never using a debit card, even at brick-and-mortar stores...once the money's out of your bank account, it's gone.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
While attending a car meet over the weekend, when it got dark they turned on the portable lights that were just across from where I was parked and I noticed something strange with my hood. I have the Cervini Cobra R that came preprinted. As you can see in the pics below, the paint is clearly not right. I don't really notice a big difference during the day, but under the portable lights it sticks out like a sore thumb! Everyone walking by noticed and mentioned that the hood didn't match. I have contacted Cervini and opened a claim. I'm waiting to see what they say.
View attachment 188988
View attachment 188989

Chris
There is some more information that some might like to know.

1) When did you purchase the hood? Is it possible you drove or live somewhere were the was a discharge of some type? (Manufacturing Plant that discharged chemicals into the air? A crew doing some type of road work?

2) Your pictures don't add up with your story. You have a 1990 LX 5.0 Convertible listed. I sure know the mustang that Mustang you have showing the paint job isn't a 1990. 2007-2010?

That's the reason your paint doesn't match, you stole someone else's car. :banghead:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, you got me. I retrofitted the 1990 hood onto my 2014, and I'm just looking for someone to paint it for free.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
17,969 Posts
+1. Though I would extend to never using a debit card, even at brick-and-mortar stores...once the money's out of your bank account, it's gone.
Honestly... I have not had a problem yet using debit at a brick and mortar store but that's good advice. But the only real surefire way to not get hosed is to not use a debit card period. Take cash out from the teller with a bank account number and photo ID and credit card for everything else. Kinda inconvenient in today's world but it is what it is.

I will say that my bank has a really good fraud dept and if the debit card gets hit with something that is legit fraudulent the money gets put back in. Happened to someone else I know that had money vanish and I've even gotten phone calls from them to verify transactions I did were legit. Mostly when I was flying and they would see my card used in my hometown one day and then in Kentucky and then in Texas (example) and they'd flag it and call.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I did not think the front fascia of my 2013 Escape matched the hood and fenders. Granted it was slight and needed the correct light and angle for it to pop differently. I drove it to my trusted body shop and after 5 guys looked at it and had varying opinions; the conclusion drawn was that plastic and metal boy parts very often have a slight difference because of the differences in materials painted. I purchased pre-painted mods from Roush and 3D Carbon with out any problems. Sorry for yours.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought about that, being two different types of material. This almost seems as though the metal flake is finer on the hood. The metal flake on the fenders seem courser. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439399056.235539.jpg

Chris

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think my guys said something about the refactory quality of the material. What ever the reason, the company has the responsibility to formulate the paint to match the OE color and make the part match. It is not like you pay them at a cut-rate price.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Paint is tricky each car can be a little different. It could also be that when they mixed the paint it could have been just a little bit off then take into consideration paint fade from being outside. And you're hood is the only thing which was painted usually when a vehicle gets a new body part or repair after collision the shop will blend the paint in to the rest of the car to make it match better.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do understand that there are a lot of variables that come into play here, and I am fine with the hood being "a little off" but when I saw it under those lights the other night, that is not acceptable.

Chris

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Wouldn't bother me. Looks fine in the daylight. Part of buying aftermarket stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Super Moderator
17,969 Posts
It still should not be as off as it is.

·
Super Moderator
17,969 Posts
No I edited my post after I saw like 3 replies in 5 seconds.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts