Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's too bad that nobody autox's. It's really fun.

This forum needs to liven up. Autox is such a kickass sport.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Enlighten.

I can go to a dragstrip on street night and run a quarter-mile. How does one begin in autocross? What national or regional organizing bodies are there? What are the requirements? Yadda yadda yadda

Don't just say it's "kickass." Explain and enlighten, please.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
BlueDonkey said:
Enlighten.

I can go to a dragstrip on street night and run a quarter-mile. How does one begin in autocross? What national or regional organizing bodies are there? What are the requirements? Yadda yadda yadda

Don't just say it's "kickass." Explain and enlighten, please.
Why, of course I will!

The national organizing body of Autocross is the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America): http://www.scca.org . This is further divided into regional organizational bodies which can be found on their site.

"Solo II is the SCCA brand name for autocross competition. Solo II events are driving skill contests that emphasize the driver's ability and the car's handling characteristics. This is accomplished by driving a course that is designated by traffic cones on a low hazard location, such as a parking lot or inactive airstrip. While speeds are no greater than those normally encountered in legal highway driving, the combination of concentration and car feedback creates an adrenaline pumping experience. It is like being in a movie chase scene, only you are holding onto the steering wheel instead of a box of popcorn!"

Basically there are regional Solo II events all over the country at airports, large parking lots, military bases, etc. You can find all the events scheduled near you by going to http://www.scca.org/Inside/Index.asp?IdS=01403D-EB63160&Reference=RegionalSites&~= , you can also find contact information and local websites of your regional Solo II coordinators.

If you live in California, or even if you don't because there's a lot of info here, you can check out: http://www.solo2.com

Basically the event goes something like this: You sign up, go to the event, walk the course over a bunch of times so you don't get confused in the sea of cones. People get assigned to work the cones (meaning to stand them back up after someone inevitably hits them) until its your turn. Then you get in your car and drive as smooth and as quickly as you can through the course until you reach the finish line. It's timed, of course. You will be placed in a class with other cars based on your mods.

Hm. I'm sure I could say more... But it's pretty late. And I have work in a few hours.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
I would love to build my car for that and do it if it was any closer to me...everywhere is at least 6 hours away from me...Maybe I can get a local club started and we use the old air strip...could work.

·
Registered
676 Posts
hey im here in San Antonio Taxas and i would really like to get into auto-X but the link you gave wont work so i cant find any info for my region.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
I want to but there is no where close to go do it that I know if, well a place near here but not sure how its set up.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have to drive between 1.5 and 4 hrs to get to autocrosses. It's still worth it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
timpryor said:
hey im here in San Antonio Taxas and i would really like to get into auto-X but the link you gave wont work so i cant find any info for my region.
Fixed the regional link. Apparently SCCA updated their website.

Like Horse said... if you actually get out to one, you'll find it well worth your time.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Here
this is the list of all the texas regions within the southwest divison

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Hey, my local AutoX is at the local speedway. Might check them out sometime. :cool:

I've always wanted to do AutoX, so much more skill involved than just regular drag racing.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I thought about it..but I'd like to keep my tires as long as possible.

that and I am just a drag racing kinda person.

Id rather be pushed back into my seat rather than side to side.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I can see the up side to both. I however, would rather race through dozens of turns than just go straight... I do like getting thrown back in the seat though. Then again, you get to do that a lot in autocross too, and it's the really nice first jolt of getting pressed into your seat. I don't know about the rest of you, but after 2nd gear, my seat-pressing just isn't what it used to be. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts