Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! New to the forum! I hope to turn my recently purchased SN95 project into a nice fun weekend toy. I did buy this car extremely cheap, knowing it would need some work, so lets jump in! 1997 Mustang GT, auto. 125,660 miles. 7/10 interior. 5/10 exterior. But first things first, I want to get it running right. The car will turn over and idle very rough, seems to be running EXTREMELY rich. Plugs on the passenger side are all wet with gas. When you try to give it gas it will just bog badly, it was a...you know what....to try to load on the trailer...should of bought a winch haha. you can put it in drive and reverse and it will take off with minimal gas, but seeing anything about 15 mph or 2000 rpm is almost impossible. So it has me thinking, Coils? plugs/wires? IAC? Fuel pressure regulator? leaky injectors? Car is stock offer than some axle back exhaust the prev owner had.

Also when the vehicle starts, it's like it's gasping for air hardcore! haha Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Start with a basic tune up. Change the air filter, plugs, rebuild the coils, clean the MAF, change O rings on the injectors, clean the throttle body, etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay! Have an update! Like I said I bought this car on the cheap and expected to have to do some work to get it right. So I found a few things, I think the fuel pressure regulator wasn't connected...please let me know if this is right. And where does/ should this be connected? Pics would be preferred. Also I found 2 other things I have a question about I will provide pics. First pic is the FPR and a connector...do these go together?

Second is a picture of a connection of some sort on the passenger side coil pack...where and what is it?

Third Pic is well...idk! This is more of a...is this right if not what do I need to do to make it right? And what the hell is it? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
yes the FP regulator needs vaccume line , there is a ground wire on coil bracket , is that it , I think the other is the IAC valve

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes the FP regulator needs vaccume line , there is a ground wire on coil bracket , is that it , I think the other is the IAC valve

I was eyeing my drivers side coil to sort of A/B it to the passenger side one, and the passenger side is missing some type of tiny black box with a plug in on it, I believe the wire I have pictured goes to the black block that is suppose to be bolted on to the coil, and the wire is missing the plug attachment. Any idea where I can get the plug attachment and box?

Also more details on this vacuum line? Pics please? Where should it lead to and any links where I can buy this line?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Reading the codes will probably give you a wealth of good info. I'd do this before spending time on guessing. But, ill guess you have several issues to resolve and are already on the right track.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I got an OBD reader today. I'll let you know what codes it throws. Could any of you guys provide pics for how the red vac lines run? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE. Connected some missing connections the PO must of overlooked, ran new red vacuum line for mustang, and put a fresh battery in it. Started it up, it's improved a lot, no codes for some odd reason....still runs rich on the passenger side it burns your eyes lol...if that makes sense? Pulled the plugs they are pretty black and they are autolites, they look like they need replaced. Some of the boots on the wires are in sorta rough condition.

The car idles 100x better. No gasping or "bouncy" Rpms! However, it falls flat when trying to get above 2000 Rpms starts to struggle.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Rebuild those cops the boot and spring and put fresh plugs motor craft and it will even 100 times better than now as for the fumes is it gas if so replace the o rings on the injectors

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On a side note, I'm planning on sending my injectors to a company to have them rebuilt to save some money, cause I'm pretty sure the stock injectors will handle my plans for this car. (P&P Pi swap, CAI, long tubes, O/R X pipe, exhaust, Tune, and 4.10s)

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
On a side note, I'm planning on sending my injectors to a company to have them rebuilt to save some money, cause I'm pretty sure the stock injectors will handle my plans for this car. (P&P Pi swap, CAI, long tubes, O/R X pipe, exhaust, Tune, and 4.10s)
Stock injectors will do fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are there anymore mods (while staying naturally aspirated), I am missing out on?
I have already started some weight reduction, rear seat delete/spare tire delete.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
You can add a larger throttle body and intake plenum.

Considering what you have listed I think that is as far as you can go with bolt on parts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know this is a beat to death question, and all I expect is a ballpark figure, what do you anticipate the 1/4 and HP will be with said mods?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts